Thanks for keeping a 21 year old game running

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I want to thank Daybreak for keeping Everquest going for 21 years. I can't imagine how difficult it is to try and work with all the old code and also spend the time updating it where possible.

While I think the rollout of releasing T3 raids was poorly done I think overall I really appreciate all the work that is done to keep such an old game going.
    OldCa61, eepok, Galarian and 7 others like this.
  2. Shamanagins New Member

3. seber Augur

they do good Job
  4. Brilhasti Elder

Let's not pretend they're doing us a favour, we're paying for this.
    Thancra, Makta, Aenvar and 4 others like this.
  5. Chopin.Xegony Augur

Also currently, and for the majority of the past two days, the game aint runnin
    Thancra, Makta, Modef and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Owwww

Thank you sir, may I have another?
    Makta likes this.
  7. enclee Augur

Why are you thanking a private equity firm for making money?
    Thancra, Xyphen, TheNewNewbie and 4 others like this.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

They keep it running because eq still makes money but this downtime is no fun when its up and down like this. this is why I hate online games (only online game I play). think I need to reinstall diablo 2 that's what I was playing before eq (started eq around sept 2000)

Andarriel
  9. Zunnoab Augur

Yep I agree. Criticizing the T3 circus (among other things) isn't mutually exclusive with still being happy the game's still going and appreciating that.
    Kildaill and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Magickon Augur

11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Paying for a service and appreciating it are NOT mutually exclusive. And I do appreciate the work all the devs put into it even if they are getting a pay check and not doing it all for free.

Don't thank the wife for making a nice dinner she had to eat too right? :)

P.S. though in my household I do all the cooking so you would have to thank me. But then again I don't care if I get thanks or not because I have to eat too. heh heh.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I thank people I am paying all the time. It is common courtesy.

As for the current issues, if someone at Daybreak was deliberately causing them or they had failed to do their job deliberately, then, no, I would not thank them. However, I have no evidence that is the case.

Therefore, I assume they are doing the best they can with a 21 year old game (in computer years that is stone age); and funding and staff levels that are below optimal.

Thank you Daybreak/Darkpaw for your efforts. While I do not always approve of how you do things, I do appreciate your trying your best for us.
    eepok, Nennius, Nadisia and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kildaill New Member

This is fact. They are working with very old code that has a lot of limitations and trying to make it work. I know they will get it figured out and make things right with us.
    eepok and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  14. Nadisia Augur

If you like the hack&slash genre, you should check Grim Dawn.
    Cool H&S game, great replayability, and it's offline.

@Corwhyn Yeah, it's cool to have official EQ servers after so many years, and expansions, new stuff, and so on.

But running, running ... it's quickly said :D
    More like crawling at this moment.
    Andarriel likes this.
  15. Zunnoab Augur

I'm sure they are, but deciding to patch in so many changes right before the unlock wasn't a smart thing to do. That was a mistake. It's already happened, and I'm not angry, but it was an avoidable mistake. They could have timed that better.
    Brilhasti likes this.
  16. Goburs The Filthy Casualz Leader

So you pick a time when most of the community is annoyed to make this post? I bet the gym selfies are a hit on your instagram.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yep intentionally picked this time. A reminder that it is a 21 year old game seemed appropriate :) No idea what you mean about gym selfies. :) Unless that was your nice way of asking for some? It's okay don't be shy.

Also a reminder that most of the community understands these things happen.
  18. ArtremasEQ Augur

Post hoc ergo propter hoc - You assume that the outage was caused by the patch, but there is no evidence of that currently (either for or against). Databases can go down for a myriad of reasons. Show some patience. It is hardly ever as obvious as many are making out.

I thank the devs for the time and passion they put into Everquest. Do they get paid for doing it ? yes, sure, I damn well hope so. But clearly they also have passion about it.

The amount of vitriol, spitting, rudeness and downright meanness on these forums is astounding. People feel very safe hiding behind their keyboards.

I'm sure most would be stunned if they truly understood the cost of the level of service they seem to be expecting, and I'm fairly sure, unwilling to pay for it. You pay a pittance (and for some, nothing) for a service that is pure entertainment, and yet expect it to come with 99.999% uptime, gold-plated service of a bank or missile defense. Get real.

Never mind in the world of Covid-19. We're somewhat lucky they are 'working' at all to fix things.

These forums are often 'the entitlement generation' writ large. It is disgusting.

Do I agree with the dev's all the time, hell no. Do I think there are areas which would be better done differently, hell yes. But:

Get over yourselves and show some basic human dignity and respect to other people, such as the developers and staff of Darkpaw games.
    Kerrmutt, eepok, Fanra and 1 other person like this.
  19. Graves Elder

As a matter of interest do you think Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself too?
    Zee_Rex likes this.
  20. Vicus Augur

Or many years ago they could of updated the game engine and made life easier for them now? 19 expansions ago the capped out the limit for the engine. We have gone 19 expansions just "making" things work instead of doing something to fix it. The amount of hours the devs have to dedicate to this old code is counter productive to making a profit. What takes them months can be done in days on newer systems/engines. Its time to upgrade or make a new EQ game. Time to stop repeating their excuses for them. I appreciate that they are keeping the game going as much as I love looking at Clydesdale horses. Beautiful animals but no way I want to use them as personal vehicles like our forefathers.