Magician Fire Elemental Pets, Can We Get An Update?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Bardan Masquerader, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Bardan Masquerader Journeyman

I'm really trying to understand the development of the Fire Pets for Magicians. I've mained a Magician since 2002 and the fire pet has evolved since then. I notice it doesn't root/snare anymore, and it's casting frequency is just putrid. I'm talking about the level 113 pet in particular. I tested it tonight in GD in a pretty gnarly group so it was a good time to do it. With EMXV and geared up (so pet is 113 as well), it was casting a top end of just above 90Kish. Not bad, right? But its casting frequency was once every 10 or 15 seconds on average, and sometimes even once every 27 seconds.

Besides just saying the Fire Elemental Pets suck, let me ask this question. Why do we even get them? I haven't really used them since PoP was released, is there something I'm missing to them? Besides our Magician Lore, they are worthless unless they get updated by the Devs in some sort of patch to make them relevant DPS.

So I guess that's what I'm here for. Wishing for the Devs to update the Fire Elemental Pets to become a relevant part of the Magician arsenal again, and contribute something better than they are to group DPS when used. Thanks if you read all the way through! - Vento Commandante of Bertoxxulous.
    Renotaki and Sancus like this.
  2. Renotaki Elder

I'm a firm believer that all mage pets should have fairly common situational use, and it seems like mage fire pet is the worst off one right now in that regards as you point out. I think suggestions have been have been thrown around in previous years about what can be done with the pets.

What about making fire pets better DPS in no to mid ADPS situations compared to water pets? At least then they could replace water pets when full support isn't there.
    Bardan Masquerader likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

Add MAG/113, ENC/113, WIZ/113 to Fire Elemental Bolt XIII, to aid triggering Covenants.
    While we're making smart changes, air pet: both Mnk and Ber class to pick up & deliver Covenant procs for those, make the air elemental's own procs a poison type for Rog.

Water pet stays highest self-dps choice.
    Earth pet keeps its mountain(heh) of hp.
  4. minimind The Village Idiot

I like the idea of a mage pet picking up berserker alliance. I'm almost never in a group with a mage, but I think it would be great to have the chance to trigger an alliance completion at some point in my EQ experience.
  5. Bardan Masquerader Journeyman

I really like the idea of mage/necro/bst pets being included in alliance effects. I don't know why that wasn't included in the first place. Alliance is essentially raid only at this point in time, deeming it mostly worthless to the average player.
    eepok likes this.
  6. Szilent Augur

They're that way from the beginning, totally by design. And wouldn't change much if pets participated since pets cast substantially less than competent players. My intent is that it might shift Alliances from "only if you have two competent partners" to "if you have one real hotshot of a partner, pet will fill in a little"
  7. Adonhiram Augur

Hello fellow mages, I came back recently to TLP Ragefire (right now in SoF era) server and noticed Frenzied Burnout does not focus the fire pet's bolt anymore whereas it used to do it before I left in OoW era. Is that intended ? Is it the same in the newer expansions ?