JChan, Everquest Remastered

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vicus, Mar 12, 2020.

1. phattoni Augur

i will never pre purchase another thing from darkpaw, i prepurchased h1z1 and landmark, both were literal wastes of money and i didnt get a refund either.
    Laronk and Risiko like this.
  2. Vicus Augur

I agree with this if this was a few years back. The issue with this is that EQ next failed, Daybreak games does not have the best reputation. There have been many layoffs (almost yearly around Christmas time) and besides EQ/EQ2, the profolio of sony/daybreak games isn't that stellar lately. Also while I love the staff for Darkpaw games for keeping EQ alive and kicking (and profiting I assume), how many of them are spun up on the latest and greatest programming gaming software out there. To undertake a new game with limited experience on newer systems wouldn't be the best use of money in my option (and its an opinion..they may have an entire staff that is certified on the graphic engines out there). That is why I suggest sticking to what you do know and knocking it out of the park. Get new positive reviews and build excitement as well as showing outside investors (or inside ones) that you shouldn't hold back the EQ devs from doing what they are good at. Also will build confidence in the gamers (subscribers and past subscribers).

Heck Viper who probably loves EQ already stated that he wouldn't touch crowdfunding because he has no confidence in them. Even with the name EQ. So pushing out a new game seems like a bigger gamble to me.
  3. Verily Tjark Augur

Should have just said buy Pantheon, finish it, and release it... boom EQ 3
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The looming end of DX9 / 32-bit support are the dual swords of Damocles hanging over EQ's head.
    Caell, Sancus and Skuz like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is true, they had one of the coders re-write the whole engine for DX9 after MS stopped supporting one of the earlier DX versions it was on already, but I don't know if they have anyone who could do that for the game now.
  6. feeltheburn Augur

lol really?? you have too much time on your hands.
  7. Vicus Augur

Says the person who took the time to read it?:p I stick by my thoughts. If others have better opinions I will be the first to state it. I for one am sadly not looking forward to progression server # 12? Will I still play it, probably because I enjoy EQ, but still rather have something more.
  8. feeltheburn Augur

read every bit of it and still think you have too much time on your hands and slight touch of a loss of reality. But hey go play, I m sure we would miss you terribly if you did not play.
  9. Warpeace Augur

I think they would have to start all over. However the bones of the game are amazing and if they would just polish it and relaunch it, it could be amazing.
  10. enclee Augur

There’s no value in a remastered Everquest. The franchise is culturally irrelevant and has no appeal to the younger demographic. It’s a niche market with little support.

Everquest is going to be the most popular game in the senior living communities in 10 years, and at that point maybe you could remaster it.
  11. Buri Augur

Here's a perfectly good reason/example: Star Wars Galaxies New Game Engine/Combat Upgrade.
    Someone at SOE thought this way, and it literally killed the game.
    enclee and code-zero like this.
  12. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Then type slower and make your thoughts more succinct and clear. For all anyone knows you're a random dude on the internet meth-binging out a nonsensical epiphany. It's not exactly rare for someone to think they've stumbled across something no one's thought of and insist a novel is the best way to get it across.

Who cares who the devs might think you are? I don't know who you are (and if you said it in your post, it was buried) and since I don't know who you are, and if I'm not your intended audience then why would I read it?

In response to what I assume you're trying to get across -- I don't want an overhaul to EQ 1. I imagine most people that have been involved with something for 15+ years don't want overhauls to it. The highly coveted 18-24 demographic does not play MMOs or invest in PC gaming. So the upside to modernizing a 20 year old platform is maybe a couple re-subs, with the downside of killing off the entire game.
  13. demoria7 Elder

A remaster is something many of us have discussed over the years. Especially an updated graphics engine. But too much change destroys the feel of the game. Most of us like the mechanics but get tired of the lack of expression in the graphics. Still, I do think, they have done a wonderful job working within the current graphic limitations. I thought maybe some year, at April 1st, perhaps you would log in and find that your toon had been highjacked (with appropriate gear per level/class) into a graphic intense version of classic EQ story. I have not played EQ2. It may be they already tried and could not capture the essence with a remaster.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

I would love to see remastered EverQuest, but it's hard to believe that it wouldn't get lost in the technology that is insisted upon. Change the combat and you end up with ESO. Change the quests and you end up in WoW.

What I would like to see is a TLP type relaunch where the game sees minimal changes. Same items. Same lore. Same quests.

However with technological improvements. Like how Blizzard launcher is tied to the account allowing you to reach your friends across multiple games. Multiple games managed from one patcher.

EQ benefits now from being able to play on any PC pretty much, even multiple instances of EQ. I think that is a huge value to EQ and that flexibility should be considered.

I also wouldn't under estimate the number of people who would love to cross platform EQ. Many games can do this. EQ as it is now would run on my cell phone. I wouldn't need a laptop. Just a blue-tooth keyboard and a HDMI cable and I could plug in an play anywhere. A new engine would allow this. I can sync my Xbox remote to my iPhone now and play Xbox 360 games.

I don't think that EQ should even remove zoning, but rather optimize player per zone by utilizing new server technologies.

I believe may of the EQ reboots have failed not because EQ is not relevant but rather because they suffer from identity crisis. I haven't even finished the tutorial on EQ2 because it doesn't feel like EQ to me at all. Landmark / EQ next as I saw them looked too much to technology with destructible environments and the cartoony graphics of WoW. I think that these games took the lore and went off on a technological tangent, rather than growing with technology while remaining EQ.

I also think that MMOs in general should be extremely careful creating their own IP competition which is what EQ2 did and EQ3 would do.EQ remastered would benefit more from server rule sets and graphical options than it would gameplay overhaul.

Just my thoughts and I know they are missing most of the important technological and business background to understand why Darkpaw wont do it.
  15. Luinne B`Haen Lorekeeper

Corrected your statement to reflect reality. Either you didn't know about, or forget about the vaporware, "EverQuest Next" along with the EverMineCraft project.
    code-zero and Nennius like this.