Community Letter: A Note from Jennifer Chan

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

How would you suggest that be done?
    What "advancements of the MMORPG Genre" in particular do you feel allow a game to cater to an almost exclusively casual / social player?

You are definitely amongst a very small minority of the current EverQuest playerbase, there used to be a very large social / casual community on most servers but over time they simply left the game, there was always content for casuals to play through & still is but they just stopped playing the game for a whole ton of different reasons.
    The demographics of the game have shifted immensely over the past 20 years & now the population is essentially distilled, while most of the people like yourself stopped playing years ago, a much higher percentage of the hardcore raiders stuck around.

TLP servers run at an accelerated unlock schedule, I think that they are simply not suited to players who are very casual & social but do not like to do group progression or raid in era, if you can't hack the faster pace you will inevitably fall behind everyone else & get left behind.

What kinds of character advancement are you looking for from EverQuest?

Character Power is found in "hard" numerical things: Levels, AA, Gear & Augments
    Character Power is also found in "soft" things: Knowledge, Skill, Organisational Ability, Leadership

Then there are Cosmetic things that allow you to differentiate your character from others in the world, mounts, weapon ornaments & gear ornaments which can all be combined to create a signature look.

Group Gear from House of Thule onwards is perfectly suited to the grouping game & to group progression, you only need raid gear if you raid, getting that gear is pretty straightforward.

You say you hate raiding, then you whine about being excluded from content which requires raiding - well in fact that criticism of the game has been addressed, since the group missions from 80 onwards feature the same creatures, stories, & sequence of events from the raids of each expansion cut down in difficulty & some reduction in mechanics in order for a group to experience it.

You may be best served by looking for a guild on a LIVE server that does cater for casual players, Lions of the Heart on Xegony is a well known example of such a guild, yes they raid too but they aren't forcing players or expecting them to raid, can play as you like there.

Unless EQ releases a no-raids server, which is super-unlikley as raiding is such a huge part of the game & people who refuse to raid at all are a very tiny niche set of players these days, you are really going to have a bad time on TLP.
    Jein-ko and code-zero like this.
  2. YetAgain New Member

You answered your own question there bud. Do you REALLY think anything will be done about this? At $17.99USD per krono DPG is making lots of money on the TLP's -- why would they do anything to stop that revenue stream? People drive that bus - there will always be a part of the population that would rather pay real life $$ than to sit thru the hours of camping/ questing involved in the acquisition of said items. Yes we would ALL like to perma-ban the plat and krono farmers out there - they are a black eye on our communities - but as long as people buy the krono and pay the prices this will never change. Be happy that there's people willing to pay the insane prices - that revenue helps fund the game you love so dearly.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. david negron Lorekeeper

Jenifer Why only players with all access will be granted a Heroic Character? I only have an everquest account open and would like to get one a Heroic Character granted. Very stingy for DB granting a Heroic Character only to all access members.
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Buy one krono, redeem it during the anniversary, whining solved.
    Naedyin likes this.
  5. Zarzac Augur

I met Jen at the last Fanfare as part of the CRT group. She has true passion for the game and her technical knowledge of EQ is the best there is period.

We are in very good hands and I look forward watching the direction she takes the game.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Bamuumo New Member

Thank you, that is a very helpful tip and I will definitely use!

Still, it is seriously like one line of code... [if "the " start at 4th character] or something lol
  7. Kinadorm Augur

I think EQ is in good hands with you. Just don't let the business side of things take away too much from the fun side of the game!
  8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

First, congratulations!

Second, the problems with 3rd party sites selling Krono, the 3rd party programs allowing players to play automatically, will these issues be addressed?

It is very frustrating to do reports, screenshots, locations, names, dates and times of countless endless contacts to game management that result in no disciplinary action against the violators.

It clearly stats in the rules of conduct about afk players. This auto play issue has been mentioned in several threads here on the forums with server names, zone names, details of what players are doing, what they look like when they do it (auto mechanics of the characters).

The problem is, these cheaters still play the very next day.
    The players turn into plat farming top of the line uber players with a lot to offer other players to gain 'reputation', respect. This is powerful 'reputation' helps go against the player that points out the situation.

Hackers are turning into the dominating player base in this game.

Can you 'turn the switch on' to allow GM's to ban players?
    IT is not even the afk playing issues, as petitions about the feedback, harassment, personal violations in the game also get ignored.

This is not a fun experience. This is not a fair experience.

Does the company want the business even if you cheat?

There are a lot of things GM's don't do anymore. The pacification messages in a petition is known to be a 'hot key response'.

There are a lot of good things GM's do! There seems to be a limitation on 'policing' the game.

Thank you!
    Midgiit likes this.
  9. FatmantheBst New Member

Hi Jen, Are we going to have any discounts on Kronos or Memberships for this 21st Anniversary? :)
  10. Midgiit New Member

11. Midgiit New Member

I agree, if I have proof of them afk botting with programs, for days on end, and GM's don't do a thing... I am allowed to train them repeatedly right?
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  12. code-zero Augur

nope, most likely they'll be sending in video of you training them and you'll be the one taking a vacation from the game. Guess you can spend your 3 to 7 days off feeling good about training them and they'll forget about you while they just keep on doing what they do
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

See, that is what I mean. Does it come down to the player to police the game?
    Why?
    Especially when it is mentioned for weeks on end about the specific zone, specific server.. /hint

Why aren't they dealt with by now by game 'police'.
    How about allowing Guides to be rewarded to seek and report?
  14. NeoStarfury New Member

Welcome to the family Jennifer. I look forward to your succession as I am sure many others feel the same and hope to see what you can make possible in keeping this Legendary game afloat.
  15. Dexxeaa00 Elder

Thank you and congrats on your great success! I Hope for the best !
  16. Peter_The_great Elder

2nd that!
    Naedyin and Fanra like this.
  17. xmPradah Not a dude

None of our All Access accounts have received the Heroic slots?? I've been All Access a while, and two are Lifetime accounts. How do we resolve this?
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Wait for the anniversary to start on 16th March
    xmPradah and Warpeace like this.
  19. TeddyTen New Member

Games fun until you reach AA levels then it's either pay or locked at 50% xp/aa with a max of 250 AA's... out of what.... 38k AA's?...

As a returning player, It's hard enough to remember every aspect of your build and when you finally do get a grasp on things.. You're hit with the realization of capped AA's and locked xp sliders... Making it even more discouraging...

I'll be skipping out on the event and playing my lvl 51's in old zones till I get bored then move on again and return in a few years.

Funny, all I wanted to do was play my lvl94 necro... But leave with a salty taste in my mouth.

Should rebrand that slogan to:

Free to play in dead zones and forget about higher level zones unless you pay.

Same for eq2
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Umm You do realize that this game costs money to run. Right? Or do you think you are just entitled to be given it for free? I don't know you, but if you have a job I suspect you expect to be paid regularly. The developers also expect to be paid as well. If you pay by the month it's $14.95 USD/Month. That helps pay the salaries, electrical costs, lease and/or mortgage on their building, equipment acquisition/replacement costs, employee benefits, etc. All this for less than a decent meal in sit down restaurant. That is really cheap as entertainment goes.

Go see a movie, buy popcorn and have fun for a couple of hours. Bet you will spend a lot more than a month of EQ. Pay for someone else to go with you and it can get expensive. Yes, I do realize that some theaters are closed, but the point is still valid.

Perhaps you need wake up and really realize that everything in life has a cost. Pay your way. Plus, for at least a few weeks, with many entertainment options closed off, the chance to play a really fun game (and yes, your mileage may vary on that) for a really cheap price is a very great thing for me. And judging by the full chat channels on BB it would seem a lot of folks are also enjoying the experience.
    Jein-ko, Corwyhn Lionheart and Fala like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.