Because of the real word situations with 'time off work'...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

A lot of players are going to populate the game due to all the shut down and closures of real life from this bad ' virus ' we have going around.

A lot of things are on hold. Government has stated soft quarantine and told elderly to stay home. Government has eased off on negative impact consequences on bills etc.

21 anniversary offers heroic credit to those that pay, but after that month expires, will the game offer players a free month of play to do their part of 'helping their people', the gamer?
  2. Windance Augur

He's asking if DB will give everyone +30 days gold status due to the outbreak.

Now that I think about it.

It might not be a bad idea to mass email to players as a promotional gimmick. Come back to norrath! We'll give you some free play time. Combine that with the free heroic and we might see some more returning players.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

But no one knows their old emails.o_O
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

As a promotion (with accompanying publicity) it could make sense. More noise = more attention = potential profits.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There was a time when everyone got an email with inactive accounts for free month of EQ at anniversary time, but that was before free to play.
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

Any free stuff I can try and weasel out of you?
    Whulfgar, Duder and Metanis like this.
  7. rtfj121180 Journeyman

I swear I've seen similar threads here already like this.
  8. Keenween Elder

Please NO (to Daybreak), you open a door for all scammer AND all FTP get all free AA,s (and thats not fair to players who have pay for it!)

No thanks
    Kaenneth likes this.
  9. Anhur Journeyman

People are getting sick, dying, losing their income if not outright losing their jobs.

But sure, let's have a corporation capitalise on human tragedy.

How about just let people play EQ if they so chose to during this time.
  10. Keenween Elder

EQ is f2p

And for the other, ask you super duper :rolleyes: President "Trump" . He can handel it like a god (rofl:p )
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

That makes no sense
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

People have to stop with the "free stuff" threads.

A free Level 85 Heroic Character with All Access is already a 3500 Daybreak Cash or $35 value.

Darkpaw Games could have only offered bonus xp and the theoretical goalpost would be a free Heroic Character. Now that a free HC is offered, the next goalpost is a free month of All Access. What's next? Free basic ToV expansion?

Pushing these "bonuses" also reeks of bad taste (as we are in the middle of a pandemic) at some point.
    Nennius, Corwyhn Lionheart and Duder like this.
  13. Alek New Member

Joking about people dying is low and unappreciated.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Begging for "freebies" while there is a pandemic shows poor character and a lack of dignity.

Time to let it go. You already have a free Heroic Character on tap ($35 value).
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Or we all save money by playing a game we enjoy which is already cheap and help keep the devs employed so they keep making the game we enjoy.

Other entertainment is closed. And you can get a month of play for about the cost of going to see a movie in a theatre.
  16. enclee Augur

It’s not begging for freebies, it’s marketing. Right now, this is the time to make money for businesses that provide entertainment at home. It’s a window of opportunity to strengthen EQ’s future by getting old members back into the game. It’s a financial boost and a boost to the rest of the player base.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. It's poor taste to market or capitalize during a pandemic. It's nice to give bonuses (i.e. free internet, free utilities, free streaming) but at some point it can go beyond helping people or "being nice."

2. Many people are worried about their rent, mortgage, credit card payments, groceries, and other bills. We should put those concerns ahead of entertainment.

3. Daybreak is already providing a free Level 85 Heroic Character. As I said in a previous thread, people are moving the goalposts. First, it's free HC and now 1 month of All Access. What's next? Free basic ToV so "we can get more bodies"? The devs need to get paid and the servers need to keep their lights on.

By contrast, WoW is only providing 1 month of subscription which will likely revert to their heavy-handed F2P restrictions: (1) Level Cap of 20 and (2) No expansion unlocks.
  18. enclee Augur

Business is business, the world isn’t stopping. There’s nothing wrong with giving people a social space to interact, during a time of uncertainty. People are being forced to stay home and that’s not stopping other games or entertainment platforms from trying to capture and increase revenue streams. So, you provide for a need and at the same time you can get them to spend money, plus add to your in-game social economy that’s a big win.

All the other issues surrounding the world aren’t something DPG can solve, outside of creating charity events their actions are limited. The best thing DPG can do is to provide stable employment for its employees, and you do that by getting people in the game, even if it’s for free.

Edit: if you’re one of the people impacted by economic aspects of the Corona Virus, the US has ordered banks to offer relief for up to a year on your mortgage. Please, check with your mortgage company to see if they can assist you with payments. Also, numerous utilities and municipalities are offering late payment and non-payment forgiveness. Please, contact any of your billers and other payments you may have, to check if they can offer some relief.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

That is your opinion. Personally, I think it's poor taste and even sleazy for companies to market or capitalize during a pandemic.

I am also certain Darkpaw/Daybreak will lose revenue with more "freebies." At least the Heroic Character promotion (which was pre-planned) is incentivizing purchases of All Access or the redemption of Krono.

Edit: You are not going to upsell people to Premium Edition ToV or chase a Heritage Crate illusion if there are some uncertainties in their lives.
  20. enclee Augur

Its not malicious our exploiting scarcity and panic. You have a very odd take on business. Are grocery stores sleazy for still charging people? HEB is offering their curbside delivery service for free, so guess where I’m doing my grocery shopping? Does that make them sleazy or socially responsible?
    Same premise as DPG offering free membership, while people are confined to their homes. It maintains a level of social responsibility, while at the same time helping business.

Now your next point, this makes no sense, how can you lose money from opening access to a digital product? If, anything it’d help them be more cost efficient with all of their fixed costs (hardware, electricity, rent, property tax, salaries, etc.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.