Wizards

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SonOfABiscuit, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Szilent Augur

The familiar doesn't try to increase duration. The duration doesn't need increasing. It's that the focus effect of Improved Familiar excludes spells with any duration, so that it doesn't focus the damage of rains at all in the way a ol' regular DD is. This is bad for rains, obviously, but bad for wizards more generally in that (in many instances. this is just one.) the nuking options aren't comparable based on their spell data - they have different extrinsics. Rain spell says "18819 damage, 3 times" that reads higher than "32860 damage", but it ain't, because of the differences in how focuses apply.
  2. Derka Power Ranger

Aren't rains instant or else the "duration" would be focused by gear? Also isn't the limited factor Single target and rains are Target AE? I am no wizard but enjoy learning about them.
  3. Szilent Augur

Fair observation. The "AE Duration" data may be different than the plain "Duration", but if that's the case then the limiter is even more functionless fluff that can go away.
  4. Sancus Augur

No, they don't. They have an AE Duration, but that doesn't fail the Max Duration check on Improved Familiar. For example, Thaumaturge's Focus, which has: "12: Limit Max Duration: 0s" focuses Rain of Knives (which has an AE duration of 7.5 seconds):

[Thu Mar 26 20:25:39 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Dena for 42791 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    [Thu Mar 26 20:25:39 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Azia for 42791 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    [Thu Mar 26 20:25:42 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Dena for 42791 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    [Thu Mar 26 20:25:42 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Azia for 42791 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.

+ Thaumaturge's Focus:

[Thu Mar 26 20:28:15 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Dena for 65843 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    [Thu Mar 26 20:28:15 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Azia for 68866 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    [Thu Mar 26 20:28:18 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Dena for 66977 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    [Thu Mar 26 20:28:18 2020] You hit Combat Dummy Azia for 68110 points of magic damage by Rain of Scimitars Rk. II.
    Kuvani, yepmetoo, Szilent and 3 others like this.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

6. Mookus Augur

I never really thought about the fact that devs can’t make melee crit more than 100% innately, and that our double standard in this area can’t get that much worse.

Wiz non crit nukes are so relatively weak is the problem imo. Averaging our non crit garbage time around spikes of adps & perfect aa timing bursts sucks when we don’t have ideal circumstances. The garbage time is just too bad. We either need non Frits to not be so bad, or we need to crit more by either passive critrate, or another crit ability to keep us going outside perfect raid adps.

I have awesome non-crit streaks in groups regularly, it’s great. Nothing like having all my crap on cool down and not criting for a good stretch. I just tell the group mates that I’ll kick the next guys so fast when my aa refreshes that my meh will be worth it later.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's one of those things that appears more pronounced in the group game due to it being the difference between a lot of short fights vs a few long fights (raids).

In a raid, you usually have time to fully utilize your burns, and for crits and non-crits to average out more favorably.

In a group, NPCs tend to die relatively fast (30-60s) so if you get 2-3 non-crits in a row there isn't time to average it out. You have to do a combined for many mobs to get a semblance of the average, but even then there is still a difference between one long unbroken fight and many small fights combined.

Generally speaking you also can't fully utilize your burn unless you have a group solid enough to pull multiple mobs so you don't have to waste time waiting on a pull.
  8. Dewey Augur

Be careful on what you wish for. Last class they tried to fix they couldn't, and they made the entire expansion undead.
  9. FubarEQ Journeyman

Hopefully a Dev can chime in. There's lots of good ideas in here to balance wizards, particularly Destructive Adept and Improved Familiar. I really like the idea of increasing our focus benefits in these areas to help more with sustained damage without affecting burns so much.

I do think some help on burns is needed too however. It's tough being consistently being lower on the parse than Druids and Mages (that are played well). Wizards essentially have no utility outside of DPS. We should be consistently at the top with melee DPS. At this point we're mediocre at best through most events. In groups most things die too fast for us to get off more than 2-3 nukes. If they don't crit, we're not contributing much.
  10. SonOfABiscuit Augur

Bump!
    FubarEQ likes this.