Expansions.. being salty or not..

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Whulfgar Augur

First off let me ask..

Why last yr.. was everyone truly happy when some 1 beat Maeratas.. legit style..this year everyone all salty about (rightfully so) server instability as well as their placement (some) against that of other guilds ?

Ive stated numerous times since this expansions launch this content was waaaaaay weaker then previous expansion before it. (TBL) To the point that this expansion provided zero difficulty in any way shape or form what so ever in grp content.

Could all the salt be in fact related to how easy this expansion was? Lets face it.. T3 with out a doubt should have been way harder then it was.

Whats yalls opinions? (With out instigating others or salt pls)
    Maedhros and Duder like this.
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Is there a person that plays.. in any guild that regularly beats content before next expansion.. that truly thinks TOV raids are hard ?
  3. bbanz Elder

T3 should have been much harder. From a healing PoV, T3 E1 & E2 was a snooze fest. E3 was a little interesting but could and should have been so much more. There was some real potential to make it Maeratas-difficulty or close to it.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  4. Tappin Augur

DP made some design changes - those design changes would have been fatal if the group content was as hard as TBL.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  5. MrDudeGuy New Member

I mean, some former top 5 and top 10 guilds spent hours wiping to T3. Evidently, it wasn't easy for everyone. At least it seems like they earned their participation trophies.
  6. enclee Augur

I don’t care about the difficulty different guilds are going to have issues with different things. It is a positive that guilds are completing this expansion.

As an enchanter though, I hate this expansion. There’s nothing to do. I’m better off re-rolling to another class.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  7. Remien Master

Personally I'm disappointed with the difficulty of T3. I was hopeful with the recent tunings of T2 that they were tuning T3 up behind closed doors.
    Sancus and Whulfgar like this.
  8. Cicelee Augur

According to EGL, the 12th guild that completed Velk's raid did so around 55 hours after the first guild won.

According to EGL, the 12th guild that completed Mearatas did so over 9 months after the first guild won.

I mean if that is not polar opposites of difficulty for an expansion's final event, then I don't know what is.

I can only hope that the next expansion that number can be somewhere more in the middle...
    Sancus, Maedhros and Skuz like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is also not counting in the many hours and wipes that all the guilds racked up during beta this year allowing them to enter the raids with the practice and knowledge to win them easily. If everyone was going into these raids blinds or with a lot less knowledge they likely would have stood up a little better.
    Ibudin and Sirene_Fippy like this.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

I'm willing to bet even guilds who have not seen these events before can beat them with as little as 1 or very remotely .. two wipes..

They are that easy.
  11. Vicus Augur

It's the difference of being proactive and reactive. The dev team has been reactive for a long time now. They don't do something unless the forums blow up. No real testing, no communication, no discussions until it's to late. Having to do things multiple times for a small dev team is not helpful, especially in a game 21 years old where raid difficulty should be something you have mastered.

Introduce new content, yes deserve some slack because it's new and your learning.

Raid difficulty does not fall into the above category.

As a disclaimer, I actually feel the devs are trying but over this past year I think their ability to hide how overburden they are is coming to the limelight. The downsizing and changes that Daybreak games has made with zero concerns for their product and customers has become impossible to hide.

Holly leaves and you take one of your best players (Jchan) and make them an assistant coach. Hopefully people realize that while shes in charge, she walked into a mess.
  12. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

Hard, no. I think the fatal flaw in ToV raid design is that you can burn through a lot of the mechanics.
    if you follow all the mechanics all the way through, the raids are actually fairly complex in design; even if they are easy individually. For reference, the mearatas mechanics were easy individually, that's why everyone made it to the last phase w/o too much issue. But 1 failure in mearatas on most of the mechanics? especially while everyone was learning? wipe it up.

In tov you can heal through AOEs that you should be avoiding, you can DPS through add phases that you should be splitting off to handle, you can straight ignore mechanics and just aoe the penalty adds down, etc so on and so forth... basically nothing is a "you failed this mechanic? here's your wipe.. or at least a very difficult recovery" an the icing is that you don't even have to be a strong raid force to do that... in several cases it's the easier way to do it for a weak raid force.

so TL;DR: the lack of significant penalty for failing mechanics in ToV is the only real issue with the raids in my opinion.
    Maedhros and Scornfire like this.
  13. enclee Augur

Now that the expansion is finished, it was incredibly dissatisfying. The entire expansion was a rehash, and didn’t feel complete (LOL Ry’Gorr Mines). The raids were just the group missions that we have been repeating. Waiting 4 months for the last tier of raids to just be the final 2 group missions makes me feel scammed.

Where does this development team spend its time? It’s not spells, because those are just copy-paste. It’s not itemization, because that’s just a formula. It’s not AAs. Is it the 3 mercenary tasks per zone that’s eating up all the time? TBL feels like an epic journey compared to ToV.

All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this expansion. It’s a nice catch up, but when you catchup it just leaves you wondering why did you bother.
  14. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Something to think about is 30 guilds have atleast completed one t3 current raid, Also 30 guilds have completed atleast one EOK t3 raid, yet only 25 have completed one TBL T3 raid.

TOV was easy if you want it to be. You can also make it hard on yourself on accident, we did.
    Funky, Vumad and Remien like this.
  15. Enja New Member

This expansion is to allow the mid-level guilds a chance to get some wins. For those of you that were saying this is easy, just wait for the next expansion. It has been the trend for the expansions, easy one year, hard the next. If it is all hard expansions, the mid-level guilds would be all gone by now, and there would be not many people left playing this game.
    eepok, roganemor, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  16. matouoli Elder

tier one being * easier * is ok for me, final raid could be a real challenge ( like is *was* mearatas ) .
    so best guilds could have something challenging for them to complete an expansion. and could drop the difficulty if needed after 7 or 8 months,
  17. Whulfgar Augur

They been saying this for at LEAST 16 years in a row now ..

I think you have (an all that claim this.. year after year after year) have definitively been proven wrong 100%..
  18. Willowtree Journeyman

nope, not your opinion, not the slightest while you say that group content is easy.
    Here is a grouper without any ultrarare or raid items.
    And I have done all progression but I am still stuck on the earring.
    This expansion is difficult enough from the mission side.
    I know, it is - like always - easy for raiders (the same discussion like every year... yada yada), but with nearly full AA and all tricks this is still a challenge.

It might be true for the raids - no clue - I am no raider. I only wanted to complete the progression. I have done it once with much effort and now I am struggling with some of my alts who are not maxed out with AA and get killed too fast.

But I can say that some parts are artificially made a timesink without any real gameplay which is a bit boring. Killing countless mobs to see the AA bar rise in slow motion or an evolvement item go to the next part and being forced to max all necessary tradeskills are a timesink and not easily or fast done. But if you are a botter then its surely easier to do. ToV is a botter expansion. Boring repeatable stuff and the proof are the botters all around.

so the problem is in the group content not a difficulty setting, a problem is that it is simply ... a small amount of stuff...

Replacing game content with timesinks or cover it up with difficulty was never a good solution and always obvious... that is the real problem....

But I am happy that this expansion is playable. TBL entry mission to get into the deeper zone where simply crap. I don't need such "cover-non-content-missions". I want to play not to spend the main time rezzing. And I don't want to sit in an micromanagement automation which does not give you real advantages like the overseer. I want to have a game with content which is really playable. And ToV reminds me in that on EoK - playable!
  19. Whulfgar Augur

Did everything in ToV on my 110 Warrior all grp missions, all partisans all mercenary .. 100% no raid gear no world wide rares .. sitting at 25k AA if that last I checked ..

I again say ToV grp content was incredibly easy.
  20. Triconix Augur

Reactive in terms of what? Making things easier so more of the community can experience it?