Rationality of permacamping

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Is there a rational reason for people to set boxes to track Lord Inquisitor Seru and Vex Thal for years on end (Live Servers)?

Are people hoarding horses for their mount keyring or real estate at the cost of Slayer or Raid achievement for others? Do people really need Bone Earring of Evasion or Akhevan Shadow Shears for a level 20 alt they will never play?

Unless someone can enlighten me, it seems like permacamping (for some) borders on irrational behavior: hoarding and a sense of power.
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Collector Edition mounts seem to provide 'Very Fast' flagged mounts as of late. Ghostrider is negligible in terms of effort. I can see rational demand for Bone Earring of Evasion (IVU click) due to ToV. However, often, it seems to go beyond fulfilling their needs.
  3. Duder Augur

I dunno, I imagine its happenstance, market control for droppables, etc. I doubt any one person is intentionally blocking the content for others for the sole reason of blocking others. But I'm on board with yah. #Agentsofchange
    Hellowhatsyourname and Funky like this.
  4. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I remember back in the old days, certain areas were camped pretty hard. For people like me not in a guild or that well known in groups, it took a while to be able to gain entrance. So I had to do completely random things until there was an opening. Then I felt bad because then I was holding other people up who were now waiting their turn, some times desperately, more so than I was. I know other games use shards or some kind of way to have it possible to play the same zone or raid, even if others are doing the same. Of course that kind of play is not Classical.

All in all you did keep calm and carried on and you did get your chance and your loot and moved on. Only downside is for a lot of us with real lives, which was most people I gather, we did not always have hours on end to play. But it did give us a chance to explore places we may not of otherwise bothered with and also got to chat and forge relationships with many great people while we waited. And see all the train wrecks first hand rushing back to the guards with people screaming TRAIN! TRAIN!! TRAIN!!! As I used to recall we had that hot keyed to what ever place we were generally going to run back to and gods help you if you had camped on the way to it! o_O So many people discarded like lifeless dolls across the landscape. ^^!

But I would not put it past certain people, who could be of entire guilds who would farm certain things 24/7 and not let others get a chance. Or maybe let you in briefly if there was a quick down time or a man short or asked for a "toll" so to speak. I don't recall it being that bad in Classic, at least not at my levels, but it was a different time and a different player base back then. Where people actually roleplayed and not just power leveled. I am not saying people still don't role play and not everything is about leveling, but... *sighs* I also could be merging different MMO's in thought so take it with a grain of salt. Plus I'm old... ^^!
  5. Buster_Shruggs Augur

It used to be way worse! The horses off Seru and the Key droppers(Praesertums?) were sellable to buy back horse vendor, 50k for the silken and 100k,iirc, for Seru and SSRA. That was nerfed when the 1st TLPs started. As for VT, there are Illusion clickies in there, Human, Fire Elemental, and Skelly, IVU, several DS clickies, one of the best debuff clickies in the game and some other trivial clickies. Its still an effort to drag a rogue/bard to open doors for you, so for VT I think the mentality is that you went for one thing, you might as well clear all the bosses. I think the server Im on is really great in that aspect, usually everything is up. You rarely run into the issue of permacampers. Most times if you find someone waiting for one of those mobs to pop theres a genial exchange of "would you mind if I took this spawn?" Lol, I really wish they weren't merging servers! I thought they were going to introduce AOC to live servers? That would resolve your issue, no? Im not familiar with how AOC is supposed to work.
  6. Sadbuttrue New Member

There is always a rogue in VT and akheva ruin in AB server. Not sure about seru or Sara but I suspect it’ll be more or less the same case. It appeared to me that whoever behind it just decided to level it for solely being there 24/7
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

It's too easy to make a new toon and just park them on low level content, and then combine that with the fact that items are not guaranteed so on a multi day spawn you're looking at weeks easily just to get an item for yourself. Now how many other players want that stuff?

This is why AOCs are so popular.

On FV I literally could not do a Velious turn in quest because the mob was perma camped for 3-4 weeks before I quit the quest and shortly after the server.
    Hellowhatsyourname and jiri_ like this.
  8. Windance Augur

I have heard of people blocking content for the purpose of gaining an advantage. More so on the TLP than on live servers, but I can totally see it happening either place.
  9. Duder Augur

Ohh yeah that happens... in era for sure. But no one is perma camping seru on live to destroy horses so others cant get em ;)
    NeverPayForLag and Neodraykl like this.
  10. Thraine Augur

theres a guy on Povar who keeps all the old world, velious, luclin type raid mobs on perma farm. you cant get those kills unless your fast and lucky on the server restart ... he has his wizard bound in stategic places so no one else can get those kills and he keeps notes on when they will respawn and all that ... seriously irrational behavior at its worst
  11. Neodraykl Elder

I think you underestimate the salty.
    Miss_Jackie, SmellyFinger and Duder like this.
  12. Genoane Journeyman

Yep. I finally had to give up on Fire Elemental illusion. :(
    Justyse likes this.
  13. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I've been able to catch a lot of them up, but this is over months of trying lol. Seru is one that I still need a bunch of stuff off of for my new lvl 1 but he's one of the hardest to catch.
  14. Monkman Augur

Add required level 60 to yttrium gear off Seru, should have happened years ago.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

I know a lot of people (raiders mainly) will sometimes go back and wipe out old raid zones for the drops because they're high value tribute items. Velious, I think it is, has a lot of stuff with high tribute value.

But they rarely permacamp things.
  16. Triconix Augur

All raid zones should be instanced on live servers at this point.

It's funny that this thread has been created because I decided to try again at creating an "old school" twink monk due not having much to do. I tried this many years ago and found it was impossible due to people perma-camping everything. So far I've found it's still the same nearly a decade later. However, I have been getting luckily with the Fabled NTOV/VT spawns and their timers are now on my watch, but these things are normally perma camped, and I definitely don't have the time to keep the camps held due to my work schedule. Just yesterday I caught someone killing Fabled AoW/Tormax just because he felt like it and left everything to rot. Luckily I ran my monk over in time for some of the no-drop no level req items.

I'm not even sure how people can keep things things on lockdown for such long periods of time. Do people have jobs, family, friends, etc? I'm all for instancing ToV (at least NToV), VT, Kael, etc. I'm aware the static zones are still a necessity so maybe continue having the raids mobs spawn in static zone and offer an instance or have them stop spawning in static zone all together and have raid instances specifically for the raid mobs. For those that want to kill them and not have to deal with sitting in a camp for 3 days +/- 12 hours or waiting for server reboots, these old world raids are nearly impossible to kill.
    Xyphen likes this.
  17. Angahran Augur

I think some of the reason is simply to be an A**.

If they permacamp something the basically prevent anyone else from getting it.
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Zinth Augur

and that right there is why all live servers should have AoC's too
    jeskola and Hellowhatsyourname like this.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

Rationality of permacamping stuff like the op stated is simple logic.

You thus create the demand .. by hoarding said item..

If you are thee only one who has access to said camp (aka you have the timer) You now have 100% of all of the supply.. of the demand you created.

Thus you set a price for said item. And nobody can change it.
  20. Triconix Augur

I thought AoC's were developed more for "Epic" items that are necessity for quests, no? I'm not sure how it would function with older raid mobs that people want to kill just for fun, achievements, twinks, etc. Would a version of the mob spawn and loot tables be available? Creating raid instances of the zone would solve the problem. It's probably a decent amount of work and I'm not sure any dev is willing to take it on with the constant requirement of developing new content.

You create a demand for a no trade item that outside of "fun" reasons to acquire them, are essentially worthless in modern EQ? Seems implausible. You'd need to find this demand, get the people to the zone, have the people loot the item all in less than 30 minutes. I don't think I've once seen anyone offering sales on old raid item loot-rights. Where is this imaginary demand?