Hopefully a few easy EXP questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Free2Play1999, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Hello friends,
    I'm hoping for some clarification on an issue of exp and percentage of AA.
    I have a group of 6 that I enjoy playing. From time to time I pay for 1 months subscription, 1 character at a time. I have now gotten them to the maximum F2P AA and level of 110.
    So, this last month I payed for a subscription on 1 character because of the double exp time and I was doing very well with AA, getting some where between 100 to 150 AA in a 3 hour crazy xp session for that one character.
    This month I did the same but I signed up for 2 characters. But, I noticed the xp speeds dropped dramatically. Same area, same mobs, roughly the same speed. I seem to be getting a third to a half of the xp I was getting before.
    So, my question: What has happened here? On month 1 was all the mobs xp being given to 1 character and now is all the xp is being split to the 2? Also, the characters AA amounts jumped from roughly 8000 AA to 16000 AA when I turned on AutoGrant. Does the total amount of AA for a character or a group have any bearing on the percentage of AA a character gets per kill? And finally, if the other characters are maxed out and are not receiving any xp at all, where does that xp go? Can their xp be turned off so the other characters in the group can receive it?
    Thank you in advance.
    Eestwind99 likes this.
  2. Zarkane New Member

Last month there was bonus exp for the anniversary event. Now its off. Perhaps thats it?
  3. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Thanks for the response. I thought maybe that was it at first, but I noticed that the exp was also slower this weekend during the double-exp-easter-weekend. I'll take any other suggestions though. o_O
  4. Gialana Augur

There is bonus AA experience from 0 to 4000 AA. There's a curve so that when you have 0 AA, you gain AA 5, maybe 10 times as fast. But by the time you're close to 4000AA, you gain almost the same as those with higher counts.

If your were grouping with characters at maximum experience and had fellowship sharing turned on, the character not at max level should have been gaining experience more quickly.

Those are the only things I can think of that might explain what you described.
  5. Riou EQResource

Were you experiencing them solo or were they in a group, and did you notice if the groups puller was getting more EXP per kill
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Around the beginning of March there was a patch that adjusted the exp ration if you had X amount of players in group vs X amount of mercs - you get more exp bonus for players vs mercs. So if your group make up was 4 real + 2 merc you would have gotten yy amount but change that to 3 real + 3 merc and your bonus drops to y.

From patch "Increased the experience bonus for having other players (not mercenaries) in your group".

Also levels of the characters can affect it. My 2 105's would get AA exp but my 85 would get nothing - not even real exp. But once the 85 became 95 he hogged all the exp and the 105 would hardly get anything.

There are so many factors that could affect this you would spend all your time trying to figure it out. I just played on till the 95 got to level with the 105 and now they all seem to get about the same. It can even be affected by what the AA % is set at - some players get more AA at 90% than they do at 100% - really odd. or even if the "auto grant" slider is still set to "on" for some reason
  7. Madeni Elder

You auto-granted between those two sessions? it makes sense if you did, players with low AA gain at a higher rate, until they reach a certain amount and then the AAXP goes back to normal.
    It has been that way for sometime now, to help people that are making new characters or just starting game, catch up with others faster without getting frustrated and quitting.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=12319
  8. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Hi,
    Thank you so much for all the advice, I appreciate it.
    I think I may have figured out my problem. Hopefully I can type it out.
    So, my group of 6 is mostly F2P as I have said before. Once in a while I have paid to auto grant over the years. They are all at the max level of 110. A couple months ago I paid for a month on one of the 6 and auto granted him. He jumped from around 5k AA to 15k AA. I got him a bunch of AAs for that month. I was getting about 2 AA for every 3 mobs I was killing. The mobs were in that category of dark blue on the low end to light blue on the high end. A month later, I did the same with another character. Again, about 2 AA for every 3 mobs killed for a month. It had me thinking, is all the xp that would be going to the other 5 characters just disappearing? So, I gathered some extra cash and paid for 2 characters to get auto granted and able to get AA again. Those 2 bumped up from about 8k AA to 16k AA, the max for an auto grant. Now 2 out of the 6 are getting xp. Instead of me getting 2 AA every 3 mobs its more like 2 AA every 6 mobs.

I assume this is happening. Forgive me on my basic math. (characters are marked as C1, C2, etc.)

Month 1
    Mob has 120XP , dead, xp given to characters.
    C1 (paid) receives 120xp, C2 0 xp, C3 0, C4 0, C5 0, C6 0

Month 2
    Mob has 120XP, dead, xp given to characters.
    C1 0, C2 (paid) receives 120xp, C3 0, C4 0, C5 0, C6 0

Month 3
    Mob has 120XP, dead, xp given to characters.
    C1 0, C2 0, C3 (paid) 60xp, C4 (paid) 60xp, C5 0, C6 0

Does this look about right? I was always thinking that the 120xp on the other 5 for months 1 and 2 was just poofing away since the 5 in the group were maxed out. Maybe it auto looks at the group, sees the group and hands out the xp to the only character or characters that can accept it.
    I just hoped that the 2 group members for month 3 would both get 120xp per kill versus 60. I can only assume then that if I had paid for 3 characters that month it would've been split even further to only 40xp per kill making getting aas that much harder.

If someone has the time, please take a look at this and see if I have the basic idea right.
    Thanks again,
  9. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Hello,
    Here is a little update to my post.

Last night while I was playing I fought a named mob. Same group, same everything. All 6 characters 110 with all xp going to AA with only 2 characters currently in All Access.
    When it was done. 1 character got 5 aa, 1 character got 2 aa. Is there any reason for this? All 6 characters were active and contributing to killing the mob.
    Is there some xp formula out there that makes sense in any of this?

Thanks again.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Didn't bother reading how much of this other people noted, but things that could be affecting aa exp differentials:

1) AA total on characters - There is a bonus multiplier attached to aa exp between 0 and 4000 total spent aa. Didn't sound like that's your issue since you auto granted way past that, but it is a thing (1000%, i.e 10x bonus at 0 aa, scales linearly to 0% bonus at 4000)

2) There is a mechanism since RoF expansion (level 100 cap) where once you level past the original level cap of the expansion (like being 112 in EoK for example, or 105 in CotF expansion), where the exp you gain per kill is penalized (basically, player power scales way faster than mob exp yields scale down, so people 10-15 levels higher than content could plow zones for much better exp than they could get in current content, they wanted to stop that). That was originally pretty severe (75% reduction once you got 5+ levels), but was reduced later (25% at 5+ levels). So this doesn't affect aa exp per kill for same level characters differing in group, but its another thing.

HOWEVER, due to a bug never fixed, the FIRST person to aggro a mob (the puller) bypasses this artificial reduction in SOME zones (like Frontier Mountains in EoK), so people have found the puller gets way more exp than the other players in the group.

3) Some classes supposedly still retain their exp bonus (warriors and halflings each get 5%, so halfling warrior gets 10%), but it is not supposed to affect AA, so its an exp thing though

4) If your levels differ, obviously that will change things (higher levels take more exp, ALSO, higher levels in group take a proportionally bigger chunk of exp, so if you're 105 grouped with a 105 and kill the same mob as when you're grouped with a 115, you don't get 50% of the exp like when grouped with the 105 when killing with the higher level. Also, another facet is the exp yield is dependent on the HIGHEST level pc in group. So not only does a higher level take a little bigger chunk, you get a smaller pool of gain overall from that mob if levels aren't the same. This is something that affects aa exp.

5) You can outpace exp by distance. So like, if you're puller runs off before a mob is dead to get the next mob, and runs way out there, when the mob dies, that player won't get ANY experience.

6) Obviously, if one player has an exp buff going, that is another thing to make things different, or if you have an enchanter exp aura and someone in group is a little too far away from the enchanter.

7) Fellowship sharing messes this up a lot too. Like, if one character has sharing on and one doesn't, can change things dramatically. So make sure its off on all your characters.
  11. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

Yepmetoo,

This is such wonderful info, thank you very much for the great write up.
    I can tell you a few things that fit the scenarios your wrote about.
    The mob that did give 5 aa to one character and 2 to the other was pulled by the character that got 5 aa, so you are correct on that one. Also, it was in Frontier Mountains. Nice.
    Fellowship xp is all turned off, everyone is level 110. All roughly the same amount of AAs from autogrant. The 2 characters in question are a mage and a druid. The mage got the 5 aa.
    Either way, I will test it a little more. Maybe this time I will pull with the druid to see if the druid gets more xp because of the initial agro.

Thanks again.