[FEEDBACK] Overseer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm finding Overseer quests are taking a lot longer than they used to to set up, so I'm trying to only log into Overseer once a day, but I'm finding this impossible.

It would be nice to have more than 2 or 3 24 hour quests in a rotation, so we can do all 5 for the same length of time rather than having to add in some 6 hours or 12 hours so as not have have empty slots and to keep the quest timers synchronized.

It would also be nice to be able to sort the quests available by time, so we don't have to check each and every quest to see its length.
    Petalonyx and swerves like this.
  2. Archery Lorekeeper

Hey Yinla, I see your point but I would be satisfied with our Devs fixing the issue of Lost Quests.
  3. kookoo Augur

lately i am looking for the 6 hours tasks, mostly , i added quite a lot agents with the critical success, and having a 6 hours task, we can do several per days , when i will get many agents i will check for specific tasks,

i was trying the collectibles task, at some point, but the failure rate is pretty high ..

i am looking for recruit quest when i see one .
  4. Metanis Bad Company

I'd just like to know which folks at DBG thought this Overseer thing was a good idea. And then which ones thought it was implemented appropriately.
  5. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The 24 hour quests are largely able to be ignored. As said above, just do 6 hour tasks a few times a day. Maybe choose 12 hours at bedtime for a larger gain. Just because a long task is there and has larger rewards doesn't mean you must do it. You're slowing things down doing that.

Just use some monthly station cash to auto complete a 24 hour quest you have the agents to complete 95% or better on. Same with 48 hour recruitment missions. Those will always be a nice boost.
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think what they really need to do is change the missions offered every rotation.

Currently if you level up a certain mission type you generally stop getting offered missions of a lower level and only get missions from your current level.

I would suggest they change it such that if you level up you keep getting level 1 missions in addition to the new level 2 missions, rather than seeing your level 1 missions replaced with level 2 missions.

If they make this change you could focus on the 24h missions and each cycle get a level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 missions from that type.
  7. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

One set of tradeskill mats (Ore + Skin) is ONLY offered on the 24h research quests, so if you are for some reason going after those specifically, you arent going to be skipping 24h quests.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

Unfortunately, there are no 6 hour quests for collectibles, which are the only type of quests I do because there's nothing else of use to me in Overseer. I have no desire to waste quest slots for rewards I have no use for.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But I don't want to do them quickly, I don't want to be logging in more than once a day just to set up overseer.

Patch this month is 13 hours, starting at 7am for me, I'm not getting up early just to set up overseer. If I could set it up the night before with 24 hour quests they would all be done when the server comes back up in the evening.
  10. Cicelee Augur

If I know I am not logging in for 24 hours due to work, sleep, errands, etc then I would think the 24 hour quests are worthwhile.

For me personally the only quests of worth are collectible quests. Regardless if they are 6 or 12 or 24 hours...
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Maybe it's because I'm pretty new to Overseer, but I see very few 24h missions. Maybe 1 or 2 at a time.
  12. Balthozzar Elder

As Yinla points out, being able to log in 3+ times a day to fully take advantage of 6h quests is not for everyone. Some way of sorting the quest options by default and/or making sure that some minimum number of each time frame show up would be welcome. (With the caveat that I don't know how the quests offered in each rotation are chosen currently.)

As great as it would be if the system could accommodate every player's preferred schedule, I think we can all take a step back and realize that it isn't a big deal if we aren't always logging in to 5 completed quests or if we had quests that finished 12 hours or more before we do log in. We don't need to min/max every single aspect of the game in order to have fun. (Or do we?. ;) )

And while collections are the biggest draw, for sure, I think that there is something for everyone. The options of what to buy using the currency could be expanded a bit, and the experience could be allowed to funnel into AA for those at max, or other enhancements to make those options more equal to the collectible choice, but to pretend that only the shinies are worthwhile at all is overstating things.

My last feedback and suggestion has to do with all the dropdown menus. I have a friend that is having a hard time with all the clicking (she has 4 accounts) that it takes to optimize the agents used in a quest. Any way of minimizing the time and number of clicks it takes to figure out how to get the highest success chance from your pool of agents would be great.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Overseer ABSOLUTELY needs a sorting mechanic on the quests to allow you to sort by quest type, duration, and rarity type...rather than just dumping them randomly.

And for the love of Quellious, can a dev PLEASE stop Overseer from automatically switching to the Active Quests tab every time we start a new quest? I don't need to see that I've started a new quest when I hit the "start quest" button every time!
  14. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Adding some feedback to this thread rather than starting a new one.

I would like it if a close look could be taken at the balance of rewards vs. risk and time, as I'm not convinced that everything is all good there. Particularly as you gain levels in a type of quest. Being higher level in Stealth, say, seems to mean that your agents will have higher chances of being incapacitated and for longer. Do the tetradrachm, character/merc xp, number of tradeskill items, or collection fragments go up as you level in a reasonable proportion to this increased risk? I would hope so, given that you have no option but to do the quests that match your current level. There has to be some benefit to being Level 4 in Stealth as compared to Level 1.

Also, do these rewards scale up with the time it takes to complete the missions in a roughly manner? Maybe you don't need Research quests (24hr) to give exactly 4 times the character xp as a 6hr Harvest quest, but is it enough more to balance the increased time and usually the greater number of agents needed?

Another thing is the Recovery quests. There are what, 5 or 6 different types of incapacitation? When you seem to have no more than a 50/50 chance of being offered a Recovery quest at all in a 12 hour rotation, the likelihood of being able to use the Recovery quest you are offered is slim. Some of the times that I have been offered a Recovery that matches an incapacitated agent, the Recovery quest would take longer than simply waiting for the rest of the incapacity to resolve on its own.

And I'll second Velisaris's request to have it not switch tabs when we hit "start quest".
    Shaantara likes this.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Long as they keep rolling out new ornamentations .. I'll be doing the overseer stuff..

With out the ornamentations .. is rather meh.. prolly wouldent touch it at all.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

@Olav

Agree on the recovery tasks. So far (I'm about 1 month in on using Overseer), I have yet to use a recovery task, since whenever I get them, I either have no incapacitated agents, or, if I do, the recovery task isn't really saving me any time. Especially since they take 6h, which, frankly, is ridiculous.

Another change I'd like to see is all time-frames available for all quest types. Why should all research be 24h, and all crafting be 6h? I'd like to see all types of quests offered for all time frames.
  17. Qbert Gallifreyan

You can do the recovery task, save the quest reward, then claim it when you have an agent to recover. Not ideal, given the task reward cap, but an option nonetheless. I do the tasks every time they are available, and then just save the reward for later.
  18. Balthozzar Elder

Really? I guess I didn't even consider that this was an option, given that I've always claimed the reward right away. What is the cap on saved rewards?

[Also Olav - I sometimes forget which account I had logged in with.]
  19. Nolrog Augur

That is exactly what I do and for the same reasons. Check for any recruit quests and then see if I can attempt them. Then I look for 6 hour tasks of any type, and start whatever I can. If there are any quest slots left, I'll do a 12 hour.

Then every couple days or so, I check the common conversation and trade up any duplicates I have, but keep one of each (there are a few that I keep two of because I tend to use them more often). Once the common conversation is done, I check to see what uncommon agent I got and check the uncommon agents to see if I have 3 duplicates to trade up for a rare. . . .
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Nolrog Augur

Maybe I'm getting different tasks but the recovery ones I see are 3 hours. I just did one right now in fact (got a critical success as well.)