A Windchill Sprite (or lack of)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tannin Steelblade, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Tannin Steelblade Journeyman

Been working on the Mercenary quest in Great Divide, Kill Snow Dervishes. I have been told that the Dwarf Miners in the South East part of the zone are the poor sods that need to be removed for them to appear. After spending a few groups there for many hours I have come of the opinion that the spawn rate for these buggers is quite bad.

I realize one just needs to buckle down and put in the time but something seems that, for a mere mercenary quest, this one seems a bit epic to complete. Could there be other mobs that are used to spawn these guys? If not could someone please take a gander at the spawn cycle of the "a windchill sprite" and see if its right?

Thanks guys.
  2. Windance Augur

I can confirm that they spawn in the south east caves in GD. I set up camp in the north east most cave in the cluster and cleared the room and the hallway leading to the last room. Each clear we would get 0-2 dervishes. Total quest took maybe 2 hrs.
    Jhenna_BB and eepok like this.
  3. blood & gufts Augur

Should move them out of the caves again.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. feeltheburn Augur

nw corner cadavers spawn them....least thats what I did when I did my task.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It has changed since then.

Seems to change every month, the best was as it was when the server launched.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

in my experience, next to last room in the caves I was getting 1-2 spawns per cycle. I hated every last second of the camp, but it wasn't unreasonable.
  7. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

We did this last week and got all the sprites we needed for a new guild member. Maybe 90 minutes of hard pulling all the miners we could find and we got it done. They aren't common but they aren't rare.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Zelfani New Member

I have been camping this off and on for weeks now. I got them in January when they were off the undead but now the miners seem extremely stingy. Guildies have also camped this consistently for hours with extremely few results. Seems like anyone who didn't get this done before the change is hmm out of luck and doomed to an extensive camp. It is a kill task. Make it so.
    eepok likes this.
  9. Nylrem Augur

Since they do see invis, I don't disagree with them not spawning very frequently in the caves. Getting to the back, if they were very common, could be a real pain.

However, making them spawn so rare, and having to kill so many, does make for a long camp for this mercenary task.

Reduce the number needed, to like 2. Should make the task much quicker, and still not spawn too many see invis mobs if trying to make way to back of coldain caves.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

I only just completed this quest and was one of the last I finished for ToV. My experience was around a 1 in 30 or 1 in 40 spawn rate. I only run logs during raids, so I can’t be sure.

I was able to complete the other merc tasks with a 2-box + mercs, this one required a couple genuine humans to help keep a camp down with chain pulls inside the caves. It seems way out of balance with the difficulty of the other Great Divide quests.
  11. Greymantle Augur

Pretty sure they moved these mobs to the burnt woods zone , trying to cut down on lag and overcamping.
    Goburs, Yinla and StreamingEQ like this.
  12. Jondalar Augur

I've killed 100s of mobs in the last room where the named also spawns and never seen one.
  13. Derka Power Ranger

I just did this quest over the last 2 days for an alt. Got 5 last night in an hour then the last 4 this morning in about the same time.
  14. Tannin Steelblade Journeyman

Been at the quest for about 4 days total. Usually 4 to 5 hours a crack in the wee hours of the am .. tried different spots in the caves. I have seen 1 in all this time. Killing pretty frequent and the only place i seen one was at the right of the entrance to the cave where one of the miners spawns. I have seen them in the cave with another group about a week ago but for the last few days only seen 1. Maybe they are prime time critters.. oh.. and from a lore stand point.. there is no wind inside the cave.. its windchill.. have to have a breeze!! Just a thought.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Derka Power Ranger

I got mine in the first room on the left as you go down the entrance, and then throughout the tunnel down to the 3red or northern most room that has 10 or so spawns in it. We just kept the room down and killed as repop. Got lucky as 1 spawned and then a 2nd spawned immediately next to it after to finish the quest. Seems very RNG dependent
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

The ones I've seen (because they womp on me as I run past them) have been in that far room at the back, if that makes sense, not the last room. Enter the cave tunnels and go straight until you come to a room where the only way out is to make a turn and exit the opposite end. That room, not the named room, is where I've run into them.
  17. Aamonn_Erollisi New Member

You were EXTREMELY lucky if you were getting 1-2 spawns per cycle. Like buy a lottery ticket today kind of lucky.
  18. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

/shrug. it's been pretty consistent in that spot every time I've been there... between the 10 or so that's in the room and the 4 or 5 in the halls, so 1 in 15ish on average probably? in this thread i'm not the only one saying that.
  19. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

seems like the bluecon dwarves are the only ones that I've ever seen respawn as these. the last room has all 115lvl dorfs.
    Jondalar likes this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am doing the GD Merc task on an alt. It totally sucks to have Windchills in the Dwarf caves as you need double invis. It's a rare spawn so you have to worry about people sniping your dervishes.