Rationality of permacamping

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Apr 20, 2020.

1. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I guess I will ask again. What is stopping you or a united group, from going to one of these truly permacamped areas and still doing your thing? It sounds like the players need to police the servers themselves in some of these instances.
  2. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

The problem is most of these spawns are 3+ day respawns and if you don't know when they're due to respawn that's a lot of time to sit at a camp hoping it spawns and you kill it before the other guy. It can certainly be done, but it's not as easy as just showing up to the camp.

I still think live is due for AoC's. They're already made and designed, I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to enable them on live servers.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Permacampers - at least with regard to some Kunark and most Luclin mobs - have a rough idea of the spawn timer (12 hour window). If you show up in the middle of this window, they already have their character set and taking the camp for yourself may have some ramifications (i.e. permacamper may threaten to petition, shame you in General Chat - though I doubt people will have sympathy for permacampers). Though, I have no doubt the DPS race rules apply.

I guess a good counter is to park your own box next to permacamper to stress them out. This forces them to check the mob in quicker intervals (every 5-15 mins) than they would otherwise in an empty zone (every hour or so). It may be particularly effective in late night/early morning hours.
    svann likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You're looking at it wrong. You don't need a lot of people camping together for days to thwart the @$$hole.

You make a schedule, and you get people to sign up in groups of 6-12 people, and everybody takes a shift, for 1-2 hours. Problem solved. That's assuming it's the whole server who's had it with this person. If it's just a small group, well then, you'll have to camp it for a long time. Which is no different than if the jerk wasn't there, right?
  5. Triconix Augur

So try to convince 5 other people to sit in a zone for no reason for no self benefit every single day in order to get what you need?

1. Good luck trying to convince 5 other people to do that (let alone 11).
    2. Good luck trying to convince those people to do it every single day for 3-4 in a row.

The idea of AoCs should be expanded to even the PoP zones. Having an entire server fight for PoP raid mobs that can be killed with a level 85 heroic for the best aug in the game is nonsense. How is somebody going to reasonably get 20+ mobs killed in static zones with 3 day timers, that are normally perma camped in a reasonable time frame?
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Look, I agree, all servers should have AoCs. However, that's not in our control. So you have to look for options you can control.

It sounded like a lot of people were annoyed about this, hence my suggestion. If it's just you (or a small group of people), then you have fewer options.
  7. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I am not really sure what shouting about someone stealing a permacamped 24/7 site is going to actually accomplish or why you should actually care. Obviously you have to pick your target. You do not want to force off a legit person or group who just happened to start or is in the middle of camping. But if we all know who are the ones doing it, then I see no reason to let them ruin the game for everyone else. If you need gear to proceed, you need it. Farming it for what ever other means, especially greed, is not of anyone else's concern. As far as convincing others to help that could be a pickle, but it can be done and should be if admins or dungeon masters are not willing to step in.