With Holly gone, what do you think the future of EQ and EQ TLP's will be?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Mar 7, 2020.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Sorry, this is one of the dumbest things I've read on here. Numbers are too big, too many different things to do, and that is somehow "bad"?

Might as well talk about how chess is terrible because there are so "many" moves and we should all play checkers.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

3. Paincake Elder

Same engine, same UI, same everything? At some point in the future, it will be the equivalent to playing text-based MUDS right now.

Would you intend on just trying to maintain the playerbase as it is? Or do you really think that just by adding "new content" over and over, getting up to around the 40th expansion, that by some miracle new players would be interested?

I seriously doubt text-based MUDS are getting new players at this point.

I never said anything about changing Everquest gameplay and style as we know it. I'm saying the game needs a refresh. And excuses that people claim like, "It would cost too much", "It's too much work", etc. are just that, excuses. We haven't the slightest idea what Daybreak/Darkpaw have in revenue. Saying those things without real data is just giving them an excuse to be lazy. Watching the game die a slow death.
  4. Beardsy Elder

Except selos. Why is it that selos is still strong as ever? Because people have absolutely ZERO interest in doing LDoN/DoDH/PoR for 3+ months. I started raiding on selos when OoW came out and I've had more fun playing EQ recently than I ever did back in the day. Selos is damn near perfect.
  5. Piznut Angry Gnome

Seems with Everquest branching off into Darkpaw games, and Holly stepping down, that they are setting up to sell Everquest off.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. PVPme Augur

Selos is definitely not strong as ever. It had a sharp decline around DoN if you compare it to its first few months. WoW Classic did come out around this time frame though and definitely took quite a few players with it which could be a factor.
  7. sumnayin Augur

Based on what? They couldn't sell with Holly as an employee? When companies change names they sell? Your lack of business knowledge?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I always sort of feel sorry for the players asking for a "second stream" or "alternate timeline" of new "OLD CONTENT STYLE EQ", just how do they not know this is a bad idea?

Can they argue any reasonable case for stopping all live game development, which is what would be necessary, to do that?

I do not think so.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. taliefer Augur

lol. you cant seriously be saying Selos is as strong as ever.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Another player didn't like what you said, I don't either but I am going to explain why I don't like it.

I came back in 2015 after taking a 7 year hiatus from the game, the game had changed so much, stats were crazy compared to what I was used to seeing.

I too was "overwhelmed" by all the AA abilities my character now had, but I learned, and it took me a few hours to get some idea of what all the new stuff was & a few days tops to really get to grips with it all & start feeling proficient again.

In my opinion blaming the game is lazy & dishonest because I think it's really about what you didn't want to have to do or felt unable to do....which is learn new things, some of that I think is a sort of unconscious conceitedness where you felt you were a good gamer & shouldn't be "made to feel" so inadequate - you should be able to dive right back in & be just as good as you think you were and so you & many others, blame the game rather than look at changing your approach.

The game at level 50 or the game at level 100 - they feel comparable in time it takes to kill a mob to me, only at 100 you have a lot more tools available & the gameplay is a much richer deeper & more complex experience overall, the stats/numbers on gear really don't factor much into terms of the overall feel of the game when you play it, the abilities available do & it doesn't take too long to adjust, you just gave up too soon, but many do just the same thing.

Problem is not the game.
    yepmetoo, Genoane and code-zero like this.
  11. Jontrann Augur

Outrageous theory:

Holly left because they are making an FV TLP ;)
  12. Xeris Augur

I'd enjoy the same EQ but with performance improvements and a few other QOL changes. Plus, give me back bard dirging :(((
  13. Maze Elder

What they need to do is create community run servers.

An admin gets to rent a server at XXX price and they can build content using the same tools as the devs now.

Using all of the available models etc. You could literally have a fully rebuilt EQ on a live community section that still requires someone to have an all access pass. Kinda like the emoolator soivah but in a official capacity. Of course, these servers would have to be approved by some team prior to being publically available. Just a dream.
  14. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Is it time for Son of Stormhammer?

Merge all the normal ruleset live servers. Merge all the currently active TLPs. Reimplement the Legends service. Charge $20-25 per month (no krono for sub, sorry). Start at Classic + Kunark, original XP rate, and unlock all class/race combos except Drakkin. With the extra subscription fee, hire more devs and GMs. Bring back the original guide program, with powers to banish to a jail zone and freeze logins for the offending account. Escalate to a GM for review and disciplinary action if any is to be taken.

Allow mounts to be claimed, just deactivate the buffs until the appropriate expansion unlocks. Allow only mark I xp potions, if at all, until later in the life of the server. Reitemize the loot tables, to remove Defiant items, until appropriate, or even permanently. Back to krono, players would still have access to any they own, and can buy more, but they could only be used as an ingame currency.

Thoughts? I know the Legends idea pops up from time to time, but hasn't everybody already burned out on the same old rinse and repeat TLPs?
  15. That0neguy Augur

It's called seeing the writing on the wall and leaving before it's too late. It's a very common thing for leadership to jump ship before an acquisition.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Risiko and Herf like this.
  16. Stagentti Augur

That right there is probably a server killer.
    Skuz, Thalliius and Risiko like this.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I'm not inflexible on the point.
  18. Stagentti Augur

Ya sorry I like your overall idea of a premium server in some form. . I should have said that rather than just "I don't like this".
  19. mark Augur

a classic everquest client with corpse runs and no maps,charecters weaker against the mobs,no charming of nameds and ae only 4 mobs max.,but the maps will have to stay in game because someone will come out with a mod or something to display the maps,and i wish holly all the best everquest subs have been in reasing over the last few years wish you all the best.
  20. Paincake Elder

Never said "stopping all live game development". That wouldn't be cool to the Live players at all. But assuming that it would be "necessary" is also kindof hard-headed. You know this, how? It goes back to the whole argument that we really have no idea how much money they make. Everyone assumes the "dev team is small" due to money issues. Possibly true. But it could also be because they just don't want to increase it's size.