Necromancer and their DoTs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Revan, Apr 13, 2020.

1. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Another easy add to the ignore list.
  2. Trinost Journeyman

There is a clear purpose. It needs done. Why are you against necro's being a stronger class. What do you have against the class? I don't even play a necro and I know the utility they have brought to a group and raid since classic. They should be allowed to do more damage in groups and in raids. We upgrade shamans dmg and they are a support class. Necros are actually a dps class but they've neglected to upgrade their dmg? This makes little sense. Necros as a dps class should have had their spells fixed long ago. The fact that this is a 21 year old game and they still haven't is actually quite sad.

What they should be doing is condensing the DoT time to make necros more active at reapplying their dots, increasing the damage and have the dmg of the ticks increase over time the longer it is on the target. I think someone said this was like spurt or something? So a 2min dot today should become a 35sec spell and by time it hits 35sec's the dmg per tick is quite strong.

If they want to make a real change over all to help the necro class they could *LIGHT-BULB MOMENT DEVS READ* maybe even provide a medium dmg nuke (half what a wizard does in similar level nukes) with a bit of a long channel cast something like 4 seconds and when it connects with the target the spell completes all the dots applied to the target and maybe doing 75-85% of the over all dmg left over in the timer. This would be great for groups allowing necros to actually be a viable group player for quick kills. Drop 1-2 dots and nuke to do not only provide dmg from this mild nuke, but provide a major impact from the over all dmg instantly being done by the dots rushed to completion. Having it only do 75-85% of the over all dmg from nukes provides some balance while allowing them to be part of a raid burn phases and like i said before be a functioning group member with the quick kills. While leaving the dots to complete on their own is a method for the necros to conserve some mana but still provide decent dps so they must choose to be mana efficient or burn! I would not suggest this nuke to cost a lot of mana to cast because the necros are already casting the dots for that dmg. I'd suggest it like being half the dmg of wizard nuke also be half the mana cost with the added feature to complete the dots.

I should see if there is a dev suggestion box or something in case those devs don't read this haha. EVERYONE SUGGEST THIS INFO. :p:D
  3. BackInEQ New Member

I'm not sure if this was a troll or what. I play in PoP on Mangler and you literally described exactly what we do there. PoP gave us Neurotoxin, a lowish damage nuke but once you get the Crit AAs to go with it puts out plenty of damage. It gets used a ton in grouping and on big MoBs if I go all out I end up dead from pulling agro. Stack a few DoTs and chain cast Neurotoxin and I am easily on the Parse.
  4. Coletricklw Journeyman

No wonder you cut off his post. He was suggesting functionality that doesn't exist in the game so you're clearly not doing that on Mangler. He didn't just say hey give us a nuke.

Also if it's lower damage before AAs it is still going to be lower damage compared to other classes who will still have the same crit AA.
    Rarecandy likes this.
  5. BackInEQ New Member

You are right, I had to read it a couple of more times to sort out what he was saying. I guess I'm just really happy with where the Necro stands as of PoP. If I want to go full damage and make the Parse I can, if I need to focus on the Clerics and keep them running I can. While still doing damage just with my Clickies. If I want to be lazy and just Root Rot for levels I can do that too.
  6. Coletricklw Journeyman

Necros are great solo and raid, imo. Group game if not in an undead area is rough, though.
  7. Zinth Augur

Just wish the Necros would keep their master soloing crown all the way through the game, they were masters, now they are just neglected husks
  8. Umul Augur

I reread my post Lol, Idk see how you could understand my post to read as not wanting necros to be better. If necro isn't an amazing dps class for a few expansions as a result of whatever work is being done I'm not gonna shelf my necro. I know they hit hard in live and they hit hard in classic.

My question is the "how". How does that happen? I like your suggestion with a medium damage mana efficient nuke. Sounds like you are describing a Destruction warlock in Vanilla wow.

Downtime will be something to consider if dot line dps are all merged. A medium damage nuke to fill the downtime is a good idea, maybe something more creative like a worthwhile buff that actually helps the group/raid?

Is a necro in classic on the next TLP going to enter a VOX dz and just cast 1 poison dot/ 1 fire dot and spam lifetaps and Feign death? That's 4 spell gems. Playing that over all the xpansions, i dont hate it.
  9. Umul Augur

I agree 100%. I would trade being able to solo forever for being a great group dps.
  10. Machen New Member

Which eras? Because through most of the eras on the TLP's, necros are downright awful, among the very worst DPS.
  11. Bewts Augur

The easiest change has always been to allow Necros the ability to “condense” damage over time for certain spell lines into nukes.

You can achieve this with an AA that when toggled on, allows your dots to be fully front loaded, with recast timers extended and total damage modified. The AA would be able to determine if you’re, solo in a group or a raid and the modifiers are modified accordingly.

In example, a fire dot can have its magic condensed into a front loaded DD with a 1 tick residual dot component. And then the DD element is modified based on solo, group or raid composition such as 10/20/30% (or whatever) more damage of half non-crit dot damage. The dot tick itself is the backloaded residual damage. Both comps are modified by crit mods of their type.

As you upgrade the AA line, you can increase the damage mods of either side of the nuke or dot component.

This could be assigned according to each resist type, level of the dot or just in general. And it would eliminate the need to revamp a spell database and instead just modify how the damage is applied mechanically to work around debuff slots on mobs.
  12. RibbitDivot New Member

I've seen Necros parse extremely well in Velious and Luclin and still very good in PoP.
  13. Pazuzu New Member

yeh.

....but leave our DoTs alone.
  14. Xeris Augur

Yep... You can EASILY top parses in Velious/Luclin...
    Umul likes this.
  15. Umul Augur

Sounds like a totally new class or a really bad wizard lol.

Hopefully the increased downtime from consolidating dots will give us more time to cast our crumby nukes.
  16. Hadesborne Augur

I am wondering if any of these necros ACTUALLY played one in 1999 - 2001. Necro were THE top DPS class for group/solo content(thanks to charm in groups). When Luclin came out and they allowed stacking from multiple necros, we then became the top DPS class for raids as well. Then they started balancing, ie: melee buffs, Nuke buffs to other casters. Eventually using AA buffs over multiple expansions to every other class except Necros, then throwing some small % increase to dot dmg AA line at us, and piss-poor spell line increases, we were pushed down a few pegs to "sometimes" the top, but mostly around the top 5 on raids. Then with all the debuffs and crap they gave to round out literally every other class, we hit the Effect limit on mobs. After that necros started to be told NOT to cast dots on raids. So, you see necros swapping mains or quitting all together. TLP's come, and they buffed melee AGAIN with a massive buff and start their consolidation of every other class's DOTS, leaving necros last (the ONE class that needed consolidation FIRST). Necros fall even further behind. Unviable in groups, Solo XP nerfed, every other class that has a damage spell or ability dominating parses on raids, means TLP necros started swapping to monks and wizards. This is WHAT happened to the necros. Nerfed or unbuffed into oblivion.

You want to say how YOU make parses just fine in POP? Here is the reason: EVERYONE else in youre raid sucks. In a TOP-END guild no necro is topping a parse in POP, you will find youself sitting below every monk (like 8 of them), every wizards(5 or 6 of them), the rangers(3-4 of them) and a rogue or two, If you do TOP a parse it means all of them DIED and you finished the god off by the skin of your teeth. Also, it gets worse from there. Later on in expansions even Warriors, Bards, and Mages will be out parsing necros. We went from Best to worst DPS class in raids. A necro shouldn't have to maintain a crap ton of dots (while getting resists that mess your rotation up) and keep 10 plates spinning while jumping up and down like a baboon just to get 12th on the DPS charts, while the other DPS classes hit auto attack or press one button every 4 seconds and destroy us on the parse.

This isn't even taking into account the eventuallity of how many other classes will start to beat the necro on parses due to Crappy game mechanics with mobs spawning and despawning and rinse-repeat just to make raid events harder. These events RUIN a necro's playstyle. Once you get despawning mobs, try re-stacking 14 dots only to have the mob depop in 2 minutes. Then you start your re-stacking when it spawns(becomes targettable) again. This leads to TERRIBLE dps because all you are doing is ramping up and never reaping the reward for your efforts. We end up nuking with suboptimal nuke spells (total crap DPS). This is where the raIding events go to.

There still will be PLENTY of stuff to do in raids after they revamp our dot lines. You do realize that we have multiple lines of fire dots, multiple lines of magic dots, multiple lines of poison dots and multiple lines of disease dots. We will still have PLENTY of things to do. How about maintaining crippling claudication on the boss so your raid leader will want to keep you with some melee DPS for the atk buff AND A BARD to help your DPS too? There are alot of other things we CAN be doing but we don't have time for because of the hoop jumping circus act we end up performing.

They promised us a revamp YEARS ago. Don't fight them or give them any reason NOT to complete their work. It has taken too long already. Necros need the revamp so they will have time to actually do other stuff (like nuke or debuff or feed mana if they want to) between DoT rotations. This revamp will only increase our power and our viability in all areas of the game. Necros are in a bad place and get worse as each TLP goes along. Stop de-railing NEEDED changes that were started and promised before you came along.
  17. Aueman Journeyman

Necros are doing great on my TLP ( Phinigel ). Maybe play past PoP?
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

In gates you're going to start hitting mobs that hp lock.

Necros HATE THIS 1 WEIRD TRICK.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  19. Hadesborne Augur

I have, on Live and on Phinny. The issue is this: I, and many other necros, don't think your deffinition of "great" and my deffinition of "great" are even in the same ballpark. They are absolutely NOT "Great" and haven't been for over a decade. I must reitterate this one point: we, the majority of necros, have been waiting for this DoT revamp patiently for a while now. This isn't the end-all-be-all fix, but it WILL be a step in the right direction. Decreasing a necro's ramp-up time to help increase their DPS, as well as decrease the need to spellbar swap 20+ dots in our rotation. This will free us up to actually do a few other things while we are maintaining our rotation, be it: nuking to increase our DPS, feeding mana, buffing, debuffing, Battle-rezzing fallen clerics, etc. We have an amazing toolbox. It would be nice to have a bit more extra DPS and the ability to wield our diverse skillsets. So PLEASE let the devs continue their work and avoid derailing things that were set in motion long ago.