(Serious) What can we do about the lag pile?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dre., Apr 8, 2020.

1. Dre. Altoholic

1. Disable AE buffs (maybe in all non-instance, non-combat zones)
    2. Automatically start camp-out when more than X players exist in Y radius
    3. Automated buff NPC
    4. Add your ideas here!

[IMG]
  2. Dre. Altoholic

Bolded the O in "Massively Multiplayer Online".

It's arguable at best to suggest the players in the picture above are indeed "Online"
  3. Lubianx Augur

I see you have hide AFK on, you could also not have full names running (/showname 1 maybe)
    This may help
    Vexana_Lanys likes this.
  4. svann Augur

from yesterdays test server patch notes:
    - Added options to hide all players, pets, or mercenaries, even if they are not AFK. Group and raid marked targets will not be hidden.

This should go to live on the 15th.
    eepok and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

[IMG]
    Vexana_Lanys likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hiding pets will be awesome, hopefully applies to swarm pets too.
    Xeladom and Jhenna_BB like this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

/showname actually affects performance a lot on slower systems.
  8. Beardsy Elder

Don't go to said area?

^^ This is going to be absolutely - AMAZING - For raids. Hiding pets is going to change the damn game for targeting. it's about time they do this!
  9. Shanarias Augur

In my experience, the "lag pile" comes and goes, whether it is in the GL, outside the GL, or behind the bank. I don't get much lag there, and I don't hang out there that much. I go where the exp and the good drops are for my level, and it isn't in the "pile". I sort of resent people telling others how we MUST get rid of something people actually enjoy in the game, however. So for the OP, maybe lighten up a little, eh? :)
    Tatanka and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

My experience with hidden players with the AFK option is you can still target the player with a mouse click. So if that's what you mean by changing the game on targeting, you might be disappointed :/
  11. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

A hide players button like the hide afk traders button in the bazaar, regardless if they are afk or not.
    Nadisia likes this.
  12. Nadisia Augur

This.
    With toggles like corpse toggle: /hide allbutme, allbutgroup, allbutraid, etc

Oh, and while we're at it, a dynamic toggle for stick figures :p
  13. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Well, with patch notes as they are, you'll be able to make your own with the /hidemodels command.
  14. Duder Augur

There is an option in the options menu to click through players, pets, something else? I think there are 3 options, I forget what they are.
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Mercenaries. :)
    Duder likes this.
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The best thing the devs could do to remove the lag pile is get ride of the ability to not tick down buffs in PoK and the Lobby and place NPC like the one in the Mines of Gloomingdeep that cast buffs. Make an NPC for each buffing class, hail them and receive all buffs. Then we can tradeskill in peace in PoK and the rest of you can go clutter your guildhalls. Go away! :)
  17. Dre. Altoholic

That means don't do any of these:
    • Druid/Wizard port-in
    • Throne of Heroes to PoK
    • Guild Lobby/Hall
    • Teek brothers
    • South bank
    • Tradeskill Merchants
    • Rogue poison vendor
    • PoK Parcel merch
    Nobody in that image is "enjoying" anything, unless it's whatever else they're doing outside of the game while disrupting the zone for people who are actually trying to play.
    I've got a 144Hz monitor and run capped framerates in many zones. But anywhere near this monstrousity results in single-digit framerates.
    Koryu likes this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Then I don't think the "lag pile" per se is the issue. I have a positively dreadful system, and I don't notice much of a difference with frame rate or lag running through our lag pile.

No idea which particular settings cause this, but it's interesting that only certain people suffer from this, with rigs from great to terrible, while many others, with rigs from great to terrible, don't see it.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have my framerate capped at 30, as my GPU is kinda old. I have also disabled heroes forge for other players as well as spell effects(and /shownames 1) and shadows off.
    While i can feel the jerky framerate too, it doesn't affect me much as it rarely goes below 20'ish even in the most extreme cases. A variance of less than 10 fps doesn't really feel that awkward.

The framerate is pretty consistent even on raids(once all players are cached), at least there is nothing in pok(or lobby) that can kill you, while you run through the pile. :)

The true stress-test for my system is our ridiculously overdecorated guildhall, while gathering for raid(it looks awesome, but the GPU temperature increases by 25 degrees in there). :p
  20. Dre. Altoholic

There is an odd interaction with framerate and mouse movement in EQ. If you have high framerates you need to turn up your sensitivity pretty high in order to be able to turn with the mouse. The result of this is when lower framerates are experienced, mouselook is uncontrollably jittery.
    Barraind likes this.