Coarse Salt

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Borm_of_fv, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Borm_of_fv Apprentice

By all that’s good and holy, increase the forage rate for this. It’s required for current top end food and my best forager-111 and max forage AA gets maybe - maybe - 2 an hour. I’m going to get covid because my forage mashing finger is broken and I need to go to the ER to get it reset. I’m ok with the horrible grind for experience in ToV and the relentlessly boring kill demands to evolve the TS items, but please just give me some freakin’ salt.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

25 for sale on BB in the bazaar. 50 k per. I need to break out the ranger and get rich. :)
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Recipes in a current expansion that call for ingredients from past expansions should have those things available in the current content in my opinion.

Forcing players to go back to old content that offers them zero benefits in any other way than the materials they need for current era recipes is not a good player experience, especially if it is just for a foraged item, this is why so many players will create a "forage character" & leave it parked in a zone to forage items while they play their main elsewhere, all that does is create unnecessary additional load on the server when we already have too many things doing that.

I have no problem going back to old zones for worthwhile reasons, foraging old trade skill items by itself is simply not a worthwhile reason, either build ways into the game to make going back rewarding in some much more tangible way or just add the things to the current expansion zones forage tables or mob loot tables as applicable. Reusing ingredients I have no problem with but the implementation can't be this lazy.
    Andarriel, Nolrog, Yendar and 4 others like this.
  4. Nadisia Augur

Exactly.
    And same issue for misty acorn.

The fun part is, while we don't have any other way to get these items other than foraging mindlessly in DoN or old original zones, when we forage in ToV zones, our bags are clogged up by nearly useless items like ... Small Chunk of Velium :p
    And this stuff do not stack ...

So after the gold nuggets in EoK zones, we have to deal with that.

So please, give us a way to filter foraged items and/or a black/white list for /autoinventory.

[IMG]
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. smash Augur

You cannot expect the ingredients to be from present expansion.
    So live with that you have to go back to older expansion.
  6. Duder Augur

Why shouldn't we expect current tradeskill materials to drop/be acquired from current zones? Should we expect to farm DoN to make new TS armor and weapons? Please explain.
    Andarriel, Swiss, Gabrieles and 4 others like this.
  7. Annastasya Augur

Goblins in Dragons of Norrath zones drop this uncommonly. Rather than *just* bot-foraging, go kill everything in Temple and Aisles and Dojo while also foraging. Bonus : Goblincide is fun!
    edit- *Isles*
  8. Aanuvane Augur

I was just about to say the same thing - go run DoN missons - it drops from creatures in those as well. Forage while you slaughter and you might also be lucky enough to score things like Drake Wing Bones, Drake-Spikes, Nest Drake Egg, etc. that are needed by folks who are working through getting to 350 in tradeskills.
    Kase and CatsPaws like this.
  9. Bidaum_TR Lorekeeper

DoN Forages have always been a pain; what's annoying is that coarse salt (aka as kosher salt in the real world of baking) can be manufactured. See wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_salt

Everquest is not without precedent when it comes to using Tinkered items to process ingredients: the Dihydrous Oxide Glaciator and the Geerlok Laminating Device are examples.
    Rock Salt can already be refined into Fine Salt (which is just non-iodized table salt) Via research skill. Coarse Salt is a smaller grain of Rock Salt but not as small as Fine Salt; hence a Tinkered item to process it should work.

However, all this gets thrown out the window when you get to the next roadblock - Natural Spices - which appears to be non-ToV Global drop: and you are back to mindless killing for drops of it. Vendor bought Spices are obviously refined versions of some raw Natural Spices, so one cannot reverse process it. Perhaps a recipe could be made to use some vendor bought things and all the defunct alchemy "weeds" from DoN forages to make Natural Spices? Or we could make it a drop from some giant desert worms.....
  10. smash Augur

The good thing about returning to old zones for ingredients is that it actually open a sellers markeds for old expansion ingredients.
    Annastasya likes this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

If only they had recently added a mini-game that awards tradeskill materials from previous expansions. Then they could simply add DoN as one of those expanions and award the metric freakton of tradeskill drops everytime you run a stupid quest.

If only something like that existed in game...:rolleyes:
    Tatanka, Lannin, Annastasya and 2 others like this.
  12. divirgmar Lorekeeper

I made 5 of each of the new foods when the recipes were known some months ago. Returning player for 2 years after 10 year hiatus. I have eaten one of each since then, and that was from some odd chance of being still in GH overnight. Otherwise these 5, now 4 are lasting me and will for the foreseeable future. Old school cool. Everytime I step back I snack on the second line of food items. Now that TBL and EOK stuff is cheap sometimes I use that as my garbage food on the second row. Thats enough hints for now. New food stats forever!
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Great idea, but it has to turn your characters eyes the right shade of bright blue.
  14. Duder Augur

Keybinding food is absolutely the way to conserve it. And possibly how Ngreth bases his design of ingredient acquisition. I myself do not like the keybound food. I have tried keybinding trash food/drink to movement in two different ways. From a hotbar and keybound socials from a hotbar. After about a week I changed it back because I could discern keypress lag on other keyboard bound hotkeys when I had food/drink bound to movement. So my characters eat it the default way to preserve optimal playability. I would like to see stat food/drink slots where you can place 1 of each into those slots and it will never be consumed.
    Lannin and Bigstomp like this.
  15. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I'm almost positive Natural Spices can drop in ToV. I need to check my logs again to be certain, but I believe like Fine Feathers they can drop from anything.

I passionately hate Fine Feathers, though. They are used in all of 7 completely useless and deprecated recipes, all of which are taught via books and useless even for Artisan's Prize. Why they are still dropping in ToV, and stuff like Lime and Coarse Salt aren't is beyond me.

As an aside, Lime (used in the drinks) are fairly common forages in Barren Coast. I wasted a lot of time in DoN trying to get those.

But why are Fine Feathers on the global loot table? Just... why?
  16. Jordis Augur

The problem with this particular item is that it's from Dungeons of Norrath, and it's very rare, selling on Emarr for 5-10 K in the bazaar and by bot farmers who have 500 of them. It's ridiculous with 71 basic baking recipes from that expansion on up to and including the stat food from ToV. At least add the expansion to the Overseer loot and include 1 or two coarse salt which are a lot harder to get than relic fragments, Alaris items, RoS and even TBL drops.
    Borm_of_fv and Duder like this.
  17. Yendar Augur

Trade skill items are like power sources. You should never have to go back to an old expansion to sit, farm, forage, or fish for a large quantity of them. If it’s a couple items for a quest, fine... but not for our everyday use TS items. They should use items that can be dropped, foraged, or purchased in the new expansion or from regular TS merchants.

Forcing the player pool to spend hours on end in old zones isn’t the idea.. players should have to kill current mobs.
    Andarriel, Swiss, Borm_of_fv and 3 others like this.
  18. Jordis Augur

I agree, and it's surprising, and encouraging, that they did increase availability for Ice of Velious. Hopefully, Coarse Salt will get the same treatment.
    Andarriel, Swiss and Duder like this.
  19. Fuelforfire Lorekeeper

Yay for the dev team making Coarse Salt purchasable on vendor with CoV EQTC - Item: Coarse Salt (eqtraders.com). Now, let's have the same for those pesky limes!
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's really awesome.
    And I say that having foraged over 1000 of them already in preparation for ToV :)
    Andarriel likes this.