Why did you create Overseer with zero player input?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Metanis Bad Company

This board is full of ideas and suggestions by players. Granted, 99% of them are probably unworkable. Even then, it displays an enthusiasm for the game that could be tapped if properly directed by a savvy marketing and development team into realistic requests.

I don't understand how a team could invest that many man-hours into a product that nobody asked for in an environment where so many other options were available and desired.

Personally I don't give a rip about Overseer because I did the content and don't need to play catch-up. It's just that so many other things could have been funded and you never asked your customer's to help you decide where to invest.

I just shake my head at the arrogance thus displayed.
    Daedly and lockjaws like this.
  2. enclee Augur

It’s honestly pretty embarrassing that a professional development studio with close to 25 years of experience can’t even do a mobile game knockoff. These games aren’t anything special, it’s a timed dice roll. I wouldn’t be so critical of this iteration of Overseer, if they weren’t taking money. If, it was 3 month release to public and fix, then go live officially I’d be willing to be more constructive.
  3. code-zero Augur

I'm personally enjoying it
    eepok, Yinla and Metanis like this.
  4. dreadlord Augur

What surprises me is the lack of howls of protest that we can all now pay to level our toons.
    Throw enough RL cash at overseer and you too can have a lvl 115 toon with a maxed merc & a load of AAs (via collects) in a day or so
    Weren't we promised this would never happen?
    (yes, I know that was in the olden days/different company etc)
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Who cares?

If someone wants to spend hundreds of dollars to do this, then it benefits us all, because EQ gets the cash. And it doesn't hurt you at all, you can still play and group as you wish. And there's now another high level char to group with.

Hence the lack of howls
    eepok, Andarriel and enclee like this.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

Very good observation. Overseer provides the required level of obfuscation for their pay-to-play scheme! I never thought of that angle.
    Andarriel likes this.
  7. dreadlord Augur

Lots of folk care - or used to; for the same reason that referring to a player as 'ebay' was not a compliment
    If I group with someone who purports to be lvl 115/40kAA, I expect them to have a modicum of skill - over and above standing in pok clicking some buttons
    Money shouldn't be able to buy you a player slot at the Wimbledon final; the Open or EQ - just MHO which is possibly hopelessly outdated
  8. enclee Augur

You’re creating a false narrative, Overseer doesn’t award AA experience. The hypothetical “scrub” purchased Krono in exchange for power leveling. This is how life works, money creates solutions. You’ll never remove that from the game, because people are trading money for time.

As far as you’re “bogeyman” is concerned, eventually that person earns a reputation and the community solves that terrible problem of being exposed to someone who isn’t good at the game.
    Tarvas likes this.
  9. dreadlord Augur

Erm, no, I was very clear - it creates collections. Collections create AA; so, yes, overseer gives AA. I'll accept your apology for accusing me of being a liar after you didn't bother to read what someone actually wrote before getting nasty
    Yes people always paid for powerlevelling and bought/sold accounts on ebay and elsewhere - it was very much against the EULA and many many folk got banned/had their expensive toys taken away.
    That doesn't mean something which was fought against for so long should just change with barely a whisper
  10. enclee Augur

No one is getting to 40k AA from Collection achievements.
  11. dreadlord Augur

Have you added up all the collection achievements? I'm not bored enough to do that - assuming all are taken at lvl 115 @15 AA a shot, plus the bonuses, together with the AAs that come with an heroic character and the auto-grant? we can't be far off
  12. enclee Augur

No, they don’t all have 15 AA rewards. Assuming, your “boogeyman” is a hybrid class with a full set of collection achievements they would barely break 20k AA. You still haven’t built a case, why anyone cares that a bad player exists? It’s completely optional to ever interact with them.
  13. dreadlord Augur

I don't think I have to build a case. The case is there and has existed since I was a baby toon in 2000.
    It's the same case a, for eg, footballer might make against someone paying $10k to play alongside them in the superbowl or compete in the masters

If we want to sell EQ toons then do that - and be honest about it - Maxed AA 115 SK for for $500; add epic for $100; heroic stats $100 for 10; add full last expansion raid gear for $400 etc etc.
    The number of AA for a collection is 15 - it depends on level afaik. The last collection I completed was from RoF and I got 15 AA for that, anyway. Autogrant took my heroic enc to, approx 17,500 so your 20k guesstimate is well off
  14. enclee Augur

Do the math and come back, until then you’re creating fictional scenarios around something doesn’t matter.
  15. dreadlord Augur

You want to disagree for disagreeing sake yet can't be bothered to marshal a modicum of factual basis for your assertions.
    There is nothing fictional about the *fact* that you can now pay to get a lvl 115 toon with a large number of AA without ever leaving PoK
    You may like that *fact*. I don't. The End.
  16. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

There are many 115, 40k AA players that have literal years of game time on their /played and still don't have a clue. Worrying about someone doing it through Overseer is the least of the community's worries. If someone wants to shell out a couple of hundred bucks to do that who cares?
  17. dreadlord Augur

Agreed - in part. There are rubbish players at all levels. But I never yet met a 115 SK who didn't know what FD was or an 115 ENC who had never heard of 'mezz' or CLR ignorant of DI etc etc. I guess we are about to....
    Why care? Because it's been a fundamental tenet since forever that you couldn't throw money at EQ to 'get good' - you actually had to earn it. Yes that's been full of holes and people breaking the rules since forever too - but it seems a very fundamental tenet of the game to just throw away with no debate whatsoever.
    Maybe I'm just old skool. Maybe no-one cares any more.
  18. Password1234 Augur

It's me, the guy who spends thousands of dollars clicking a button in PoK to max out my character without knowing what EverQuest is or having any desire to understand the class I chose. I don't know what auto attack is. Verant is forcing me into your group (which is equivalent to the superbowl, apparently) and there's nothing you can do about it, because I push button make yellow bar fill up. What is computers.
    dreadlord and enclee like this.
  19. Mr Blue Sky Elder

It would take a very very long time to get to 115 and max AA's using overseer quests. Even with throwing money at it.
    You only get a set amount of quests every 12 hours before they rotate, and only a selection of them will be collectables. It's also buggy, losing agents on conversion, missing quests, badly designed and rushed out very heavy handed.

The problem is it was promoted as helping people catch up with the game. It really doesn't do that at all, the ornamentations are well, pretty lame. The currency is useless and the more levels you get it takes longer to click all the boxes, then you don't have a agent suitable. Rewards get less the more effort you put in and now it's nerfed even more you can't even trade collectable items.

Doing this at 85 the level it is designed for is a waste of time, unless you just want to play around.
    Wait until 110/111 then start it and just use it as a bit of extra exp, the only real use it has.

Other than that it's a junk pointless feature which should never have been released. There is zero point as I can tell getting max in all skill levels.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That could be a pretty extreme challenge:
    Get to 115 and as many AA's as you can...
    Restriction: traveler achievements allowed: mines of gloomingdeep and plane of knowledge.

Everything else is fair game: buying TA's, using autogrant, overseer allowed, throw cash at it, etc...

I am not rich(or bored) enough to pull it off though...:p