New EverQuest in the works can we submit ideas?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dazzler Twodirks, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ3 if it is being worked on at all is likely still in pre-planning, the investment needed would likely be hefty & the team to build it would need to be a fairly decent sized team too, so until we start seeing a bunch of adverts for new positions at Daybreak/Darkpaw I wouldn't put much stock in seeing a new title in the next five to ten years.

An EQ3 is very possible eventually, though I think it will be a lot more down to earth in ambition, so more of an evolution of the MMORPG than the revolution EQNext was aiming to be.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There is not now, nor will there be a new EverQuest MMORPG in development from Darkpaw Studios while flying the Daybreak Games flag.
  3. Angahran Augur

Almost nobody who actually plays EQ want's to give up years or decades of friendships they have made simply for pretty graphics.

If you want t new game go play one and quit trying to kill this one.
  4. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Lol.. this is the problem with you people.. always stuck in the past.

Move on and look forward to a better updated game we can all enjoy instead of playing the same thing over and over that's been washed out so many times. I cannot last more than 1 month on this game, I quit for 4-5 years come back.. same thing happens.

Game is done.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or play on somethi
    Thank you for your opinion. We have all been waiting for your diagnosis. Perhaps play on something other than a TLP server? Apologies if you already do, but since the majority of your posts are in the TLP section it would lead one to think that you do play on a TLP server.
  6. Angahran Augur

Here's an idea... DON'T!

Instead of wasting money, that is coming from current EQ players, on some pointless 'new game' that will almost certainly flop, reinvest it into EQ.

Retire the poor exhausted mice that are running the servers and upgrade to ferrets or weasels!
  7. Vicus Augur

I think there needs to be a legit poll sent out to get a guesstimate of what the people want. For every person that says they want an EQ3 there is a person who says they rather have a remastered EQ, and then even then there is a lot of people that don't want anything to change, they just want their yearly expansion.

It cost money to make a new game but people say it will be a waste and fail.

It cost money to support this game but people push back saying the cost wouldn't be worth the investment.

I think inaction is going to be the ultimate downfall of this game. When it closes down there will still be plenty of people that want to play it but no longer profitable because they didn't take any type of risk at all to earn new profit.
  8. Buri Augur

Only problem with that plan is that EQ isn't going to last forever. I've been wanting a contingency plan for years, and at this time it looks like Pantheon.
    svann and Skuz like this.
  9. Zinth Augur

as a TLP nerd then I would say learn from EQ... remake it... Trilogy launched first, new graphics, models, quests (and rewards for such) keep the lore "the same'ish" not ahead in time like EQ2 and don't make the EQ2 mistakes and put them into a new EQ1...

keep faithful to the old zones ( Nektulos 2.0 is a strick no go, 3.0 is more in line with the original) new freeport is a no go, make a "new" version of the old freeport (layout, buildings etc.) new commonlands is nice but needs to be split up in 2 as it used to be, same with oasis needs to be it's own zone and it should have been more in line with the original for camps/layout (removing a landmark like orc highway with that modern highway yeah no go that is)

use AoC's (something else, so not the same mob standing outside each dungeon) for raid instances

make sure skills/tradeskills matter, stats should matter and each new expansion should not mudflate gear/stats like it does now in EQ with mobs hitting for 15.000-60.000 a pop... the good old days was nice and had it gone up gradually and not exponentially each expansion it would have been better

try to avoid the 200 different AA buttons to click during combat (it's fine to just get an upgrade to it or what not)

try to avoid "invis walls" and lame effects (was no better solution back then) like summon on every mob, give us back gravity flux effects (embrace that players might use it for "funky" stuff, let people be creative in the world, don't make so many zones where levitation doesn't work, just because the floor is slippery (yes Velks looking at you...) playing smart you would use levitate and yes it would make it "easier" with some of the traps... but thats the part of having the skills right? all outdoor zones "outdoor looking aka there is sky" should allow mounts (looking at you MPG)

but in general rewrite the engine, release trilogy first (yes it would take years to make) heck I could live with just Classic, then Kunark, then Velious if it would "save time and get it to us soon" and I would gladly "pay" for the game + expansions while keeping it on same pay as normal EQ/EQ2 etc. where you can play all if you pay for one. Then move on through the expansions using the "modern" tools like raid window/raid instances (instead of having multiple versions like PoTimeB and the ones used later on... and keep the amount of "alternate currencies" to a minimum and use ONE system for it, not points in ldon, crystals in don and so on which were located several places in the UI (and still are to this day)

make a better "spell research system", the old one sucked too but you actually had to go and explore various places and some spells were harder to get than others, now that you just buy everything at "vendor" from day one is kinda meh...

it's okay to go back to the "spell levels" like every 4-5 levels depending on class and it is okay to have to go trainer to "train new skills" like the old days, spreading it out over every level now is just so meh

make armor/items more "individual" and not just cookie cutter, yes old days had flaws in itemization (stats on class specific gear that the class didn't even need) but there were also "negative stats" and you had to decide what stats you wanted to try and max out, not like now that everything you get has everything on it... I think GoD/OoW were the last where you could aim for like high Hagi or other stats if that was what you wanted, after that it was just a splatter of everything on every piece and the "always foci on same slot" made it "easy" so you didn't have to pick if you wanted the new item to get new focus but lose another focus you also liked and we also get every foci all the time... there is no "lack" or no "bonus" of a rare focus like extended dot duration used to be, highly sought after and it was amazing to get it... now they are just there and they are all pretty "meh" because they are taken for granted

and it's okay the game is rough and brutal (just make it PRETTY and fun) and stop nerfing everything... ahem elder beads... moss covered twig... mana stone (yes yes it was pretty OP) just make it RARE... stop "removing" stuff from the game because "someone does something" to a boss (hello there sleeper) let everyone experience the game, even if they come at a later date or not as fast as the others

then last but not least make "few" but large servers...

PVP servers - make pvp work, there is a few that wants em...
    PVE servers - standard EQ servers
    PVE Freetrade - FV
    PVP Freetrade - FV PVP

make stuff like languages matter (yes it can be "annoying" but make some quests that doesn't take ages, to learn languages and also pickup language skill when listening to npc's/players/whatever talking out and about in the game without actively "spamming" a language yourself like standard EQ, so everyone speak their races language, maybe some have one good one (elvish) where they might also know a little (elder elvish) but not maxed out

make racial benefits/downsides again... larger races in RP games usually level slower, hybrid classes usually level slower because they are "two classes" it's fine trolls have better regen but maybe their fire resist is very low (base before gear) we all know trolls hate fire, maybe frogs swim faster (like Iksar did) but Vah Shir's swim slower because they hate the water (so skill caps lower) so yeah "make skills matter" and let race/class influence it instead of everything and everyone being the same ;-)

someone else mentioned "lootable cards of monsters in game, change that a little and make it your own book of lore... kill 1 monster once, and it gets added, kill it 10 times and you learn a little more about it (like this and this monster is resistant to fire or vulnerable to cold) kill it 100 times and you get a bonus to damage against it, kill it 1000 times and you get "gnoll slayer" or whatever title (you get the point) as you see/kill all the monsters your "book of lore" slowly gets filled out and you can maybe after 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 pick a certain "benefit" against said monster (be creative here) to help you kill it better, to skin it better or what not (yes skinning should be a skill in game and mobs should not just drop a pile of fur in your hands when you kill them unless you kill a humanoid fur trader or whatever) also like normal EQ everyone should be able to do every tradeskill don't limit it like WoW and I think EQ2 limits it too (don't recall okay) unless they are class skills (poison making/alchemy) research should me limited to pure casters (also for priest spells) let the tradeskills shine again (make 1 maxable and the others 100 skill lower or so like original EQ before all the AAs)
  10. Rebelicious Augur

Just remake the same EXACT game and all it's expacs... no WOW clone EQNext fumble... only make it with an improved graphics engine... something like Pantheon is doing.... only original... ORIGINAL... unchanged.... EVERQUEST.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Why would DBG fork over $400 million to make the same game? That's lunacy!:eek:

They would be better off reworking the original EQ game engine (they have been, slowly) and finding modern ways to do old tasks, finding optimizations, creating efficiency -- Oh, they're already doing that, too.

What you want is TLP. Guess what, it's already here.
  12. Zinth Augur

why? because much of the code has been lost in the spaghetti, noone around knows how it works, they claim to have lost the code for old freeport etc. etc. and new bugs keep popping up in old code when you do new stuff with it, the engine is ancient and could be written way better these days on top of graphics/zoneredo's and so on would work so much better, heck write it in DX12/Vulkan, prep it for raytracing or whatever

there is still money to be made + a "new" game with everyone starting from scratch would interest both oldtimers but most likely also new players that are not "interested" in the old clunky engine/graphics/crashes
  13. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

There is nothing else that is EQ. I have tried dozens upon dozens of games, both graphical and text based (MUDs), from free to monthly subscriptions. (Even if I bought the game and used that one month free only that came with the game.) Unless something else came out recently and did not "pop" on my radar, there is nothing else like EQ. I know because I have searched high and low for it. Even with all the blasted changes to the game over the years, it is still the closest thing to (Classic) EQ. Only thing that would fill that niche would be P99 and quite frankly it is hard as balls to find a legit copy or otherwise of Titanium. Why the hell they did not use the Trilogy disks to make it work I have no idea.
  14. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

What about making Everquest Online Adventures that was on the PS2 for the PC? I am not sure how big it was in terms of player sizes or how different it was from what we know as EQ now, although supposedly set 500 years prior to the PC version of EQ, plus had an extra class. The game would be basically already there, not sure of the trouble to transferring it from one architecture to another though. It lasted nine years on the PS2, that has to account for something.
  15. Brilhasti Elder

16. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

If there is an Everquest game being worked on at the moment, it's most likely a previous Everquest spin off game that was shut down. That's my guess.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well if there is any truth to the rumours that have come out there have been several in-house pre-builds to try new games in the EQ franchise, NEXT was just a big bag of technical hurdles they found they couldn't overcome & that isn't surprising when you understand just how far ahead of the curve that title would have been.

Aside from EQN there were rumoured to be a standalone EQ RPG, a battle-royale styled lobby combat game.

A remake of EQ could realistically only be a starting point and it would need to offer an experience modern enough to capture interest from a much younger market than us current EQ veterans.

That said a new EQ could well feature places & world characters that are familiar to every EQ & EQII player, it would ideally remain a "world" in the EQ universe & almost certainly would have to be considered alongside the other games as yet another "alternate universe" to the already released games though it doesn't need to depart all that wildly from EQ in terms of timeline or locales it would still need to expand upon the game structure far beyond a mere graphical overhaul.

A modern code base for a future EQ could however provide scope for far more class/race combinations than the current code allows even while retaining old favourites.

I've had a few ideas on how I would build an EQ3 myself while bored, I am not going to post that here though, this post is already big enough.
  18. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Booyah!

19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The MMO market is saturated right now. Introducing a new game is not wise.

Sure, there are bugs. Sure, the engine is old. Sure, some of the spaghetti code is likely unravel-able. But they are KNOWN quantities. Newer is not always better. In fact, it hardly ever is. Unforeseeable problems, unknown sales in a saturated market, talent acquisition, infrastructure, and capital are all roadblocks to any new game. Everquest has rich lore. So do a lot of other games. The ONE ace up Darkpaw's sleeve is that EQ was first to market.

If another Everquest was going to happen, it would have already. In fact, millions of dollars and thousands of hours were spent on two attempts at a new EverQuest game. Both failed.

Let it go and enjoy what you have.
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Xyphen Maximum Augur

That exists. It's called Project 1999, it's free and has its blessing from DBG not to be sued. Though your logic of "improved" and "only original... ORIGINAL... unchanged" are insanely contradictory.

There are plenty of other games out there for plenty of other purposes. I play Prepar3D when I want to pretend I'm an airline pilot, Borderlands 3 when I want to be on the forefront of graphics + ultra-liberal social agendas, and EQ when I want the challenge of 6 boxing pseudo-nostalgia.

I don't expect to fly my 747 from Qeynos to Plane of Knowledge while sniping robots, though.