/Tar command Issue

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by TheTone, Apr 15, 2020.

1. TheTone Elder

So, I have a really dumb problem - I have two characters, Weekan and Weekant.

My issue is that I am unable to target Weekan when using "/tar Weekan" because it always ends up targeting Weekant since /tar seems to work like a "contains..." search instead of an "exact" search.

Is there a way to use the /tar command in an "exact" fashion? Something that would let me target Weekan only. Thanks!
    Mukkul likes this.
  2. Kuursed New Member

I would try /tar Weekan_ (The underscore used to signify a space... but it has been squirrely when trying to look up guild names with the underscore for quite a while)
  3. TheTone Elder

I should have mentioned that I tried a few different things, all to no avail:

/tar Weekan_
    /tar "Weekan"
    /tar 'Weekan'
    /tar "Weekan_"
    /tar 'Weekan_'

The underscore only seems to work as a space in a very literal sense (/tar an_aviak works fine) but not to "end" a name.

I might bite the bullet and just rename one of them - as of now, I have to manually assign Weekan as the main tank (he's a SK) and have my cleric set him to the extended target window to target him.
  4. niente Developer

Sounds like a bug.. will look.
  5. TheTone Elder

Thank you!
  6. German Augur

I don't know if changing that would benefit the community after all this time Niente. Enhancing the command to be exact instead of contains would be a better change if it was with a parameter but always defaulted to its current behavior.
    Daedly and Vexana_Lanys like this.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

Are they always grouped together? You can use F1-F6 keys to target them, if so. Those keys select from the top down in the group window (F1 being yourself).
  8. Coletricklw Journeyman

Agreed with leaving current functionality passive and adding a flag or something for exact.

Training guild leaders who are thirsty for blood on Mangler have been known to name their pets the same name as themselves to prevent binding sight on their warp actions (since /target always chooses the pet for some reason) so you can't record their actions. Perhaps something to differentiate between players and non-players would be nice as well.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you type name and it gets an exact match it should do that first and if there isn't one it should continue with the default behavior.
    svann, Moege, Mukkul and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gialana Augur

I think the target works as a starts with. So you could even type "/tar w" to get one of those characters targeted, as long as there's not another character that starts with "w." Also, my experience is that the command will target the nearest character whose name starts with what you type.

Another possible way around your issue would be to take up an extended target window slot. Manually target Weekan. Then right click on one of the extended target slots, say number 8, and set it to current target. Then you can target Weekan with /xtar 8.
  11. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

On a related note, the target command could certainly use an overhaul in functionality. Like being able to specify npc or pc or pet. Or a /target command version of the target hotkeys (target nearest npc, cycle target, target nearest pc, etc).

Or is that another thing that exists that I don't know about ;)
  12. Tanise Elder

I'll take reasons I don't name my toons the same for 200 Alec.
    Crystilla and Velisaris_MS like this.
  13. Daedly Augur

It's the Daily Double!
    Crystilla and svann like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Options

Keys

Select Category:
    Target

Jordis and Zunnoab like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think he is asking for a keyboard command and not just a key to press since he did mention that there was keys you could press for this functionality
    Rasper Helpdesk likes this.
  16. Eriadoc Elder

While we're on the subject, can we get a /tar command for group marked? /tar gmark1 or something?
  17. forum troll Elder

Hello just tested a similar situation for you I made 2 characters Testtar and Testtart I was able to use /tar Testtar0 (zore) to target Testtar, hope that helps

Also I believe this works because I ruled out Testtart as being an option by adding the 0, it may work other numbers or letters
    Moege and TheTone like this.
  18. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Exactly so. Currently when I need to farm deep grey mobs I change my target nearest npc key to "1", then put "/pet attack" on hotkey one, then just spam press 1 while watching tv. Being able to have a hotkey set to "/target nearestnpc; /pet attack" would make it so I wouldn't forget to change it back after and end up killing myself by targeting the wrong thing ;)
  19. lockjaws Augur

/tar Weekan0
    Technically, we are Yourname00 running around, just like your corpse is Yourname's_corpse00, Yourname's_corpse01, etc.
    Fenthen and Axxius like this.
  20. TheTone Elder

Thanks!