Server crashed AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Sippycup The Holy Grail of Aradune

Everybody just chill
    Andarriel likes this.
  2. Azbaelus Lorekeeper

I had to ctrl-alt-del and restart to get out, too.
  3. Nyemahame New Member

Everyone calm down, I'm here now and I guarantee you everything will be fine once your respective server is up and running in a more consistent manner. I want to 1st apologize to all of those players who are experiencing a rush of anxiety due to the current lack of gratification. Having expectations is a large part of what gets us motivated and moving for all sorts of reasons.

Some of you schedule time to play, even more organized you might even plan what zone to XP quest and or farm in. When those best laid plans start to unfurl unwind and collapse it's possibly similar to missing that well timed dose of smack. You are no less of a person for wanting to feed your addiction. Not everyone would use a similar analogy but we all have experienced heightened emotions from some aspect of this game, some of us even over 20-21 years of it's existence. Search your memories, walk through that mental journey of past EQ related experiences, I doubt any of us would still be here if the summation of said experiences were net negative. I've kited almost everything possible before Kunark was released!

I was in the military when I 1st started playing EQ, I had 2 senior people always on the shop computer looking up this everquest game related sites, geocity sites!? I noticed those guys got along great and typically stuck me with all the hard labor so I started playing thinking I'd join their inner circle... Guess what it worked. Now our entire shift wasn't getting things done and we were ok with that, EQ was what brought us together. Sure my ex wife use to get pissed because she'd call and the phone line was busy, we only had dial-up service in those days, in a way EQ contributed to my divorce. OMG it use to take me 12-15 minutes to zone from Qeynos Hills to blackburrow! Do I blame EQ for prematurely ending my marriage?

No, if anything it gave me more time to play EQ w/o the wife nagging and complaining. Everquest was an escape, a retreat that at times I could spend too many hours on just like many of you. Ultimately EQ helped me find what I wanted to do when I grew up, I wanted to work on computers and build programs and eventually I grew up to do that and then eventually manage enterprise software platform development and now I have a cushy position as a senior manager for a global software technical operations team. Rather than whine and complain I choose to look at the brighter side and how this platform has changed my life for the better, hell EQ made me the man I am today, that may sound sad but I feel like I'm a pretty damn good person and with all that being said you guys need help (Darkpaw / Daybreak...SOE :)).

I offer help in the form of my knowledge and experience, not just because I'm a returning player, I'm an EverCrack addict that really needs his fix!!! But on a serious note I want to thank the Dev & Ops teams for all the effort they put in, I won't go as far as thanking the product management team. As a person who has been involved end to end with an enterprise class system that requires 24/7 support for over a dozen years you're not alone and there are those of us out there that know exactly what you guys experience on the day to day...

I'm not going to kid myself or make idle unhelpful threats. I'm simply going to login, do a couple of gribble HA's while popping lessons to get 14% closer to level 108 on my druid... you just let me know when's a good time to login and get 'er done :)
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Dood...started reading your post and after the first line I realized it was 6 paragraphs and stopped reading but noticed the military comment so thanks for your service!
    Nyemahame likes this.
  5. ZoomBox Lorekeeper

Even a semi-canned response of "We are still investigating the problem" or "We have found the problem and are now looking for a solution" repeating once an hour would be better than absolutely no word for 5 or 6 hours.
    Andarriel likes this.
  6. Archery Lorekeeper

What, not again!

I well remember the early years, whenever EQ went down, there would be a PATCH to fix the Patch that did the original "Maintenance". I haven't seen this happen again in years yet it now popped it's ugly head.
    One can only hope that the smaller redesigned Dev's attributable to EQ are not showing the rebirth of those days gone past :(
  7. Newbasaurus Journeyman

Someone leaves the team.
    Major problem of likes of the top 5ish in 4 years I've been playing again.
    Things that make you go hmmmm.

Clearly we need to add the compiler directive
    #define HOLLY401K

compile and big bang it!
  8. dreamweaver Community Manager

Not sure where there was not an update for 5-6 hours once I was aware of the issue, if you could point me to that it would be helpful. Also, while that is what some players may be asking for, for others that only serves to make the waiting worse. So I try to update only when there is information available as best as possible.
    Jennre, Celephane and Endorek like this.
  9. MiataDriver Augur

Oops, about an hour from now, time zones.
  10. Catashe Augur

you know just cause i joked in another thread that this game was held together with spit,gum,scotch tape and a WHOLE lot of prayer 8 hours ago... you guys didn't have to go and try and prove me right... right?!
  11. Naugrin Augur

It sounded to me like they are gonna try in about an hour.
  12. Nadisia Augur

One small step, we can now log in and get the server selection screen, no more «a connection to the server could not be reached» error.

All servers are still locked btw, but it's better than nothing :)
  13. dreamweaver Community Manager

14. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I feel for you. You have basically become the community's punching bag during this "disaster." Please know that some of us appreciate and understand you are doing your best to communicate things from the dev team to us here on the boards.

I was upset last month when the raids didn't open up, but then you realize "it is what it is" in this current climate or whatever you want to call it. People are just touchier.
  15. NightKing Journeyman

It's like looking at the candy you can't touch
  16. Aenedar New Member

Came back recently after something like a 15 year break. Glad to see big patches still break things for days ;)

In all seriousness though, people, ease up on dreamweaver. No need to beat up the messenger continually.
    Rexa likes this.
  17. MiataDriver Augur

Yeah, after posting I realized I got the timezones wrong.
  18. Bartleby Journeyman

Nope..... They aren't #2 anymore :0p
    the Reaver and Jondalar like this.
  19. Herf Augur

Things were hardly smooth when Holly was still there. #noheros
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.