The Path to 115

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Tappin Augur

And the new system primarily benefits raiders and punishes anyone who cannot get through the progression and kills off small groups at the same time.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Discord AMA

Question 39: There has been criticism about the way experience is earned in ToV. Some of us dislike the idea of forced progression, myself included. Will this trend continue into future expansions?

Ngreth: There are criticisms about everything we do. In the last two expansions we increased the amount of experience required to level more than we increased the amount of experience gained for killing an NPC. A ToV NPC does offer more exp per kill, but the amount of EXP required to level is larger than that increase. I like the idea of granting large amounts of experience for completing the content of an expansion. If it is up to me, the answer is, yes, we will continue to grant large amounts of experience for completing content in the expansion, making it the most efficient way to gain levels. Will we always increase that amount of experience required to gain a level as much as we did this time? That is a less certain decision for which I do not have an answer.

niente: Progression isn't forced, leveling just takes longer if you don't do it. I think you'll get more traction if you can explain what you don't like about progression or what's stopping you from doing it.

Absor: (looks up the definition of "forced"...)

Prathun: We do want there to be a meaningful reward for doing the expansion content progression as it's much more logistically difficult than farming NPCs. And we definitely don't want farming easy NPCs from older expansions to be the best way to level.
    -----------------------------------------------------

On the contrary, ToV progression actually encourages grouping in the latest expansion (as opposed to botting in old expansions)!
  3. Tappin Augur

Nope, it encourages bottling in new expansion instead of the old.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I've noticed that botters are not keen to be in new expansion zones because of the visibility. Progression tasks have the incidental effect of fanning people out all over ToV as eyes and ears to report and petition.

ToV progression gives even casual players with limited grind time to gain major chunks of experience. If you are looking at 2-3 hours average per partisan or mercenary (3 task set, 11 total), you are looking at level 113/114 in 22-33 hours of playtime. (This amount of time seems reasonable so a nerf is not necessary). Players can skip harder partisans or mercenaries and substitute this with TAs to ToV missions. This calculation does not include collection experience and Overseer player experience. This also fails to account the ability of multiple characters to receive task updates (no-loot tasks).
  5. enclee Augur

Have you not been to Great Divide or Eastern Wastes?
    NeverPayForLag and Nadisia like this.
  6. Duder Augur

Who primarily benefited from the pre-nerf GMM? How does the super easy progression, easy mobs, easy missions, and other content of ToV primarily benefit raiders? What is it you want? First you say the game was too easy and now its too hard and you come here and cry about how its a plague to the entire game. Get off it. This xpac is so easy and casual oriented that if it were to be made any easier Fisher Price would be selling it.
    Celephane and Yinla like this.
  7. Nadisia Augur

You are kidding, right?
    EW and GD are full of bot groups, everywhere.
    In GD, the poor kodiacs are abused by botters.
    And it's not restricted to these 2 zones, I've seen bot groups in CC or TotFS too.

Besides that, I'm not against the questing model described in the AMA.
    In my humble opinion, it's not a bad idea.
    It just requires some tweaks and adjustments.
    AA XP in ToV is fine (mobs grind), but the regular XP is maybe a little bit low.
    Not much, just a little bit.

As pure groupers/boxers now in our husband/wife duet, we enjoyed the expansion.
    It takes less time to complete the leveling with this system, because questing do offer huge chunks of XP.
    It's just a little bit less flexible for alts, because you need to repeat the same stuff over and over in the exact same way, because as I've said, classic grind for regular XP is ... meh.

I won't do much comments on the collections/overseer part, I don't want to be insulting, but imho, it's just ... dumb.
    For us, running around to collect shiny dots, or click on a mindless mini game every 6, 12, or 24h is not gameplay. It's just boring, and plain stupid.
    I pay a monthly fee to play Everquest, not Everseer.
    And I'm not a Roomba iRobot vacuum cleaner, collecting dust is not my cup of tea.
    Ground spawns from time to time for specific quests was ok, but hundreds everywhere for every single expansion is just too much.

And for love of Erollisi Marr, at least give us specific craftable collection bags and give us a way to store all this garbage decently !!! :p
    enclee likes this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Oh get real man. There are raiders and non-raiders alike in ToV. All 115. I don't know what server you play on, or what kind of player you are (maybe the way you play, you just can't get a group?) but the things you spew are simply wrong.
    Celephane and Sokki like this.
  9. Tappin Augur

What kind of person are you? The same you ask of me can be asked of you. There are clearly consequences to level experience change and trying to convince the players who have valid complaints that their issues is a real issues clearly identifies who you are and others.
  10. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I think there are more pressing issues like ToV raid launch, SK/Necro DoT revamp, focus AA, server merges, TLP server launch, and development of the next expansion.

The developers will weigh the feedback and there will be changes in one or two years. It's probably not economical to revamp ToV XP. It's not a bad system. Do people lose sleep over it? No. Could it be better? Sure.
    Celephane likes this.
  11. Laronk Augur

When I want to group, I get groups with other people.

You can level to 115 from 110 without doing quests (I did it on my warrior) You can also tank mobs dualweilding in group gear with no augs (type 5 or 7) in TOV. Yeah I'm a baddie the warrior is new.

I do like the quests giving experience though, It gives players good goals to do when they log on. They can look at the achievement window and see what they need (plus some future evolving item is going to need that you did the quests anyways). You can try to grind out experience or AA while you're working on forming these groups for the quests.

Now we really need to circle back to GMM, as we learned from GMM and now this you only like experience one way and you can get it that one way but there's other players that like experience in different ways too and would like to be rewarded for doing the content in the expansion. Just because YOU don't like the quest experience doesn't mean others don't like the model. Rather than attacking quest experience you could ask for higher ZEM and increased grinding experience if you feel that's not high enough. I don't understand your need to attack other play styles, not everyone wants to sit in one place and grind out levels.
    Duder likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Report the botters.

People will be cynical and claim GMs won't pursue/enforce reports. However, it's just as bad for people not to report (cynicism or the claim of non-enforcement benefits the botters).

ToV XP design actually spreads people out (become a sort of neighborhood watch) - as opposed to everyone finding a corner to grind - and, with enough reports/evidence, botters will get their day.
  13. Tappin Augur

I’m going to accuse anyone of anything, but I find hard to believe GMM was an accident. It’s my opinion, that GMM was to combat problems occurred from the botched TBL progression system.

TBL missions were used to clock block players from content. Similarly, ToV missions are used to clock block players from levels and ultimately gear. If the goal is to get people to do progression, why was the decision made to put large experience gains on missions, instead distributing the experience more uniformly across other facets of the progression system? That way if people are struggling with the missions they a legitimate alternative choice.
  14. Tappin Augur

The GMs do ban people who bot and stream, but so much with those who keep to themselves.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Grimfang New Member

Mind if I ask you for some advice? I’m about to start playing again, level 91 ranger. I got power leveled from 65 ( when I last played seriously ) to 91 and ended up not playing after and I’m kind of at a loss to what is going on now. Any advice for zones to level through or things I should look out for ? It will mostly be solo/molo by the looks of things
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

More talking in circles.
    Duder likes this.
  17. enclee Augur

Take a look at Miragul, you’ll start at 85 and the level cap is 100. It’s a great place to get reintroduced to the modern game.
    Yinla and code-zero like this.
  18. Tappin Augur

No circles at all - you like the change and attack anyone who has a valid complaint.
  19. Celephane Augur

When you were a child (assuming you aren't any more) did you ask for 4 hours straight "Are were there yet?", because you weren't there yet? You constantly complain about the same things over and over. Anyone that cares about the message has already seen it, the rest of us would like a break.
    Sokki likes this.
  20. Tappin Augur

I didn’t start this nonsense, someone else did. If you don’t like my post, hit the ignore button.