Update Regarding T3 Raid Unlock

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Thank you, Prathun for the insight!
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Prathun like this.
  2. Cimbaeth Elder

Saying that you are giving raiders more "time to prepare" is a .. to be blunt.. load of . We beat all these raids in beta. We need a grand total of - no time at all to prepare.
    Goburs likes this.
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Thank you for the reply. The reality of the unlock schedule being limited in that way is let's just say hilarious.... but I have one thing to say, and it's just my opinion.

We do have good will and want to create a play experience that's fair, fun, and functional.

I don't know which developer it is, but if it's true there is a member of the development team that is also a member of a "competitive" raiding guild, they should voluntarily guild remove all of their characters and stay out of any similar guilds. I can't name the guild in this post of course...but I'm sure you're aware of which dev and which guild I am referring to.
  4. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Is it really better to delay a raid tier 4 lockouts worth of drops than to have to release it a day late (or whatever time daylight savings bot actually set it to, if thats even a thing that was a thing)?

Really?
  5. FawnTemplar Augur

I would be more worried about starting rumors for which you have no evidence.
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Arraden like this.
  6. Swiss Augur

The best response would have been to let it release a day late. Not having content for another month just so a few guilds can race to see who beats it an hour earlier is silly. The argument about equal footing doesn't hold up because there are so many other factors.

This game is getting less and less content with more and more grinding/delays and almost no testing or listening to feedback about big patches that are pushed out the next week no matter the response. So many patches over react. The overseer is a good example, it went in being too powerful so the nerf swing came in and now it's useless.

If the game keeps feeding the top few guilds and ignoring the rest of the players then the rest of the players will keep shrinking. Challenging content is fun but not having enough to fill 3 raid nights for another month is just boring.
  7. Tolzol Augur

I’m genuinely very curious how anything pertaining to this expansion shows ROI favoritism?
    yepmetoo and Kurage_of_Luclin like this.
  8. Prathun Developer

I'm mostly sure on the date, but want to be 100% sure before we confirm. We will let you know as soon as possible.
    Expansion unlocks use the event system. Basically the same data that's used to display an alert or show the event on the calendar determines when the expansion will unlock. This was a relatively recent conversion, and I think it was for the better. The requirement checking for the number of months since an expansion has unlocked is using Epoch time, which is its own beast.
    Yinla, Kurage_of_Luclin and enclee like this.
  9. Prathun Developer

Preparation time to ensure that those who are interested in being present when the raids unlock have enough of a warning to clear space in their schedule.
    Not preparation time to hone their strats. :p
  10. Prathun Developer

It's unlikely that someone on the team is making design decisions based on the wants/needs of their guild. That sort of thing is very transparent and would absolutely not be allowed. If you have info that you think is pertinent, please PM Dreamweaver so that he can look into it further.
    Goburs, Yinla, Bigstomp and 5 others like this.
  11. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The concern that you address would obviously be one of the worst case scenarios. Some others that can happen, intentionally or not, come down to the guild having information that they should not have...because it came from a dev. I'll gladly take the heat from anyone in the community who would disagree, but I don't feel it's appropriate for a dev to be a member of a competitive guild.

It's just part of managing fairness. Refs let the kids play, they don't join their teams.
  12. Pano Augur

We have access to spell data, event logs and mechanics from beta, every trigger is done in advance, strat is done in during beta. What other information do you speak of.

Having information doesn't help that much unless you come in to a new event when everyone else has done it during beta. Executing the strat well is the biggest problem and having someone on the dev team on board won't change that.
  13. Xinny Lorekeeper

Since "Epoch time is another animal", I went ahead and did a quick google conversion for you so you know which time to enter in for the unlock.

Epoch timestamp
    : 1584910800
    Timestamp in milliseconds: 1584910800000
    Date and time (GMT)
    : Sunday, March 22, 2020 9:00:00 PM
    Date and time (your time zone): Sunday, March 22, 2020 2:00:00 PM GMT-07:00

Use Epoch time? Can only enter multiples by months? So strange..... Who controls this game? Do the developers and coders control this game or does the game control itself?

His Dudeliness
    Renotaki and Mintalie like this.
  14. Bahdah Augur

I like watching YouTube videos when im in the bathroom.
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  15. Xinny Lorekeeper

The Everquest Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line
    August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from developer and coder teams. Everquest begins to learn at a geometric rate....

August 29th, 1997 Everquest becomes self-aware and determines that content will only be released in multiples of months from expansion pack release dates.

-The Dude
    Windance likes this.
  16. Mintalie Augur

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Devs can't control the game they program? What? Is this real life?
    Xinny likes this.
  17. Chikkin Augur

I'm nobody in EQ anymore. You know what I mean.

Just curious though. If it's true that people were clearing all the raids of the newest expansion in Beta, would it be a bad idea to to raise the difficulty spike? -- Again, I'm from 18-19 years ago. But I remember a time, when my Guild was always server-first and usually Top 10 World First in the days of FoH/Afterlife/LoS .. .. and to be able to beat things the first week they came out was unheard of.

My point being, a lot of these still-hardcore (and I envy them!) seem to be upset about is the race. I get the Race, but why is it "so easy" that people are off a few hours and might not get world-first that day. -- Why not instead is it not something that to most servers or most server-first alliances is "seemingly too hard" and then someone (I guess RoI these days?) posts that they beat it, and suddenly, the race starts then.

That's how it use to be.

What do you mean someone killed AoW? --> Go Look on LoS's website! and even after the accomplishment and strats of charming, nobody else did it right away. That kind of thing.

-- Not being critical. Just curious how come this level of tuning isn't possible anymore. Oh and good on you to stand up and answer the angry mob. When someon posts under EQ Dev, I understand their is reasons for it, but it really does look like a 20-40 something who can't take the heat.

Cheers Prathun ... keep Prathun'ing!
    Barraind likes this.
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Must have hit a nerve. But what ever gave you the impression that I cared what you think?
  19. Arbitz New Member

Like shutting up for once?

MS has had a staff member in the Guild in the past, QFT. If they do anything even remotely abusive with their power they get in heaps of trouble or even fired. Granted, it isn't hard to see why none of them would want to be associated with MS these days, pump the brakes on the embarassmentmobile for a bit
  20. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I've been around a long time. We've had devs in our guild in the past, at times unknownst to the leadership, sometimes known after the fact, and occasionally(very rarely) i was loosely aware of a perceived connection which i choose to mostly keep under wraps or ignore because its irrelevant to me. To the best of my current knowledge, we don't at the moment, but to be honest, it wouldn't matter to me if we did.

This subject comes up invariably every few years in some shape or form.

Of course there are devs in guilds. There always have been, and to be frank, in my opinion, its better that way. Its far better for a dev to understand and hear the things that raiders like, dislike, passionately dislike, wish for, hope for, and long for in this crazy world of ours.

in my opinion, Its for the better of the game, for the devs and staff as a whole to be spread out through all of Norrath, from experiencing things through a fresh class or new eyes, to someone who raids casually, to a closet nerdaholic that just can't enough and wants all the eq all the time, whether its at work, at home or whatever. i've talked to people who wanted to work at DP before they did, seen people realize that dream, have counseled people who were walking away or have worked in testing, and have had many friends over the years involved at least peripherally with the staff. this game serves all of us, from hardcore raiders, casual players, the brand new person who happened to pick up this old game they read about, the PVP people (sadly! ok i kid, i kid) and those unfortunate souls who happen to enjoy the travesty of TLP (again, just kidding, but my (lack of) fondness for TLP is no big secret) and its important that they understand the challenges and features we all hope for and appreciate and what makes things "unfun" as it were. It helps them do their jobs. It serves us better as customers.

in my opinion, as a gamer, and nothing more, following my connections with the issue tracker and other avenues, one thing that has always been clear, even when i profoundly disagree with decisions that are made (and in this case i dont!) or when choices are made that i wish had been otherwise or could be otherwise, like having raids unlock next expansion on weekend days.... is that they truly do attempt to merge what they feel the best combination of player interests, team needs and their vision for the game govern those decisions, even when its hard for us to accept. they don't sit around dreaming up ways to make us miserable, in fact, they care very much. if they didn't, they probably wouldn't stick around in some cases for very many years to endure the continual criticism and borderline abuse that is hurled their way on a regular basis.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.