ToFS Raid 1 Difficulty / Mechanics concerns

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Kinadorm Augur

I would like to see the ice/slide effect from this floor removed. Sliding around from room to room is very annoying even when you go slow. I find this raid more aggravating than just about any other raid in recent years and it is largely due to sliding around on that ice.
    Rolaque, Raccoo and Yinla like this.
  2. enclee Augur

I agree with you that it’s aggravating, but there needs to be some raids that force you to change away from what you’re used to.
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Drakang Augur

The sliding is annoying but can be dealt with. Its needing more DPS than the next 4 raids and a massive amount of luck on spawns that makes it frustrating. Our first few wins were after enrage. We had gotten to beating it with a few minutes to spare. Mass rezz zerg fests are no fun at all.
  4. Cicelee Augur

I don't care if the ice slipping and sliding is something we can adjust to, or can deal with, or whatever.

It is insanely frustrating and halfling halfling dwarf halfling stupid.

The ice sliding is the ONLY thing that is challenging about this event. I guarantee that if DPS did this event on concrete or dirt, that guilds can handle it with no concerns. But not being able to stop on a dime, sliding past your hallway that you have to go to, and sliding down into the pit does not make for a fun event. At all. On our last victory I managed to actually cast some spells on monsters, which made me feel like I was actually playing my character.

I don't think testing my skill set and talent as a raider should be how well I can walk on ice. Sorry.
    Rolaque, Yinla and Winnowyl like this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

Your raid would probably have more DPS if 1/3-3/4 of your DPS could actually DPS and not spend running and sliding on ice...
    Winnowyl and enclee like this.
  6. Drakang Augur

So from winning with 2 mins to spare to named at 38% at power up. We did heal him 3 times. So 32% if we had not killed 3 non restless. We can trim that down some. But that's still significantly harder. And higher DPS required than TOFS 2 or 3 or either Kael.
  7. farsight New Member

So like this seems stupid. What's the point of the guys that you can't mezz, can't tank, can't root, can't dps? Should we be pulling the rooms with pacify? Pacy a target then pull the other with percision? Is that really what I am missing here?

Then this not enough in the center crap. Sure the point of the raid is to have 18 people in the center and not have anything to do(because the center mobs don't spawn) If they do spawn, then you can do something but not really. They float to obscure places that make it hard to dps. So the entire purpose of you being there in the center is to watch your buff go from III to IV and wait for your turn to go dps a mob?

I am so glad that we already beat this and we don't technically have to come back and do this. Sure we'll miss out on ToFs 2/3. Who cares... It's not worth caring about the loot from those zones putting up with this ToFs1 crap.

Anyways, got the win before the nerf! My remorse goes out to guild who haven't beat this yet. Good luck not rage quitting when learning this event!

The whole purpose of this raid seems to be this. Some people do stuff while most of the people are afk. But your not really AFK, your just mostly afk. See you still need to DPS, but move the mob to the center too much and he DT's, so how dare you try and think about DPSing.

Who wants that crap. Here we are 5 months into the expansion. 4 months into this event being live and now it's a crap raid? Now you make the blocker? Why?

Did the dev's just wake up one day and say, "You know that ToFs raid. I don't undertstand why we made it so that guilds could pass it. Why don't we make it horrible and increase the raid currency of the other 6 raids. That was it looks like we are giving them something, but in reality we are only giving something to those that really really can tolerate the sucky things in life..."
  8. Mookus Augur

Center groups should still dps halls when there’s no restless shades. Well, ranged dps can.

I don’t mind the ice at all. Enjoy the challenge of getting to the right halls or dpsing the right halls from the center. Use jump a lot to maneuver on ice. Some may not realize that.
  9. Whulfgar Augur

Its a sad day when the hardest raid in tov is t2, and only because its broken..
  10. Drakang Augur

And after our 8th shade kill they seemed to stop spawning. Thought we got 10. Could have just been really bad luck but it was a few repops without shades.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Took us 13 minutes to beat it, didn't seem any different. Didn't see the initial bugged version since we took a week off after beating the expansion, but it was either fixed or people whining about nothing.
    Maedhros likes this.
  12. Zunnoab Augur

This is where the devs need to think before making a change:
    Does this make the game more fun?

If you turn an event into a chore for all but the strongest, something is terribly wrong. We can do the event fine, but I feel for forces weaker struggling with this mess. It's too soon to judge just how awful it is in its current form, but messing with it was completely unnecessary. Even worse still it being the first of the three. At least the retune of the second event didn't go overboard, it seems. (The guests are supposed to be tankable by non-tanks, and it still seems that is the case.)

People didn't "whine" the patch notes admit the event was broken. It's still a random number generator event to a point. As to the event in its current form, it's way too soon for me to have a solid opinion on that.
  13. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It's a horrible design choice with no defensible reason for existing. The non-restless mobs either need removed or some mechanic added that allows a controllable despawn of them.

I agree with Zunnoab that the changes have had the opposite of making it more fun. And, let's be honest, it's a video game. The entire reason for it existing is to be fun. That doesn't mean it can't be challenging. Challenge can be fun. This event isn't challenging; it's annoying and frustrating. Why 10 Shades and 25 Dogs/Skellies? Those are completely arbitrary numbers. If the event was designed with this in mind, why is there no event message keeping track of these numbers? Why are there mobs that hit just as hard as normal ones but cannot be killed or removed in any manner so tanks just have to eat the damage until they randomly despawn? No-damage offtank mobs have existed in previous events, but there has pretty much always been some controllable mitigating factor to them.

The event mechanics, at their core, are not bad. It's simply the implementation of them that makes them so frustrating to play.
    Zunnoab, Yinla and enclee like this.
  14. kookoo Augur

it hurt our guild a lot ( we were able to beat all 3 in TOFS ) 1st one was not easy but we were able to beat it.
    now since we can't beat it ( not even close ), we are missing 60 tov currencies every 4,5 days and no more key for the evolving earring.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Keys have nothing to do with the earring.
  16. Whulfgar Augur

ToV has to be one of .. if not.. thee easist expansion ive ever played.

It literally has 1 hard raid, and thats tofs1 now that its been funktified..

If your stuck in a guild that cant beat it. Due to lack of players.. lack of skilled players.. or any thing like this.. recruit recruit recruit..

Did i mention recruit ?
  17. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Let me reach into my magic recruit hat and pull out some more recruits!

The relative ease of ToV isn't in question here. It's the bad design of this 1 raid that is being discussed.
    The relative ease of ToV is a result of a new style of raid releases which led to raids that had not been player-tested being released. I expect next expansion will be better, if they stick with the same style of raid release. But, that's not what we're talking about here.
    Zunnoab and Yinla like this.
  18. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

This is simply not true. Player testing is not to blame for any of the ToV issues.

All ToV raids were finished before the end of Beta and were thoroughly tested by guilds and much feedback given. Except for Velks (which still doesn't have that many changes), all raids when open were pretty much exactly what guilds saw in Beta … which for me personally, was incredibly disappointing given the artificial delay in release.

I know the feedback we gave on our developer raids and I'm sure other guilds can say the same … and very little was done besides make the raids actually winnable or fix horribly broken mechanics. Once that was done, work seemed to stop on a particular raid and that was that until release.

I dislike changing raids, especially ramping up difficulty after release. I think the changes to ToFS event 1 are unnecessary and do more to hurt the raiding game than help. We beat it tonight on an optional night of raiding, but the amount of spawns especially shades still seemed to haphazard and too RNGy. It does still feel like an unfinished raid.

But ToFS1 specifically and ToV raiding in general is entirely in the developers court and not a single shred of blame be placed at any players' feet. We did the testing. No one listened.
    Sancus, Remien, Yinla and 4 others like this.
  19. Maedhros High King

Nothing is really any more difficult about Heart of Frozen shadows today, post last weeks hotfix, than it was 2 weeks ago.
    I suppose in its current form, you need to make sure you don't kill any of the non-restless mobs and thats about the only difference that matters.
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  20. Maedhros High King

I am going on the record in opposition of this as well. We tested these raids and did them in beta and very little is different about any of them.
    The simple truth is that they wanted easier raids, and they made easier raids.
    The delayed release has had no effect on this whatsoever.
    There was TONS of feedback about raids being too easy during beta. In fact just to remind us that they "could" make the exact same raids that are easy, hard, they "turned a few knobs" and the mobs were quadding for 80k. They turned the knobs back down the next day or so and thats what we see now.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.