Expansions.. being salty or not..

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Apr 18, 2020.

1. NeverPayForLag Augur

lol.... 3x zerker... this is a pure DPS combo. I have some toons and box the xpac. And it is challenging if you don't choose such a group with an alliance ability. At least it was for me. Sounds like the usual bragging... ;)
    Marton and Willowtree like this.
  2. Willowtree Journeyman

I don't really feel like exchanging my 20-year-old character for three new Berserkers just so I can play the game.

But nowadays it seems to be standard to pay 3rd party tools and to play an extreme DPS-combo automatically up to usability, to be able to say that the game is too easy and to spread fake news and to spoil the game for others who don't play it this way...

For a change, how about not complaining that everything is too easy, but just playing another combo that is just hovering in the limit? Then you would have your challenge!
    Celephane likes this.
  3. Maedhros High King

It is very sad that you immediately jump to the conclusion that the only way an expansion can be difficult or easy is based upon a players use of multiboxing with cheat-software.
    There is a far greater majority of players that do not use cheating software versus those that cheat.
    Maybe you're a TLP player and your reality is different, but on live servers I would suspect its like 2 or 3% of users that cheat.
    People that get a thrill out of beating content while cheating are pathetic.
  4. Thundastruk Elder

You can’t forget the Druids/ chanter that you also play tho @whulf outside of group. It’s basically a mini raid force. Yes this expac is easy as i soloed through entire group content on bard With healer merc. Group missions i needed help.... if a bard solos through progression then there’s your answer right there
    Whulfgar likes this.
  5. dizzadar Lorekeeper

There is this thing called a idiom when your knowledge reaches the level where you can understand it you can reply to my post.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Whulfbro, spill the beans, how are you getting your druid and enchanter into missions with your six box team???
  7. Thundastruk Elder

Meant doing progression outside of group missions ;)
  8. Willowtree Journeyman

Reminds me on some exploit getting more than six in the missions which have been corrected according the last couple of patch notes.
  9. Xyphen Maximum Augur

The difficulty of EverQuest these days is heavily dependent on one's ethics concerning using "those tools". Joe Schmoe alt tabbing his 3 box/merc group is playing an entirely different game than the guy with his 3 Berserker 6-box combo with 1S boxr and/or you-know-whatQuest. Unless the aforementioned guy just has an insane gear advantage.

Until/if DBG ever allows "those" 3rd party tools, people running them honestly don't deserve a seat at the table in regards to casual content tuning. You aren't even playing the same game.

Raids are a different story, and they should obviously be tuned with a different mindset than the group stuff. Which I'm assuming this thread is aiming at.

P.S. I don't know what the real forum rules are about naming other software, but this security-by-obscurity thing is dumber than the DARE program.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

I use in none instanced zones..

War druid sham sham ber ber ber bard. This is my melee set up.

War sham sham druid wiz wiz wiz chsnter. This is my ranged set up.

1 raid geared toon being the warrior. However i also have a 110 warrior no raid gear no raid quality rares.. and less then 20k aa total.

So when i run the alt war, i use not a single toon in raid any thing.

The ber / wiz share accounts. The bard / chanter share account.

This is not counting my 5 other accounts i have as traders only on bristle, povar, luclin, cazic..
  11. Whulfgar Augur

And my favorite way to play is when i get a real grp and mass pull mobs with my army there to help shred every thing. I typically do this to help out guildies or other people i like (its rare i like anyone tho..)
    Xenorius9 likes this.
  12. Chuuk Augur

Perhaps you're right that it's 3% overall - but I would think 9/10 people running more than a 3-box on Live are using some sort of "supplemental" program or at a minimum, key broadcasting.

I think the idea behind Tone's comment is that there is argument on this thread about how "easy" an expac is and you have a couple folks touting how they are breezing thru content with their 6-box.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I have a hard time believe anyone is effectively boxing BERx3 without some "assistance".
  13. Zunnoab Augur

I know people in strong guilds are often completely out of touch with most of the game, but it's really beyond a level I realized judging from some of the posts in this topic.

I can only hope the developers aren't reactionary and bow down to the vocal top with another TBL-style catastrophe. It would be great if they can challenge the strongest forces, but it absolutely must not be done by listening only to a vocal crowd and forgetting all the players other than those in the strongest forces.

I remember when they went into Seeds of Destruction, another expansion actually tuned so the bulk of raiders could actually do it, and essentially said "too bad" (pretty much directly) to the stronger players who complained they would beat it too easily. Then they went overboard and released one of the absolutely worst over-tuned expansions in the game's history, Underfoot.

I really, really hope they aren't reactionary yet again listening only to extremely vocal players. There are some from more average-strength guilds posting in this topic, and I hope the developers don't let the incessant "it's too easy" posts drown out their voices, or stomp on their fingers as they try to progress through the expansion's raids by continually moving the goal posts on them, a habit that is way too common.

Why is it a bad thing if most raiders are able to actually experience the content? I will defend ToV and say if they want to please the people who want challenge, they should not do so by effectively removing large swaths of the raid player base from the game. There are a lot of people who want to app to stronger guilds that simply do not make the cut. There are some people who have raided for 15+ years that simply do not have the skill/contribution to a raid that is required for stuff like TBL. In the past, they could be referred to mid tier guilds, or low tier guilds who could benefit from someone actually being in the raid at all. With design like TBL, there is nothing for raiders like that. Directly because of TBL, I don't have anywhere off hand on our server to point such players. (I would be thrilled to learn of more than I'm aware of doing current content.)

I'm not sure why some seem to pretend that part of the raider base never existed, or think the developers should completely ignore huge swaths of the players.

It's impossible to understand how events feel with a weaker, or even "normal" force when you're in a stronger one. I usually had a mid tier perspective on things, but now I need to remember what that's like to chime in on tuning.

I don't know if developers read the pages upon pages of posts like this, but if any of you do, please remember that the top guilds aren't the only ones in this game, and the vocal players do not speak for everyone. I know it's impossible to please everyone and decisions must be made for the good of the game as a whole, and I can only hope there is some sort of middle ground.
  14. Maedhros High King

You're 100% right about the 3x berserkers. You could alt tab and auto-attack np, but to get much out of a berserker requires a lot of attention. My primary alt is a berserker and I like to think I am pretty good at it. You have abilities refreshing at staggered rates every few seconds that you have to keep pushed on cooldown to apply anything close to max dps.
    Now, 3x berserkers on auto-attack would still be at least halfway decent dps if all you did was cycle through their Dissident/Dichotomic every 1 minute I'd imagine. Much better than a merc anyways.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  15. matouoli Elder

i always scratch my head when someone saying an expansion is too easy when they rely on is_box_er to box , * and sometime even more than a group .......................

some who are good with that 3rd party software are sometime even better than a real group, since all are attacking / healing at same time.

and yes this expansion is kinda easy .

do i want DB to not allowing that 3rd party software. ? nope , that would result of a big $$ loss for DB imo. since many so rely on that * easy * mode .

that would result on fewer accounts from players since it is more difficult and not as efficiency to ** alt ~tabbing **
  16. Whulfgar Augur

So.. guessing you never been in beta ?
  17. Whulfgar Augur

This is absolutely true. I never said I was able to max play 3 zerker's for max dps. I can however use a mash key for each individual berserker stack all their cycled attacks to one key. Then simply mash that key soon as I tab over from one to the other to the other ..

Its not rocket science.
    Maedhros likes this.
  18. Whulfgar Augur

Ax of Rekotaki , Frenzy , Brutal Volley , Mangling Axe Throw are the zerker abilities that refresh in less then 30 seconds .. an couple that do it in less then 15 seconds.

Outside of that timing an learning which abilities are up in that timing sequence along with muscle memory .. plays a large role in boxing 3 zerker's.

I neither condone nor condemn those who use 3rd party software to play toons like they do. I however am not smart enough computer wise, to install.. set up.. and run .. any of those type's of programs. I know how I do. I do not need to prove how I run my boxes to a single person on the forums. As the dev's if they feel the need to can easily check / verify if I am running any of those things and I invite them to. Because I know I dont.
  19. enclee Augur

This is true for Everquest group content. The mechanics aren't complex. It's not as if these mobs have some sort of dynamic AI, and act unpredictably like a mercenary.

ToV is tuned properly for the bulk of the EQ population, but lacks a satisfying reward at the end of progression.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  20. Zunnoab Augur

Actually I was this time. I have to say, the second ToFS event ended up exactly as described, with the individual mobs being trivial as long as they are kept apart from people with the wrong assignment. I'm worried they will break that one too. It was actually specifically cited non-tanks are meant to be able to take hits from the wedding guests. It's a beautifully designed event, in my opinion. I can tell the Velk's mechanics work very well too, even if we only tested that one with a developer once quite late at night. It was fun seeing dozens of wolves spawn for The Great Divide raid. I personally specifically kept feedback to mechanics and avoided getting pulled into discussion about tuning.

I'm not claiming ToV is perfect, but I appreciate the way it's designed. I don't want to see tuning zig zag into another Sathir's Tomb/TBL mess.
    Yinla likes this.