The Path to 115

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Apr 10, 2020.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Most people don't know where the ignore button is though!

Just saying!

Look, its simple. If people want to do the missions, they can get together and do the missions. If people don't want to, they won't. I have no sympathy for those that don't put in the minimal effort to start a group.

You made a claim of something as a fact, that they will/have "lose subs" over the exp needed to level from 110-115. You have no proof whatseover. You also have no proof that the net gain of casuals loving how easy this expansion is, doesn't outpace any people quitting over it.

You can keep reiterating your "fact" over and over, but it isn't a fact. Its your belief based off your biased perspective.
  2. Tappin Augur

Yepmetoo,

Historically, SOE/DBG has made bad design decisions (all game developers do) followed up by community complaint. Instead of learning from their mistake, they repeat the same mistake a few years later at greater cost.

Here is one such example: During TDS, they upgraded CoTF HAs with TDS mob templates. Many people were unhappy about this change. The major complaint was that it makes older content harder than it was originally intended, making the content not worth the effort and risk. However, with a few post from the developers explaining their logic, players simply remained on the fence about it. Fast-forward to RoS, DBG repeated the same mistake. We all know what happened next (not worth explaining).

I will be clear, I do NOT think (nor do I have any evidence of) that anyone cancelled their account over this change. However, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that a lot of people are on the fence about it, and waiting to see if the design pattern continues. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but looking at SoE/DBG history, this change has the potential to be ticking time bomb.

If you really want to “shut up,” then if I can get a legitimate response a question, I will agree not to make another post on this subject.

1. Why was the decision made to put large experience gains on missions, instead distributing the experience more uniformly across other facets of the game? (Hint: the answer has nothing to do with AFK Bots)
  3. Tappin Augur

I made a typo in that post, should be if you really want me to shut up...
  4. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

From the AMA:

Prathun: We do want there to be a meaningful reward for doing the expansion content progression as it's much more logistically difficult than farming NPCs. And we definitely don't want farming easy NPCs from older expansions to be the best way to level.

So basically, they didn't want us to be able to go back to GMM and slaughter easy mobs up to 115 in no time at all with very little risk. The only way to do that other than nerf all previous expansion mobs XP was to make the xp required significantly higher.

Instead of getting new clicky items like previous expansions for finishing the quests, we got big XP rewards for finishing them to make up for the increase needed to lvl.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Vento New Member

Leveling hasn't changed one bit in EQ, and 110-115 isn't any better or worse than going from 50-60, 60-65, etc etc. The issue is, we've become so accustomed to blowing through 1 (85) - 110 with our boxed alts that actual current content leveling becomes an issue. It slows down drastically at 111, and that's not a bad thing. It gives you time to enjoy the content, get better gear and spell upgrades. The title of this post shouldn't be The Path to 115, it should be The Rush to 115. I remember it taking literal weeks to go from 59-60 in Karnors Castle with the same group of friends almost every night. We are extremely lucky to have HA's and achievement experience gains these days because it offers an amazing boost especially when paired with a Lesson Of The Devoted. I love grouping the same as the next player, but nothing has changed in EQ as far as XP gained per (appropriate zone for your level) kill.
  6. MysticOne Augur

Why can't it be both ways? Why can't you get exp and item rewards and achievements? When you get a character to 115 with max AA's, then don't you just log on a different one? There 14 character slots per account per server? If you run out of those can't you make a new account? Why the squeeze?
  7. Tappin Augur

This doesn't answer the question on why the experience is not uniformly distributed across other facets (progression/quest) of the game. Since the experience is just a one-time adjustment, AoE killing doesn’t have an impact.
  8. Tappin Augur

My complaint is with the large one-time experience adjustments given on the completion of the heroic missions. The only reason slow experience is being talked about (by me) is because it fits the definition punishment.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's been almost 4 months now. Are you seriously unable to not do any of the missions to this point? Or did you try them once back in December, say they're too hard and never went back.
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Historically there's only been 2 main ways to XP, killing and doing quests. I provided the answer why they didn't evenly distribute it between killing and quests, if mass killing was equally as a good as doing the quests than the majority of players would find the easiest mobs they could kill and lvl up that way. That's not what they intended.

Now we also have supplemental ways to XP, Collections and Overseer. Finishing an expansion worth of collections is a pretty significant XP boost and there's several expansions worth to buy/farm that are trivial now. Overseer can get you an additional 5-10% XP per day as well now.

There are plenty of options to use to lvl up. I know some people have gone from 114-115 without ever leaving the guild hall using overseer and it's only been out a month. The same can be done with collections, spend some time shopping Baz and you can get a full lvl without ever leaving Baz.
  11. Tappin Augur

The issue of AoE killing doesn't pertain to one-time adjustments being provide on other progression/quest - The reward is only given one time. Comparatively speaking, a TBL raid geared group can easily knock off three of four heroic (and probably the 4th) in under 10 minutes each (30 mintutes for all 3). From my experience, it’s mostly raiders who have AoE groups, so time doesn’t really matter either.

I never thought of the potential of purposely keeping the experience low in order to promote the sale of a pay to win micro transaction system.
  12. Duder Augur

Your numbers are way off. Group geared players can do the same. Do you expect heroic characters with no progression and no aas to be able to zip through content like it were nothing? What would this game be then? You don't seem to understand the gravity of your wants. I have a suggested game for you:

[IMG]
  13. Tappin Augur

Then heroic geared group players can kill the missions in about the same time. Hence it really does not make a difference if the experience is more uniform in ToV
  14. Duder Augur

You trying to make this about raiders/non-raiders is shabby deflection at best. The one time exp from champion/savior is larger than paragon, they are tied together, it is progression. Do you think that kill tasks (mercenary), should be giving the same exp as paragon or savior?
  15. Tappin Augur

No, I am not trying to make it about raiders vs non raiders. My point was that the time it takes to complete any mission/kill quest is roughly the same time (It doesn't matter if you AoE not). I am honestly trying to get a better understand on why the bulk of the experience is on the heroic missions.

I guess you can argue that the missions a harder, but people keep reminding me that they are in fact easy.
  16. Duder Augur

The difficulty is higher thus the reward is higher.
  17. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

If you finish all of the Mercenary and Partisan quest lines you get a big boost just like finishing all 4 Heroic Missions. It takes more quests to get the big boost but you still get smaller boosts along the way for finishing each zone.

Historically the Heroic Mission arc has always provided a bigger/better reward than the mercenary/partisans arcs (Jann's Veil, Emp Ganik Familiar, and so forth). In the past these were also locked behind all of the other quests. You had to finish the mercs/partisans before you could request the heroics or have someone who did all the quests request them for you. They made this expansion more accessible so you can skip all the merc/part quests and start with the heroics for that big boost right off the bat. To me that makes it easier for people catching up or with limited play time. You can go from 110 to 112-113 in one night just by doing the Heroic Missions. Now you're already a couple lvls ahead and can go back for the other quests.
  18. Tarasqua New Member

The merc quest lines should be considered a blessing for those who want to grind xp. Hail the quest giver and grind the mobs. Why would you not want the bonus once you've killed 12 of the mobs that you were planning on killing anyways?
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

But the merc tasks themselves give no xp...and doing all the merc task achievements only reward xp once.
    enclee likes this.
  20. Tarasqua New Member

You're right I should've said this...
    The merc quest lines should be considered a blessing for those who want to grind. Hail the quest giver and grind the mobs. Why would you not want a nice one time bonus once you've killed a few sets of 12 mobs that you were planning on killing anyways?