Any plans to address some older issues?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Necromaster, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Necromaster New Member

Some of these may have been fixed and I haven't seen them in patch notes or played through them since they were current.

1. Bring loot from older missions like house of thule etc... in line with current missions. I don't mean ToV loot in HoT missions I mean ToV chests seem to drop like 6-10 items while older content drops 2-3 pieces. It's odd that the players who need the gear the most have the least access to gear. You should also consider tuning loot in older content so generate less waste but fix the quantity first and see how that goes.

2. I believe some of the missions in VoA randomly don't allow mercs. The same way one of the GMM missions didn't allow mercs except VoA never got fixed. Specifically these would be the two group missions in the starting zone Argath.

3. What happens to experience when a player is completely maxed? Why can I not funnel it from that character to players (who are within level limitations) in my fellowship?

4. Why does experience sharing in a fellowship share so awkwardly? Bonuses don't seem to translate across the fellowship. In other words if two of my characters have a bonus and 3 characters are sharing. The third character isn't shared and ends up falling far behind in levels. As an example I started a group and fellowship shared them from level 1. With each one being in on every aspect of experience the entire time they ended their journey at 14,11,20 when the 11 got no experience in the group anymore. It seems odd that characters equally sharing experience should so grossly out level each other.

I tried to focus on issues for leveling players so they aren't stuck in dead content begging for power leveling. They would have a bit more autonomy while still being encouraged to group to reap the rewards of improved mission loot. There are issues with the way current content is handled but that isn't as much of a barrier as the old content is.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I can't say that I saw any problem with the quantity of loot in HoT, the nameds popped way more often than in expansion prior to that & I felt it was by far the most group friendly expansion up to that point.

Veil of Alaris was quite a swing in the opposite direction though, the nameds in VoA had an absolutely huge amount of hitpoints versus regular mobs and some funky/nasty effects on top of that, the nameds also were on a much lower frequency of spawning than House of Thule, even if you kept every PH down, getting group geared in VoA is a much bigger challenge than it was in HoT.

Expansions after VoA up to CoTF don't seem to be quite as bad from what I have seen, the named's don't have ridiculously larger hitpoints than base pop, they still have some funky gimmicks & the spawn rate while not as high as HoT is nowhere as low as VoA, the group currency in CoTF made it really good for group level gearing.

I only saw one Group mission that didn't allow mercs on Phinigel, Reclaiming Argath, that was quite a pain to 3 box, Illdarea's Vengeance did allow Mercs.

Nothing happens to excess XP you lose it, you do however make better use of that lost XP if you are sharing with your fellowship while you are capped as there will still be vitality generated & while capped this comes at no XP cost to yourself - it is for that reason I personally only share XP with my fellowship once I am maxed out on both level XP & AAXP.

The Fellowship system originally did funnel actual experience from sharing players to fellowship players but it was changed to the Vitality system as the old system meant those fellowship players earning xp would never even need to log in to level up, the Vitality system was better as it still requires players to log in & play to get the effect of the boost upon the XP they earn while playing, this was felt to be more in line with the stated aims of the fellowship system in helping players to remain within range of their fellowship friends without allowing them to never need to play, this answers both parts of your question.

I am not quite sure what you mean, the vitality shared across them should have been the same, the only differences would have been in the rate that they then earned experience once they were played to benefit from the boost vitality gives.

Was this observed while the racial & class bonus XP was still in effect or was it after those bonuses were removed?

Only thing I can see is that some players expect to be able to complete content designed for groups at the same level as that content while only playing 1 character plus one merc, they will be disappointed as the game isn't built for that. IF players want to beat group content or indeed raid content with one character they will need to be significantly over the level that content was built for.

Open world content is usually much more viable in that you can usually tackle green, light blue & sometimes dark blue con mobs while playing one character with a merc.

The above points are why one of the big objections I have to the ToV XP model is that if you lock too big a percentage of the XP away in content designed for groups you then make it a great deal harder for players who are a few expansions behind the curve to level up in a reasonable time rate on that expansions content once they reach it, this practically forces a casual player to request Power-levelling by their friends or guildmembers - through content those other players may be sick to death of - and I think makes levelling up while moloing by yourself a hugely onerous chore, this will ultimately end up losing EQ what few casual players remain. Open world levelling in reasonable timeframes has been gradually eroded, it's like the devs stopped considering or caring about anyone not at the level cap after a certain point, and the players option to level in open world content if they choose not to do the quests is being gradually taken away by making it so absolutely ridiculously slow to do that it isn't worth the time to do it, removing that ability to choose where/how to xp is I feel a detriment to EverQuest as an experienced hobby.
    MysticOne likes this.
  3. Derka Power Ranger

At first glance the 20 was past the gap to give exp to the level 11. If that is true then I didn't know that was the case with fellowship. Interesting.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Players do have to be within xp level range of the player who is sharing their xp in order to gain vitality from them.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Necromaster New Member

The case of the characters leveling is I had planned to play all three characters and level at the same rate. So I wanted to see if for example a character using lesson of the devoted would share that lesson with their fellowship. They should. If I am sharing experience with my fellowship especially if we are all in the same group we should all get equal amounts of experience. That way one of us doesn't get left massively in the dust. But for whatever reason it doesn't share bonus experience at all.
  6. Necromaster New Member

The named are easy to kill. What I am talking about is doing missions. In older missions you only get 1-2 items. I believe in ToV I have been averaging around 6-10 items. All of which can be collected and sold or distributed to alts. I just find it strange that the players leveling who need the gear to level are significantly more hindered than players at the top end of the curve who not only have more access to gear but have nothing else to do but grind gear. So what i'm saying is either drop a ton of gear in older missions on par with the quantity in tov. Or drop currency so players can do the missions and then buy some kind of loot which would also remove players who are unlucky from getting like 10 wristbands everytime they run missions.

This was back in VoA, I was completely maxed on AA and looking to start a new group but the awkward sharing of loot made it so I had to keep taking my enchanter out of the group and catch up to it and then bring it back in. But you don't share exp at the cap. If you are at 100% normal and capped on AA you gain no experience for the kills so you share no experience.

I deliberately avoided talking about current content because I didnt want to get into a discussion about how current group content (content when it is current not just tov) is designed specifically for raiders and not for actual group level players. And I understand this its why raid gear skips all tiers of group content so they dont have to re-grind gear or anything. But you cant call something a group mission or make it content that you are supposed to do while leveling if it A) can't be done while leveling by non raid players or B) can't be done in group level gear. But has been true for a long time and isn't going to change. So all im trying to do is change the leveling grind so players don't get stuck in a hole waiting on gear drops which seems to cause all of them to hit 85 and just beg for power leveling non stop. It's also to avoid the sheer stupidity of killing mobs with 18 million hp who give you 0.03% exp per kill solo.
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I don't think you are doing this correctly...

If you are leveling x number of toons and all toons are in game, you should turn xp sharing off. That way all xp goes to each toon and each toon gets whatever bonus (in game, lessons or xp potion) that it has available. This will always be the fastest leveling for toons.

The Fellowship xp vitality is to help toons that are in the fellowship but not in game. There is no one-to-one xp taken away/given to correspondence with the system. And I am pretty sure that any self xp buffs (lessons or potions) do nothing for xp is taken (I do think global bonuses might apply, but I haven't done any real solid tests).

There are conversion losses in the system so if you started 3 toons without sharing and 3 with and proceeded to kill the same things, the toons without sharing would have more xp.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That is not what I have seen, I had sharing XP on just my main character & all of the offline sharing characters in my fellowship were gaining Vitality, only once they had maxed vitality did they stop gaining any more.

So I think a max xp & max aa character does earn xp & therefore give vitality to the fellowship it just can't be put into any of the xp bars as they are full so it is then lost, but it still calculates for vitality given, in fact that is how I have been using fellowship for the past few years, I only turn sharing on with my main once maxed.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Necromaster New Member

I'm not sure how you are viewing maxed. Just to be sure, when I say maxed I mean not max level 100% in and have all your AA. I mean max level 100% obviously but then letting your AA sit at the cap. This causes your character to gain no exp since the exp has no where to go which then causes you to not share any experience. It's one of the reasons I stop playing everytime I finish my AA I just dont like to place AA in the temp AA just to keep grinding.
  10. Necromaster New Member

But let's say im playing with 2 friends. And we start leveling but since gear isnt very important at low levels we try to push to about mid range around 50 so we start getting AA. Start getting into some of the harder hitting content so we can have fun. Well were all in a group so we can play together and help each other. Were all sharing because that should equalize the exp we get since sharing that doesnt share has literally no purpose. But if I pop lesson of the devoted for the xp boost, that should share my bonus with my friends so we continue to level at the same rate. The idea being that im the veteran player and they don't have lessons so ill share mine with them. But it doesn't work like that. The exp pre bonus is shared and then I get my bonus. Which actually makes leveling with your friends much worse than just encouraging them to play a different game and telling them you'll go play something else with them when you are done leveling.
  11. Necromaster New Member

The was just supposed to be a suggestion for errors I think the game has. Specifically regarding barriers in the very low end game (85+) that I think should be improved to help revive older content by removing some of the worry from that level of play like grinding gear so you are actual useful and can continue leveling. But it is being pretty well misunderstood so I am going to let it sit and hopefully the devs have a look and a consideration of it. I am going to finish grinding out my ranger's last level and go back to FFXIV again. Sorry for the trouble.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

When I say maxed I mean fully maxed out on everything, all AA spent, banked AA capped & level xp maxed out at 99.999%
    And in that state I was most definitely generating vitality to the other characters in my Fellowship as I was the ONLY character sharing to them that they could have possibly gotten it from & got it they most definitely did.
  13. MysticOne Augur

If your on a paid account do AA xp only. Pretty simple.
    Yinla likes this.