[QOL Suggestion] Buff Auras

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Apr 9, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Introduce an AA which, when clicked, allows the caster to cast a group buff spell to create a 'Buff Aura'. This aura, which stays active for a certain amount of time, allows players to run through it to get their buffs. All the buffing classes cast their buff aura in a spot and people who need buffs simply run through it.

This could help ease the lag pile issues, as well as improve buffing classes' quality of life in groups and raids.
  2. RPoo Augur

They could increase the range to 500 that would be swell.
    Yinla and Lannin like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Aura's create an invisible npc which means they just add more load to the server.
    eepok likes this.
  4. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I think the main lag effect of Auras is that every time a PC/NPC (including swarm pets) moves, they are checked if they are in or out of the range of every aura in the zone, which also may be continually moving.

The Shaman Pact of the Wolf aura, with it's apparently unlimited range may be avoiding that, maybe all player auras should be made unlimited range to cut CPU cycles.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That may be the case but not sure how that would work for aura's that are not limited to group members.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'm not sure how this is better than Mass Group Buff or Tranquil Blessing. I also don't see why it is necessary when Tranquil Blessing works great . . . except for the synchronization issue where your client says it is in out of combat mode but Tranquil Blessing says you are not.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Auras would negate the need to recast for a period of time. Think of it like the AE heal auras priests can place anywhere. Place a buff aura down and move on.
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Dark Age of Camelot still lives!
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Those heal auras don't last that long so you would end up recasting the aura instead of just recasting the buff.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Obviously the timer would be adjusted. :confused:
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think they would want long lasting aura's up in zones all that random players can run through to get buffs. They do intend for buffs to be recast from time to time otherwise they would just make them permanent as they intend for them to be recast from time to time especially after a death as they can make buffs last through death as well.

If you really want to reduce the buffing strain I would ask fro them to last longer first.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would actually be okay with making buffs permanent until death.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As I am sure a large portion of the player base would be, the devs however don't seem to be okay with that as they have extended buff duration but not made the permanent.