Fixed Internally Rog Merc and Runaway Aggro

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Eteract, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Eteract Journeyman

Rog merc (L115) 10/15 hate reduction 2/15 dmg boost. The rog merc on balanced or burn will reach runaway aggro levels to the point where even if I turn the merc passive it is another 10 seconds before I can take aggro back. Have used a mage pet with aggro swords and taunt on and the rog merc out-aggros those also. This is with RoS and ToV mobs. It happens in other content but the mobs usually die before the merc does so it wasn't as significantly hindering gameplay.

This is only an issue with the rog merc. A wizard merc can stay on burn and go oom and I never have an issue with it. Grouping with other player characters is not an issue either - I use a combination of three terrors (L111, L106, L101), protest (L112), and unending (L114) and almost never lose aggro.
    ZoomBox, lockjaws, Fredescu and 18 others like this.
  2. Leasa Bloodrose New Member

Not sure if this is a duplicate and I can't be bothered to go hunt through older posts to check. I can only confirm that my group noticed this issue on day 1 of ToV. I didn't use my stabby merc much before that so I can't say with certainty that that was when it actually started. On numerous occasions I've seen my 115 monk outdamaging the merc by a considerable amount (no silent strikes in use), but the merc still has 100% aggro on the mob until the group sk starts firing the big discs. The merc is on Balanced and has several ranks in subtle strikes and no ranks in enhanced damage. Something is wrong here.

Possibly related, I saw in another thread someone mentioned that the rogue mercs never seem to use their aggro reducing discs. It doesn't explain why they have aggro when I'm out-damaging them but it's something to start with.
  3. Superwisard New Member

I've been experiencing the same Melee DPS merc runaway over-aggro issue; consistently steals aggro from the tank merc and creates an unstable battle scenario. I submitted several in-game bug reports. Hope you fix this, love my backstabber.
  4. Transporter Lorekeeper

Rogue merc is currently putting out better dps than a live player in some instances. 130k vs 39k on a caster is a huge leap lol. Guessing the GM's don't care. Pally can Marr's Salvation and use their aggro to control it just fine though. Wizard mercs could use a bump though in their output.
    Eteract likes this.
  5. VetMonkEq New Member

Rogue merc aggro is completely broken. Like even on balanced it generates a godlike insane absurd amount of threat. It's off by like an order of magnitudes from where it should be.
    Eteract likes this.
  6. Leasa Bloodrose New Member

If you are having the same issues, please upvote the first post so the devs can better tell the severity of the bug. Thanks!
  7. Rotimus New Member

It's been happening to me too. I thought that it was just me.
  8. Simonsays Journeyman

I really think melee dps mercs need to be re-looked at and the agro that they generate. I have subtle strikes maxed out and yet it still generates so much agro that it constantly pulls agro from my BST pet that has taunt and hatred weapons, and the merc also pulls agro on real person tanks often. The Melee DPS merc is set on BALANCED, not burn, and it grabs agro in seconds.

This kind of agro cannot be intended and needs to be looked at being reduced.
  9. Drakang Augur

Thought this was discussed back in beta and related to the type weapons they gave the merc. Obviously never fixed. Maybe the answer is "you will get a caster merc and like it"
  10. Leasa Bloodrose New Member

minimind likes this.
  11. kizant Augur

The merc does way too much DPS. So, it should either keep high agro to balance that out or cut its DPS in 1/2 to try and lower agro.
    Duder likes this.
  12. Simonsays Journeyman

How does this continue to just be ignored? It is an obvious problem, and is just not getting acknowledged at all
  13. Simonsays Journeyman

How does this continue to just be ignored? It is an obvious problem, and is just not getting acknowledged at all
    Duder likes this.
  14. ozpunk New Member

DPS merc on balanced is an aggro hog even with maxed subtle strikes. Pls fix this!
    Duder likes this.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I'll poke at this, but most of it will be reducing it's DPS, especially with the reports that it's out DPS'ing group geared rogues.
    Yinla, Duder, Eaiana and 2 others like this.
  16. Wulfhere Augur

Eteract likes this.
  17. kizant Augur

You could probably cut DPS by 30% to 40% and they'd still be very good to use and better than they have been in previous expansions.
  18. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

smh they're not out dpsing group geared rogues. I sure hope you actually go parse this before just making changes.
    Eteract and lockjaws like this.
  19. kizant Augur

So what have you parsed it doing?
  20. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We made an intentional large increase in it's damage, 3.5 times what it had at 110, (previous increases were 20 to 50% not 450% ) but it looks like this went too far. Part of the issues is the numbers I manipulated are not necessarily linear.

Mercenaries do a VERY poor job at aggro management. They aren't smart enough.

The Melee merc's have a passive 70% hate reduction, and that increase in damage was too much. I'm leery to further reduce the hate, because they DO still need to generate hate as a balance thing. That said, it is a vector I'll look into if we continue to have issues.

This sort of thing is always dependent on player reports. Reports are that they are out DPS's group rogues. This came from more than one source. They are still going to do significantly more damage than 110... but not to the extreme they are now. The plain fact is, players play melee DPS better than I do. You absolutely don't want me tuning it to my numbers! So player feedback is important.
    Thunderkiks, Tarvas, lockjaws and 6 others like this.