Almost afraid to post this, but interested in opinion..

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LhurgoyfXIII, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Thundersnake Elder

I agree it's not clear, but I think he's having issue with how many people treat new and returning players. Personally, I've seen people treat new or returning players with thinly veiled contempt on live servers but especially on TLP the few times I've tried them. However, he may be talking about something he perceives in the way many play the game these days. Rushing to max level when we create new toons and telling any new or returning players to do the same thinking that it would be the best option for them. I personally believe that if they can or want to level slow they should. I've seen to many returning players leave soon after they come back because they get overwhelmed or fail to find what they came back for, I have a feeling its nostalgia in many cases. There are reasons many of us rush to max level, mainly because we know that trying to level up slowly and find groups in sub max level content isn't really easy if your not on a TLP or on a higher population server.
  2. Bobokin Augur

Which server are you on?

There are other casual guilds on other servers that also have low level groups.
  3. svann Augur

In my experience low level new players are generaly cut slack so long as they arent asking for handouts. The real insults are given to L115 players that never learned their class. Those may or may not be new players.
    Celephane and Tucoh like this.
  4. code-zero Augur

I'm just guessing here but if the OP injects the sort of stream-of-consciousness monologue into /gen it's going to invite the nasty and rude to do what they do.

Also, on all non TLP servers you can play free for quite a while no money out of pocket at all.

OTOH if he's asking random level 115's for powerleveling and whatnot that's likely to provoke a nasty response from even the most mellow player
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Consider me in the confused as hell camp.

I read the OP 3x and I still cannot objectively identify what you are actually complaining about or what you are seeking to achieve, it's a mess of thoughts and references that are so vague & directionless that they have not really given anyone a clear idea of what you are getting at.

Anyone looking at the OP therefore has to interpret it in some kind of quasi-religious "Preacher interpreting ancient scripture for the modern age" way - that's not helpful to you clearly.

Cut down on all the pointless waffle & try and be more concise in outlining your aims & objectives or your complaints & the responders will be more able to offer constructive feedback that you can use.

1. What don't you like, use as few words as possible to outline this, bullet point it if this helps as an exercise to concentrate your thoughts into specific points.
    2. What are you looking to objectively achieve, again concise thoughts convey a clearer message.

Word salads are not going to help you.

All I could glean from this was that you don't like how some players have been treating you when you came back to EQ from a long hiatus, and in an effort to express yourself you used as many words as you possibly could.

You actually just ended up muddying your message to a ridiculous degree.
    yepmetoo and Maedhros like this.
  6. Maedhros High King

I'm glad I am not the only one that's confused.
    I can only imagine if someone spoke like that on one of the TLP's in general chat that they would get ripped to shreds.
    Definitely find a very casual guild on a live server. That's your best bet.
  7. LhurgoyfXIII New Member

Thank you so very much. All I was looking for was an educated answer... I understand to all still following I might not have been thorough enough but I could type a book if you wanted me to go there...

Anyways, thank you for being part of the few who understand what I was trying to say and decided to make an attempt to help, instead of just criticizing, making fun and trolling.. ugh.
    :)
    I really appreciate it.
  8. Szilent Augur

It is not remotely trolling for people to honestly express that your thread starter was horribly unclear and directionless. They (and I) can't understand from it what difficulty you're having or what resolution you think there should be.
    Endorek, Barton and Skuz like this.
  9. LhurgoyfXIII New Member

I would like to say for the record:

Just like I've always been in this game, i wasn't looking for anyone to solve anything per-say, and I didn't explain everything because it'd take days... and no one wants to hear anyone's BS when it comes down to it.

I just wanted to say enough to get an understanding and possibly get my point across, as i've encountered many players who feel the same way, but instead have just left the game entirely.

So I do apologize if I upset anyone but that was not my intention at all..
    I was simply just looking for information and trying to get an opinion.
    Not everyone wants/needs something from you..
    sometimes a little help is just nice...
  10. svann Augur

I honestly dont think anyone is trying to put an end to returning players and dont understand how you could have thought that.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. LhurgoyfXIII New Member

Well when you ask for hours how to make noodles and all you get is nothing but ppl making fun of you for not knowing why, followed by the great " go google it and figure it out yourself " response..
    When of course that's an option.. just as any question asked tbh..

But it used to be about helping.. that's just one of about 1,000 examples that ive not only lived but seen myself.

If you're not up to key as a returning player you're just not as good as an end gamer, and most of the time, not worth the effort..
    And they are good at making you feel that way.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think your entire premise is garbage.

9 out of 10 times if someone asks a question in general channel (outside of 3am or whatever), you get helpful responses to help the person understand and solve the issue.

There are the resident trolls of any server that live for "lulz", but there aren't many and they get trashed way more than they are capable of trashing others.

People asked you quite clearly what the problem is, you don't answer. Your entire deal is "things aren't like they used to be". Yep. Sure aren't.

I'm not an adult feeling actual tears in my eyes after losing my 3rd level in kith forest trying to get my corpse before it rots in the middle of the night, out of frustration and anger.

I'm not an adult putting my fist through a wall.

Both things I did back in the 1999-2000 era of this game.

I can reminisce with the rest about those times, and I'll complain about things being "too easy" at times, but the reality is that there are quality of life improvements to this game that makes it easier.

Other than that, the game evolves and moves on and grows.

Nothing stops you from leveling as slow as you want. And if there were these armies of people quitting "everyday" because they feel as you do, well, gosh, seems like you all could get together, make a guild, and do whatever you want at the pace you want.
    Xyphen, Duder, Skuz and 4 others like this.
  13. enclee Augur

I agree with YM2, the number of trolls is minuscule compared to the early years. The community is more welcoming and accommodating of returning players than it has ever been. The level of “toxic” behavior of the old days is almost immeasurable, but nowadays you’re more than likely going to encounter apathy versus hostility.
    Duder, Skuz and Belkar_OotS like this.
  14. nemotech Lorekeeper

wow...and the passive aggressive non sequitur award goes to...
    I always found a group of people I could enjoy the game with on Live and ignore those i found disruptive. I dont play TLP, its just not my cup of tea, as it is said. I have friends on FV, E Marr, Tunare and Test. some of which I have known for decades, and it took time. having taken a couple breaks of 1-5 years over the past 21 years of EQ. I do know nuance and often humor gets lost in chat but, lofty expectations of nostalgia and low threshold for setbacks or time investment often come thru very clearly as negative. I know after a 5 year break 2003-2008 I was invited back by a friend. I was overwhelmed with some changes but, I looked up things online. Googled and even found TS something i would try. I guess you get what you put into it. I sincerely hope your experience moves to enjoyable. There are def issues that arise in current game play, and styles but there are also so many more options to provide me with enjoyable and satisfying game play.
  15. Belkar_OotS Augur

I hated and loathed parts of the old game. Corpse runs (I can't tell you how many times I made the run alone, as a cleric for PUGs because they were too lazy to help me or even cast invis). I hated taking 15 minutes running across theme Karanas. I hated being locked to the computer just in case someone in group decided to be stupid. I felt I could never AFK. Looting corpses, or more specifically deaths to AEs while you were low HP looting your gear.

There are people who liked the parts I loathed. Many aspects of the game are exactly the same as it has always been. Some parts come and go in waves and cycles. Some parts are new. The game itself I think is generally much better now.

However, the people are the same as they always were You have people who want to help everyone, people who want to help their community, people who help their friends or only themselves.

The game community is what you make of it.

New and returning people forget that this is a social game. That means... You invest in others with faith that they will respond in kind. New and returning people don't have a network built that consumes the time they spend in game like a veteran will. I can load up and I have 100 people to play with already. I am invested in them and they with me, I don't need to actively forge new relationships.

The challenge for a new person is forging enough relationships to fill their needs.

Your relationship with the people in the game is not the same as it was during your nostalgic recollection. A pure grouper needs way more connections to accomplish things at a "at my own pace" level.

The best thing I ever did in EQ was join a raiding guild. Set time to get things done, lots of people with the same goals, and people who also needed connections to do what they wanted to do when not raiding.
    enclee likes this.
  16. Strawberry Augur

They used to have 'Beginner' servers like Morden Rasp where many returnees went too. Maybe they will revive a server like that one day, I don't know.
  17. code-zero Augur

That should be Vox though try telling anyone they should dip their toe in there instead of plunging headlong into a TLP
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Greml New Member

I dont think writing more words on this is going to help anyone understand you.

Are you saying that people are being mean when you ask for help?
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So, you don't want help & you don't want to bleat but you did ask for help & you did whine?

Did you just need a hug?

What point was that exactly? I still don't think you've managed to convey exactly what that was.

Upset? You give yourself too much credit. Bloody confused? Yes, you knocked it out of the park there.

What information did you want?
    What opinions on what subjects were you looking for?
    What help did you w........wait, you DON'T want something or you do? Make your mind up.

Are you entirely sure there is only one of you in your head?
    Raccoo and Duder like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Your understanding of thorough is very strange, being thorough does not entail the written equivalent of explosive diarrhoea, it is about explaining yourself in a cogent & meaningful way that gets your point across in as few words as possible not in as many words as is possible & losing any semblance of a vaguely relevant point in the process.

You very probably could write a book on the meaning of the word "a" but nobody would understand any of it & would likely regret every moment of having been crazy enough to start reading it.

But to give you the help you asked for yet didn't want.

http://www.eqtraders.com/

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/

https://eqresource.com/

https://www.themuse.com/advice/3-smart-ways-to-keep-yourself-from-rambling

https://www.chatelaine.com/living/budgeting/how-to-speak-with-confidence-and-get-your-point-across/

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/getting-your-point-across-2275124