(Serious) What can we do about the lag pile?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dre., Apr 8, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Honestly, if they could fix mouselook and autofollow, I'd be happy.
    Barraind likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Sounds like more of a coding problem. Having a low framerate cap will make the controls consistent. I know its not an optimal solution, but a lot of old game-engines were not coded with high framerates in mind...:(

Thats not really the lagpile's fault though, that is a problem with the game-engine.
  3. Zalamyr Augur

This drives me insane. Any server that has the lagpile in PoK is brutal. Everything will be normal then suddenly you're doing 180s non-stop.

And unrelated to the lag pile, but I also have an issue where sometimes the cursor doesn't reappear where it was clicked down after mouse looking or mouse turning, but instead appears where it would have been had I not been holding down the button. IE: Cursor is in the middle of the screen, mouse turn to the right, let go of right mouse button, cursor reappears so far to the right it's now on my second monitor. It's persisted through two different computers and two different mice.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Not really the case here. EQ played beautifully back in the day on my old 1st gen Athlon/GeForce rig at 800x600 I recall a very consistent 120Hz on a CRT, even with a screen full of players. It was a completely different experience and overall performed much better than it does today.

It has been a very interesting ride to see the game's performance degrade over time (in the same zones with the same hardware) Upgrading my PC every few years just to give back most of the performance that has been lost with game updates. I recall devs saying something about increases to the "global file" being a large part of what drives ever-increasing PC requirements.

But interestingly enough, your point about framecapping at 30 points out what I think is the main difference between perceptions on this issue - some of us want, need or even expect our games to run well with sufficient hardware, while others are apparently oblivious to poor graphics performance.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I love high frame-rates as much as you do. :cool: I was just wondering if there was a specific point of performance you can cap it at to prevent that mouse bug... I have several very old games that begins to act weird once the framerate exceeds a certain number.
    For example: quake1 physics starts acting weird past 72 fps, and quake3 jumping is highest at 333 fps.
    Maybe EQ has a similar problem at certain frame-rates and mouse-turning?
    or maybe newer windows implementations of mouse-acceleration confuses EQ? :confused:

EQ really needs a cleanup in the game-engine...:(

That said, EQ does render light very differently nowadays than back in 99, plus a lot of other visual improvements, that can explain the degrade in performance.
  6. Beardsy Elder

Yep. Avoid those area's like the plague. Get in - Get out. ASAP. I'm running a 9900k, 64gbs of ram, gtx 1080, 2x 2tb M.2's etc... Very good PC. Also running a Samsung Crg9 5120x1440p 120hz monitor. Game can run real, real rough at this resolution at times. On raids I turn off spell effects, /showname 1 etc... I also found that CPU affinity trick in your .ini file set the affinity to -1 I think it is? That tripled my average frame rate.
  7. Lannin Elder

Auto kick to character select after 2 hrs idle time would solve the lag pile problem. I seen folks logged in for weeks at a time. I shouldn't imo have to turn everything off just to travel though PoK. Might be good for the over all health of server and the game if there was some sort of timer to remove the forever afk.

This is a proven tool that's worked in WoW for years now , would be amazing if we got something like this.
    Dre. likes this.
  8. Herf Augur

Turn off Other PC names. Turn off other spell effects. That should noticeably help.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Trying to be helpful here.... are there keyboard commands to do this?

If so, two hotkeys... one to turn them off, one to turn them on. Problem solved?
  10. Buri Augur

/shownames will turn them off or on, you can just make a macro for that. I typically use /shownames 1, which shows first names only.
  11. Herf Augur

you can also go to your main toolbar which is usally top center of screen. Options -> Display and there are buttons there.
  12. seber Augur

make if your toon go AFK then they can be damg ????
  13. Dre. Altoholic

That's not exactly helpful. I'd prefer not to cripple my ability to play and interact with players in other parts of the game just because of (rant removed) the lag pile. In fact, if people are making sacrifices like this, it really highlights how big of a problem this is. Also, it doesn't change the framerate meaningfully. Like maybe it goes from 6 to 8.
    Lannin likes this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Holy crap dude. Don't LEAVE them turned off. Just turn em off while near the lag pile. Hotkeys, it's not exactly rocket science.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Herf like this.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, suggesting players shut off names and spells for +2 fps in one part of one zone in the game (even temporarily) or to suggest they create a set of hotkeys for it.

PS. For the "bury your head in the sand" crew - a better way to treat the symptoms without addressing the underlying issue is to hit F9+F10, or look at the ground and steer with the map.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Most of us experience a much larger fps gain with /shownames than you do. We are not suggesting it because we think you will gain +2 fps from it.

The rest of us also get better performance than you do, even in lagpiles. that is why most of us are not bothered by it.
    The only time I ever saw a single digit framerate, was when I had max spell-effects on for everything and tried to melee in a raid(not that I could see anything anyway :p ).

There is probably some bottleneck somewhere...
    just to troubleshoot: you are running at 1920*1200? and your gpu have hardware vertex shaders(not using some software fallback), correct? shadows off? anti-aliasing settings? enough free memory? etc?
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Tatanka like this.
  17. seber Augur

Just don't used POK move on
  18. Herf Augur

Nostalgia tip: do what we used to do in the old bazaar, just look down at the floor :)
    Tatanka likes this.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Some people just live to complain.
    Celephane and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For some reason, I also had to do that in FV, following the valley to LOIO (pre-bazaar days). Not sure what was the deal with that zone (FV), but it just squashed my rig like a bug!

Good times :)