Rationality of permacamping

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Xyphen Maximum Augur

That's exactly what I've been doing. I've run out of stuff to do on my mains so been gearing up alts. My favorite era to twink is the last glory years of EQ (GoD / OoW / DoD).

There are 3 major issues I've found in open raid zones (NToV + VT + elemental planes):
    • Random level 85 heroic chars / any scrub between 85-105 able to kill everything for no-reason-funzies in a couple swings. I can't stand when people intentionally kill named or epic mobs for no reason. Everything rots.
    • People running /\/\Q and leapfrog warping from zone-in to the mob. I saw someone do that last night in PoAir and again in Solro from zone-in > Fabled Jiva.
    • Lastly in general are just stupid. One dude thought you needed raid bosses for PoP hunter to evolve TBL gloves. Another thought you needed all illusion masks to do the Rogue 2.0. Others just have no idea what the mobs drop and think it'll be an upgrade for their main.
    I'm either 100% for raid zones being instanced or re-spawn time drastically reduced. Though I imagine the dev argument has always been "whatever keeps people playing longer".
    Triconix likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

I break my twinks into categories:

1. The Vox/Naggy killer twinks that I try to gear up in hopes to kill Vox/Naggy one day.
    2. PoTime/EP twinks
    3. GoD through DoDh twinks
    4. TSS/Solteris Twinks

I witnessed it in NTOV the other day. I guess the person was still at their desk though cause they randomly ported out when they noticed me standing there watching them once I caught up with their warping.
  3. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I was thinking of moving up to TSS/Solteris but was concerned about the random level spread requirement (the one that prevents you from doing Vishimtar @ lvl 70 with 115s). Are there any restrictions/flag requirements you've found?
  4. Triconix Augur

Nope. I wasn't even aware of that restriction. However, the last time I did Solteris for twink gear, I believe I was either 105 or 110. I haven't tried in probably a good 3+ years. I can actually attempt it this week and let you know.

Edit: The only pain I've had with Solteris recently (I collect the weapons I never managed to get for decoration now), is that it's WAY harder to beat event 3 on my own as my damage output is too much. Even riposte bashes/kicks puts me in the danger zone later into the event. I sometimes just spin my char around in circles with a rusty sword on just to get a couple swings on each mob while I drop extremely low level sham dots on the mobs and have some self DSes running. The event normally takes me about 90 minutes if I don't screw up.
  5. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I came here with the idea that it was bad at times, but not that bad ALL of the time. If it has gotten progressively worse, that is not good at all and seriously mars the experience quite a bit. But what makes groups or even a single player not be able to do a raid or kill a specific mob in the first place?

In Classic at least, it was common courtesy to wait your turn and it was also common courtesy to either finish up as quickly as possible or to even give unwanted stuff away. But if they are permacamping 24/7 and it is only one or two people there holding the territory, what is stopping others from doing their own thing?

A person or two can not hold down a highly contested point all by themselves or should not be able to anyway. Or are their levels so ridiculously high that by the time it takes you to deliver the killing blow on the 10th hit, this other guy already wiped it out in one or two and thus they get the spoils and not you?
  6. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Would appreciate it. I wasn't able to do Root of Ro, Vishimtar or Razorthorn because of the spread issue. My guess is anything that is not automatically unlocked by level is subject to the 30-level-max spread restriction.

I basically had to powerlevel to 85 or convert to heroic char to do it which kind of defeats the purpose.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Some of the "permacamped" status is just due to continuing demand, with the current global situation what might have once been close to being 100% obsolete no longer is too perhaps.

I am very much in favour of AoC being enabled on all servers as a Quality of Life thing.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

Thee op asked a question. I tried to put a rational thought to it. And just because -->YOU<-- have not seen something done .. does not mean it has never happened..

Perhaps you ought to take that to heat lil fella..
  9. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

10. Qbert Gallifreyan

Unfortunately this is even an issue on my server (Brekt), which has very limited population. Back when I was working on raid-kill achievements for old expansions last year and the year prior, it would sometimes take me 2-3 months to get lucky on a spawn timer.

The logic of it, as being discussed, eludes me (especially on real servers, where mercenaries obviate the need for "twinked" toons completely). I certainly understand someone going after the same raid target for many months in a row until they get the drop they want . . . but after that, man, let other people have some fun too.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

"No one needs it! But I want to kill it."

Not quoting you, but paraphrasing or summarizing a lot of posts here.

This is stuff with, at best, 2.5 day respawn timers. There are thousands of players per server. If only a few are looking for these mobs for epics, or (same as you) raid kill achievements, or simply for fun, its going to seem like some random person just has everything locked down.

It just amazes me that people that are actively killing these mobs or wants to kill them, complains about someone else killing the mobs.
    Thancra and SmellyFinger like this.
  12. JeffHanson Augur

Selling loot rights for such items gives away the respawn timer. So nobody does this for plat profit.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

And agreed that may for most give away the spawn timer. However there are some it does not.
  14. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

No they are complaining of certain people and or certain guilds permacamping them 24/7. There is a difference. If there was a legit line and you got in and you got out there would be no issue. What people are posting here is the complete opposite. Certain people are hoarding it, usually for some kind of profit or sick pleasure knowing they are trolling the fields everyone else needs to get to for quests.

My question is how are they getting away with it? If not from admin interference, then other player interference. What is stopping you from going over there to kill the same creatures anyway? What are they gong to do? Unless on a PVP server I assume nothing.
    Benito likes this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

On my server, there is someone who has been keeping their box in Lord Inquisitor Seru's room for years. Yes, years! (It's aggravating because he/she is now trying to monopolize for Fabled Lord Seru spawn when I merely want the Fabled Bow of Storms for my heroic ranger). I am not sure if they are going for Guinness World Records or, more likely, hoarding horses for their real estate. It's easy to pop into Seru with Arx Key so anyone can check but these boxes discourage people.

Edit: And, generally, on Live Servers, you want to Play Nice and not be "that guy" that DPS races. So people AFKing a box (maybe they check every 30 mins - 2 hours) kinda spooks people away - will they slander you in General or even petition?
  16. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Make TOV Sanctus Seru TV Acrylia SSRA Temple etc pvp zones on all servers and this problem will disappear very fast : )
    Thancra likes this.
  17. Heajol Augur

Eeep .. so I'm screwed for DoN content on my 101+ characters? I think my paladin has vishimtar scales in her bank .. time to check!

18. Heajol Augur

At 108 I was able to complete the Vishimtar and other quests for 5/5 Sanctity of the Keepers.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

People create alts.
    Mobs only spawn so often.
    There are also a plethora of people playing automated which is against the rules but good luck getting the people who can do anything about it to do anything about it.
  20. Xyphen Maximum Augur

No, you would be screwed if you tried to do DoN content on a lvl 1-84 character with your 101 character. Anything at/above 85 can avoid the level spread block with 115s.