California's "shelter-in-place" to affect Darkpaw Games?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Mar 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I presume California's statewide order to "shelter-in-place" will affect Darkpaw Games. Should there be problems with the servers, will they be able to reset or reboot automatically or remotely?

I suppose there was some providence in delaying the T3 raids. :D

I am wishing all the best to those affected by COVID19.
    svann likes this.
  2. rtfj121180 Journeyman

Those affected by covid19? Everyone is affected by it.
  3. Ebine Augur

It shouldn't affect them since they there essential company.
  4. Laronk Augur

You might be amazed at how much stuff you can do to a server remotely. With things like ilo or drac depending on your vendor you can more than just restart or power on a powered off server remotely. You can fully install a different operating system without ever going onsite for example going from bare metal windows or hyper v to VMware esxi . Even if you have actual hardware failures most organizations run their servers in clusters and are able to operate even if a physical box dies. And you can have multiple storage devices

Each of these clustered servers can be connected to multiple switches making the whole switching network redundant too then with multiple routers connected to multiple internet providers.

All of these things can be plugged into managed ups which you can log into and turn on and off the power ports just in case something needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

I wouldn’t worry about it
  5. Strawberry Augur

California will pay a high price when CEO choose money over people.

[IMG]
  6. Bamboompow Augur

Elon Musk is partially right. The disease itself has to be taken seriously for our lack of understanding of it and the real risk it poses to the elderly as well as the infirm. However, the hoarding, the financial panic (and opportunism), Putin's behavior ( plus other political leaders), and other actions on the part of the media are indeed dumb. Granted some of the ***holery being perpetrated is brilliant, but if the over all goal is to get through this as a species and society....yah. Dumb AF.

As usual, for some the base behavior is about the best they can muster in a crisis. Also, as expected, the younger adult generations are not taking this even remotely seriously. The rest of us will have them to thank if we end up all locked down and under martial law. Glad you all think you are bullet proof when some National Guard rifle is pointed at you, ordering you home. Anyway, at least news sites are dropping their paywalls.
    Prathun likes this.
  7. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

A lot of the nonsense panic is due to the same people who thought the sky was falling with Ebola and predicted millions of deaths using the same modeling systems to predict 19.

If the infection rate and lethality of that virus is as high as the worst its been predicted, we would have hundreds of thousands of deaths from it in the pre-quarrantine stage in the US, given that the first known infection in the US was in early January, and incubation time is somewhere between "we think 5 days for the median" and "2 weeks, probably" and they've given it an R0 of more than double the flu.

We didnt. Major world health organizations are more than FIFTEEN standard deviations away from each other in the virus R0 and lethality, and if you look at Stanford Medicines numbers (who are on the record that everyone is off their rocker and panicking over what is a significantly less problematic infection in parts of the world where we A: Bathe and B: dont as a population chain smoke [which is not the same as it is in the hardest hit parts of China and Italy]), its over 20.

I've spent years working medical regulatory in this field, and the amount of stupidity among the general population is absurd. No, you dont need to quarrantine yourself. Yes, if you have been grocery shopping in the last week (OR LIVE WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS), you are as likely to be infected as you will be going out in sparse crowds for the next several months. No, you dont need to close your business. Yes, you absolutely should hemmorhage money and never get public (and hopefully not private) funding to recover if you voluntarily closed.

As for the national guard being deployed and forced quarrantines, wars have been started for far less, its a very dangerous road to take, even at a local level.
  8. Numiko Augur

If anything it may cause delays on next years expansion, but most of the maintenance work should be doable from home.
  9. kimbotta Lorekeeper

The can nerf things from anywhere.
    Daedly likes this.
  10. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

A week ago I was nonplussed about this guy in front of me at the store buying $300 of groceries. Every day things are escalating. Trump talked about universal basic income, which makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone. If I wasn't taking things seriously a week ago, I am now. Schools and businesses closing has pulled the rug out from under a lot of people. We had food delivered at my house and the driver had their kid with them. There are big lines to get into the store and they close early. The problems caused by panicking and the danger of getting sick are very real. I wish we didn't have to take it seriously, and I hope we're wrong because the alternative is so much worse.
    Marton, Nennius and Maedhros like this.
  11. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

The hoarding of Toilet Paper will go down in history as one of the greatest Darwin Failures in human history.
  12. svann Augur

Seriously? Do you even know what that means? Think about it for half a sec.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. Cimbaeth Elder

This wacko Californian planted a big garden already this year before the hit the fan. I would suggest that people who can go plant a garden. You can order seeds online, or go to a nursery if any are still open.
  14. dreamweaver Community Manager

Since I've posted an update in news and announcements I am going to lock this post, thank you for the concern everyone!
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.