When did this change, and why?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by xmPradah, Mar 24, 2020.

1. xmPradah Not a dude

I was told a while back players can no longer use the grave accent in their surnames (or any punctuation for that matter, I think?).

Does anyone know why this changed?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am sure if you search the forums you will find tons of posts on this issue and many conflicting stories on why it changed.

The most recent patch from March 3 2020 does now allow characters -
    - The surname command now allows the use of a second capital letter and a single accent character.

This may explain it if you read the entire posts - apparently it has to do with programing.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...character-used-in-place-of-apostrophe.263183/
  3. niente Developer

Originally players could petition to get a 2nd capital or special character in their surname.

I think the CS policy for this later changed to "no" because of lack of support (less GMs).

The March 2020 patch added the option to add one accent and a second capital to /surname (for players).
  4. Imukai Augur

Back in the day, changing surnames was a Senior+ Guide ability to fix violations of the naming policy or grant requests such as adding accents and 2nd capitals for roleplaying purposes.

The Guide program was gutted when Sony sold to DBG and all customer support functions were basically removed (quest functions remained). The reduced GM staff found it easier to cut/paste a "sorry, we don't do this anymore" response in petitions than log in and type a /command.

That it was added into the /surname command that players can use was a big (pleasant) surprise. If only it allowed surnames less than 4 letters long now.
    Fanra likes this.
  5. xmPradah Not a dude

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I haven't played much this month and didn't really read the patch notes. I'm happy to see this has changed!