SK Nurf

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jono Bean, Apr 18, 2020.

1. bortage spammin lifetaps

The only thing that would make me happier about this dot change is if they added a dot spreader to spear, every time you spear your dots jump to 1 or 2 additional targets and then spear would be more interesting than "this is a nuke, it casts fast and sometimes it casts so fast that it bricks your spell gems"
  2. Szilent Augur

He's the necro class lead and raid leader for his Top 5 raiding guild, recognizing that players who aren't aggressively ignorant use the very good tools their class has to make the best contribution they can - in this case, SKs using brand new dots to do amazing damage, and that only a moron would object to that.

"I don't know what raids you're doing but" they must be ones that are led by morons and include morons "if any SK dotting a raid mob is going to get yelled at".
    Sancus, Raccoo and FawnTemplar like this.
  3. bortage spammin lifetaps

the only thing that would make me happiest about this dot change is if everyone would stop talking about it so it doesn't get rebalanced right away
    Anastasis likes this.
  4. Chuuk Augur

I'm actually OK with this - my group geared SK is almost always >80% mana Lifetapping when my mage runs OOM or my rogue runs OOE.
  5. ArtremasEQ Augur

Mana >> Than length of the raid event. All it needs to be (even using Dots).
    And even then, only with the right ADPS items running, otherwise waste of debuff slots.
    Not a terrible addition for agro either.

Manage mana as a resource like anything else, but as a raid SK, unless I've died (and even then), I find I have enough if managed well, using the right clickes, the right Pots/rods. (I have mana reduction pots, nuke pots, Mana recover pots, several bites, TLeech, and of course, mage rods, etc etc).

Definitely not a nerf, neither is it a huge boost. Nice situational alternate DPS tool.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  6. ArtremasEQ Augur

I get a bit more due to raid foci, max AA and other stuff, but that is consistent with my testing.
    Szilent likes this.
  7. Angahran Augur

Was there another patch where sks got new dots ? All I saw was old dots getting blocked from stacking with previous versions and getting damage and mana increased,
  8. Zalamyr Augur

You did, literally in the post prior to this one. You've brought up your "3x damage for 5x mana" in almost every post. Forgive us if we believed you were having mana issues, because it'd be awfully strange for somebody to constantly complain about mana costs if they were never running out of mana.
    Duder and Tatanka like this.
  9. Tappin Augur

Useless before the patch, useless after the patch. I don't know any tanking SKs that are going to utilize a DPS DoT rotation – It’s just not sustainable. I guess you can use them on a mini boss and hope the other DoT classes don’t find out.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

You are just talking about raiding right Tappin? It used to be no sk used their pets because they said it was no damage. I always used my pet and geared it. It was about and still is the cheapest dott you can cast. Used to be when I pulled I dotted em up like now and by the time the mob got back to camp it was at about 90% health. for years that amount went down and down to where it was right before this change. The mobs were still at almost 100% when they got to camp. NOW they are back to 90% and my little groups kills are going much faster. Believe me the only thing that has changed is this patch. I like this change.
    Duder likes this.
  11. Angahran Augur

No, I am not having mana issues and never once said I was having mana issues.

I mentioned both the damage and the mana changes because people were saying what a massive upgrade this was and personally, doing 3x the damage for 5x the mana did not seem like such a great improvement.

But, I'm done.
    There is zero point ever posting on any thread concerning SKs anymore because no matter what there will be people who will yell and scream about how overpowered SKs are and they should get nothing.

I swear, DPG could change the color of our AA mount and people would say the change was overpowered.
    dreadlord likes this.
  12. Tappin Augur

I’ll say one last thing, and I’ll be done. There isn’t any way to keep a large dot rotation on chain pulls (my opinion) while tanking - that’s where the mana issue is. The thread is pointless, because not many SK utilize them, at least the ones I know.

Can we now ignore the white noise and focus on the main course? The debuff slots.
  13. sojero One hit wonder

Here is our best dot over 3/4 a night of raiding, we did one more event, but logs split and im lazy :)

Sojero Vs. Combined: Icebound Avatar of War on 4/22/2020 in 3482s with Blood of Ikatiar Rk. II [Damage: 103671128] [%Damage: 56.0] [%Total Damage: 8.0] [DPS: 29,688.2] [DDPS: 42,435] [Hits: 408] [Criticals: 270] [%Critical: 66.2] [Lucky: 137] [%Lucky: 50.7] [Twincasts: 37] [%Twincasts: 9.1] [Duration: 3475] [Min: 43227] [Avg: 254095] [Max: 983432]

I tried plague and blight as well to test, blight gets resisted to much and plague isn't that good dps and the spell bar lockout just hurts worse.

I looked at our best dot vs many of the other classes and that one is worth the debuff slot vs some of the other available dots.

I was in a semi dps group, a bunch of leftovers and a pally, pally and I were neck and neck the entire night, think in the end we were within 1k or something of each other at the end. I doted up most the adds to pad the parse a bit but that also reduced my melee/tap cause they werent always close to me, but wanted to test out the dots performance.

It was mana intensive, I had to use everything to keep mana, by the end of AoW think i had 10%, since I will be dropping any other dot but blood, it wont be as bad.

/GU Combined: Icebound Avatar of War in 3496s, 31,129.1m @8904216 | Sojero + pets 1,331.3m@380.8k (381.2k in 3492s)

I find the dot revamp nice, you shouldn't use them in really fast groups, and its best to use them to speed up your groups/solo, but try and keep your mana with the next person that is running out the fastest, so that you can maximize downtime.

DD's are still better when soloing, but use the blood line, it will help and not deplete you quickly. YMMV

Also, many are forgetting about all the mana preservations and dot centric AA we have, the raw numbers are far from the truth.
  14. Cicelee Augur

Mana is only important when you are out of it. If you end a raid or a lesson burn or mission or whatever with mana and you were not chain casting or casting spells wisely, then you did not utilize your mana well and left DPS on the table...
  15. Wulfhere Augur

Sounds about right. I think one of the reasons SK DoTs got this boost, at this time, is to restore DPS parity between the knights. The "necro knight" can't be seen doing much less DPS then the "cleric knight", even versus undead (sadly). Heaven forbid the slay undead knight is desirable for their DPS versus undead of all things. No edge can be left un-blunted in Norrath.
  16. ShadowMan Augur

I think they handled SK dots very well considering the circumstances as a class.

Hopefully the same strategy isn't applied to necromancers since their use of dots is entirely different.
  17. sojero One hit wonder

Keep in mind that only increased my dps for 20k over the entire night, at a large mana consumptio. (20k if you minus the lifetaps/spears I could have cast in that time) This was not a huge change for us, but a positive change none the less. I know the pally got unlucky and died a couple more times that I did, so his dps probably would have been higher.

Lets not beat around that bush, both knights in a dps group are putting out dps class numbers, we are both very very strong right now. but on the flip side, when we put in sword and board, our dps drops a good amount, so there is a good trade off. I easily drop 150-200k less dps when tanking with s/b on raids than I do with my 2h and dpsing.
  18. blogget New Member

about the only thing I've seen different with my mana that would cause any concern now is when i'm soloing, like sometimes i'll solo in the kael mission for trash mobs for collectibles or velks mission for same thing, but in a group I still have very little concern about my mana
  19. Zalamyr Augur

This is where you're losing most of us. If the increase in mana cost isn't causing you mana troubles, then that means the "5x mana" is mostly irrelevant, leaving only the "3x damage" part of the equation. Somehow in the same breath you tell us you aren't running out of mana, you're telling us increasing the damage by 3x was bad because of the increased mana cost.

I don't think this change makes them amazing by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I think many people stated as much, but they give them a situational use. Previously they were basically a beginner's trap. You only used them if you didn't know better.
    Wulfhere, Szilent and Duder like this.
  20. bortage spammin lifetaps

The old dots had one situational use - they seemed to help with melee merc aggro