thinking about making afk farming bots

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kamog nublet shaman, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Numiko Augur

I guess this guy missed all the "But I use VM for work! I was unfairly banned!!!" threads.
  2. KnightofTruth Journeyman

Lol. You're not very intelligent. The fact is, afk bots are taking up tons of zones and they are also generating huge amounts of raw platinum that is being turned into real money, aka krono. it's sad to see the best players in the game get over run by a few botters, because daybreak games has allowed it. well, many of us are quitting. enjoy your everquest with 2-3 botters at the top.
  3. Gnomie Denser than most

Been petitioning afk botters since Coirnav started 2 years ago. Got the generic "looking into it but can't tell you the results of the investigation" response, combined with nothing ever happening and the same botters still just afk botting. Finally gave up on it and rejoiced when all the rubbish went off to mangler.
  4. Hilo Journeyman

So , were the afk farm bots ever made? What classes did you decide to use?
  5. AlmarsGuides Augur

I go into detail about the program on my website, sure. I emailed Daybreak before writing my guides and saying anything about the program to make sure they'd be ok with my guides. They also know that all they have to do is ask and I will take them down.

That being said, I expressly avoided adding any information about how to AFK or ways to AFK better on my website. So long as that's against the rules of the game it's not something I would put on my website out of respect for Daybreak and their game.
    Maneuvre, Skuz and Foaming like this.
  6. code-zero Augur

I do not trust players to be able to tell h@x from in game abilities. As a bard main I have been accused of cheating multiple times for performing elegant single pulls of named. I have seen magicians accused of cheating for using coth. On TLP I suspect the general level of game mechanics knowledge to be even worse.
  7. Gnomie Denser than most

It's pretty easy to tell if someone is using . And if they're doing it on a truebox TLP they're automatically "cheating".

If players automatically simultaneously run to the same exact spot and attack whenever a mob is in range, and then immediately jerky turn back towards their original spot and go back to the same pixel perfect spot; I don't see how people can't see they're using a program.
  8. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

I don't see much reason for Darkpaw to do much about afk botters. They obviously can't detect the automation, and even if they could all of these accounts have to be paid to play on TLPs. Everquest is an old niche game with a small audience. Every account is important. Farmers are accounts. These farmers also only exist because other players are willing to purchase Krono from Darkpaw. These same consumers are likely to buy above average Market Place items. It is about money. As much as any of us enjoy Everquest we have to be realistic that Darkpaw is a business and they will cater towards the most profitable consumer base.

I say all that from the perspective of someone who 6 boxed using 5 additional laptops and usb numpads to maximize control on multiple different TLPs. I hated jumping through the hoops to play my group, but it was required due to my work constraints (you can't make groups off hours unless you bring your own). But I was never mad or jealous of those who risked their accounts to get around the basic limitations of Trubox. I also don't feel boxing or botting actually interfered with TLP economy or grouping to nearly the amount the vocal minority here on the forums have portrayed. I don't think Trubox has done much positive for TLPs since it is so easily defeated, it only seems to hurt those of us who want to play by the rules by making it very difficult for us to do so. AoCs, Pickzones, and the such are the real reason TLPs are so successful.
    sauron69 likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

From what I recall, it wasn't a bot army, per se. He was doing some sort of keyboard hub where all machines were controlled from a single kb/mouse. Just my recollection from a couple of conversations I had with him on Steel Warrior back then.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

I've been accused of warping just for logging in.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Aiona Augur

If it takes someone more than a minute or two to tell if someone else is botting, they either don't know all the things to look for and/or don't know the hunting area very well. :)

Edited for clarity
  12. code-zero Augur

Here's the thing, I've seen automated groups. The tank will suddenly run unerringly straight toward an area where a mob is about to appear. It's already spawned but the client hasn't rendered it for video yet. The tank runs straight back to camp where the tightly packed melee DPS characters all move in a clump behind the mob while the tank does his thing. Healer sits until time to cast a heal and then will immediately sit back down again. The effect is rather eerie in fact.

The software that allows broadcasting looks a bit different and typically use casters since it doesn't have the ability to move characters to within safe melee range.

So called "proof" videos seldom had anything that even vaguely resembled that sort of precision. Now some did have something going on to be sure but it was also apparent that whoever was doing it was having to check characters while doing it so that's not really /afk
  13. Aiona Augur

I am very familiar with the first scenario you mentioned, less so with broadcasting types.

And yeah, if the botter isn't AFK completely, that can through me off on detection too, if they take any non-automated actions.

I really, really miss the days when Norrath had active GM's.
  14. Aiona Augur

I believe you are correct, from the videos I have seen at least, indicating the same.