Bst/Mage/? Crew - advice needed

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by andromeda, Apr 23, 2020.

1. andromeda New Member

I started a bst/mage duo on a live server. I want to add a 3rd toon, but I need some advice. My goal is mostly to get to max level and see newer content (I've played on TLP servers for years). I also want to be able to do missions / progression to gear up, and back farm older raid content.

Here are the classes I'm considering. Any advice is appreciated.
    • Bard: Pros - haste, overhaste, DD weapon procs for pets, pulling, mez. Cons - Mezzes more slowly than a chanter, and no AoE stun. That could be a problem when using a pet tank.
    • Enchanter - haste, overhaste, but not as much of a dps boost as a bard. Can also pull, mez, and AoE stun. I've never played a high level chanter, but I'm guessing mezzing while boxing would be easier than on a bard. That might offset the DPS loss.
    • Shadowknight - I like the class, they're a solid group tank, they can do a good job self-healing, which would be important when in zones that don't allow mercs. They're also great pullers and do decent DPS.
    • Paladin - I find the class boring, but it wouldn't be my main, and it can supplement (or possibly surpass) beastlord healing when in zones that don't allow mercs. However, it would also be harder to pull singles. That could be a problem.
    • Shaman - I'd give up mezzes, pulling and overhaste. However, their slows and awesome pet healing should be enough to let the mage pet tank a couple of adds.
    I'm leaning towards an SK because of pulling, self-healing, and tanking raid mobs that ignore pet agro. I'm not 100% sure that's the best option though.
    Any suggestions?
  2. Metanis Bad Company

I use an SK and it works wonderfully. Strong enough to handle multiple mobs and plenty of AE aggro generation. But I leave my group pets on Taunt to help reduce the healing load on him too.
    andromeda likes this.
  3. Anihilator-Emarr Journeyman

i box many different combos, 5-6 toons. But 1 char stays the same majority of the time, and thats bard. Puller, crowd control , DPS enhancement , mana enhancement. perfect addition to your current duo
    andromeda likes this.
  4. Jaxxer Journeyman

Yeah, honestly that’s not the combo I would have recommended, but since you already jumped in the pool, I would not consider anything but Bard or Enchanter. You need CC for any current content. You basically have a tank, a slower and moderate DPS at the entry level. Great DPS once you fill in those AA’s. Beast pet tanks ok too, but I’d stick with mage pet as MT with the beast pet offtanking when needed. All that being said, pets don’t AETaunt very well, so when you bring more than two in camp, you’re in trouble. Bard is amazing for singling out mobs in a pull and chanters are considered the best pulling class by a lot of people. Either way you get decent to good CC, good ADPS, pretty good pulls and more low to moderate dps. Both are useless until they catch up to your other toons though.
    andromeda likes this.
  5. andromeda New Member

Thanks for the info! If I go with a bard, would my bst be able to tank older raid mobs that ignore pet agro?

FWIW, I agree that bst/mag isn't the optimal duo. I just like both classes. I ran a 6-box crew for a long time, so now I'm more interested in just relaxing and playing what I enjoy. If the duo just doesn't work then I'll swap out the bst for something else.
  6. Anihilator-Emarr Journeyman

my main crew is raid geared zerk, full T3(crafted) sk,bard,shaman, and TBL/ToV magician and friends tov geared necro. then ive been mixxing it up instead of zerk and sk, 2 more 115 magicians in place of them, and this week figured id level/progress tov for my bst thats on zerk main account and boxing em with bard,magician,magician,shaman,necro . 111 air pet with tov group pet focus is sick for tanking, will have constant single pulls with bard and bards can ae mezz too, kael and any tov giants only things not mezzable but easy to split
    andromeda likes this.
  7. ArtremasEQ Augur

Bst/Mag is a pretty decent Duo actually.

I'd add either a SK or a Bard. You don't need CC with decent pulling, though does help at times.
    A real tank adds a lot of capability to do hard stuff. The bard is easier to box.

With regards CC, I have a Bard in my box crew and it has AE Mez in the Melody, this helps a TON, and you can mostly ignore it to get some basic CC.
    andromeda likes this.