Merge All Servers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cloud the Third, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Imagine all the BOT groups all on one server? That would be a nightmare. But hey, for only one Krono, they might let you join up and kill that named they're permanently camping.
    Mazame likes this.
  2. Cloud the Third Augur

Based on responses from this thread I understand why this game is dying now.

We need to change it so EQ is no longer a MMO and just a MO.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

You have expressed your feelings. The majority that have posted here do not seem to share your viewpoint. Perhaps you should reconsider your wishes and wants. Just a thought.

BTW, suggesting that all servers be merged is rather foolish. Some servers (Xegony and Bristlebane for instance) have a decent population. Now if you had suggested the low population severs be merged you might have gained some support, but you reached too far and lost the argument for now. Might be time to retreat, lick your wounds, and formulate a new strategy.
    Aanuvane, Bigstomp, Celephane and 3 others like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You seem to be one of those people who see only 1 solution to any problem & when nobody likes your solution thinks everyone must be insane.

The world is never that simple, and the people in it are absolutely more nuanced.

Server merges need to be done for the health of the game, but a one-size-fits-all approach is simply ridiculous.

Thankfully the devs understand this better than you seem to, and as they have in the past, will almost certainly not make illogical or really dumb merges.

Miragul into Phinigel might make just about enough sense to do it - provided they can bring the option for free heroics with them, Fippy into Phinigel would be fine as its virtually a dead server anyway & may just allow lapsed players to reconsider coming back - maybe.

Merging anything with Mangler makes no sense whatsoever since it's still a really healthy population there.

Brekt with FV might make sense due to the similarity of the ruleset regarding how items are handled & since the "event server" idea appears to have been put on the backburner, or dropped altogether maybe.

As for live servers, nothing with AB & AB into nothing since its not even located where any others are - Dreamweaver already confirmed this, the USA located servers will get some merges though the heavier populated ones might only see some very small pop servers come into theirs, more likely there will be a bunch of smaller pop servers merged into make them medium pop ones, the issues around server performance at raiding time is a big detractor to making them too heavily populated.

With all the above said, tech changes were also mentioned, these may change the parameters significantly or not at all regarding mergers, particularly if they address servers whose performance is currently adversely impacted by raids.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Allayna and Mazame have given succinct rebuttals. The main issue seems to be lag and hardware limitations (EQ runs on an old engine and porting over to "advanced" hardware may not be plug-and-play). And others will be sensitive to name changes, camp competition, etc.

Your proposal seems like a disproportionate "solution" to some of the problems like seasonal population changes and content race. I am not sure what "merging" servers will do other than gratify TLP-esque ego (i.e. your brag about soloing all content, being fully ToV raid geared, and having 70 krono in Post #15)?

You can't come on here with guns blazing and expecting everyone else to kowtow. Sometimes it is best to look inwards rather than outwards.
    Duder, Allayna and Nennius like this.
  6. Cloud the Third Augur

No I didn't expect everyone to agree but the amount of hate shows why it would be hard to get anyone new to come over and play the game. I mean look at all the your are evil go shoot yourself responses I got from the post to try to get a discussion about the thing.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This isn't the first server merge thread and it won't be the last. You received a lot of facetious replies because you took it to the extreme (merge all servers into 1 mega server). Don't take it personally but I think many have grown cynical by repeated requests from people who think they know better. The devs have stated that they will be merging servers based on populations (starting with low pop TLP).
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. feeltheburn Augur

NO.... the amount of people disagreeing with your post, and disproving why your ridiculous theory is no good for the game and everyone else but you, is why your butt hurt. There is no hate....just no one is jumping on your lollipops and rainbows opinion, so there for they are wrong and hating. Go find yourself another theory to play with, this one is dead and defeated.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have no problem with "some mergers" as long as sufficient work is done on infrastructure to prevent any additional lag and maybe even deal with existing lag issues at the same time.

Merging all servers into one is insane at this point in time.
    Skuz, Yinla and Benito like this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Merging servers need to consider with when the server is busy and which servers complement each other.

AB is special in it is physically in a different location - already confirmed no merge happening
    FV & Brekt have a different rule set - possibility of merging them together
    Majority of TLP servers are either on a different rule set or are at a different point of the timeline not easy to merge without comunity backlash from any servers whos rules change.

As for the others some have a high Asian, PST, EST, etc playtimes, it is no good merging 2 populations if they won't see each other, that just defeats the object.

@Cloud the Third - you seem to imply that your server is dead at your playtime, maybe your on the wrong server for when you play. On AB we still have picks of ToFS as everyone is still working on keys and other ToV zones have multipul groups doing hunter and collects (not bot groups either) occasionally there are picks. AB is not a huge server population so I would hate to think what this is like on busier servers like Xegony.

Merging all servers together would be bad, its not just names that could cause an issue, you also have parcels and neighbour hoods, every server has the same default neighbourhood names. Merging 2 servers together could cause major issues, merging them all would be a nightmare, with the potention of lots of missing chars and items.
  11. Absolutt Journeyman

If you quit can I have your krono???
    feeltheburn likes this.
  12. Qbert Gallifreyan

I get kind of bummed out when people suggest FV and Brekt should be merged; they have different rule-sets. If they opened up transfers between the two, that would be one thing . . . forced merger, no thank you.

An admittedly unscientific periodic discussion on Brekt suggests that not only do many/most of us wish to avoid getting forced onto the toxic FV server, many of us (myself included), would be very displeased to be forced onto a server with an experience bonus (the non-trivial rule-set difference).
  13. svann Augur

So... you're saying there's still a chance?
  14. Herf Augur

Back when Sony still showed how many people were on at any one time, a "server' supported about 4k simultaneous users. If you merged all the servers, even if they were at half that population, no one would be able to log on.
  15. Cloud the Third Augur

Most of those issues are simple fixes. I play on a server where people are the same timezone as myself it is just most people don't play after finishing an expansion and most have mostly done it by now. I play from like 9am EST til 2am EST so that covers most time zones for live servers. As I said with the main post most servers are US time based but you could leave out the abnormal servers from the merger. My server was really live for the first month of ToV and 2nd month is slowed down a little and is pretty much dead now. Can't remember the last time I have seen a pick outside EW.

I mean I know I am not the only person on the server who is completely hardcore and can play during work hours. I do know i am the first person to finish the ts earring on my server and know the others who followed me because we were helping each other since it bugged and we had to pay people on other servers to transfer and buy the drops from GD instance. But the population has really dropped off since I guess most are done with most things outside raids waiting for the new ones to be unlocked and not much else to work on at this point.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

It still won't make people want to group with you.
    Duder and Allayna like this.
  17. Marton Augur

I find this hard to believe.

My primary server has lower population then Bristle and we have a pick or two not only for EW but for other zones as well.

I don't play on Bristle anymore but I still have some toons there. I guess I have to check it out and see if the situation is really as dire as you say.
  18. Seriously? New Member

#1- How dare you
    #2- No
    #3- You're the wurst
  19. Cloud the Third Augur

How many hate post have been on this thread saying people won't group with you cause you are stupid? Is that the best response people can make?
  20. Baldur Augur

In theory I do agree with you.

There's nothing stopping them from merging all servers with the same rule sets into one server if they added AoCs to all servers.

But in practice I doubt they'll ever have the code to a point where that's possible, no matter how beefy the server was.