State of tradeskills in the game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Windance Augur

I've really hated trade skills since I started in 2001. But I really wanted to gear that was linked to them for my main so I did what was needed to get them done.

A couple years ago when the TS earring and TS aug were put in place I thought there was no way in .... I was going to push everything to 350 for max, but it turned out to be a nice (but painful) thing to work on once everything else was done for the expansion. It still took me nearly two years to finish the final levels of the aug.

So when this TS earring come out it's been fairly easy as far as TS requirements go. Most of the really rare stuff gets returned so even when you have to remake pieces you aren't having to go back and farm for days like some of the PoP recipes.

I still hate doing trade skills. Mostly because its a PITA to management all the TS items.

My biggest QoL would be to make a TS 'house' we could easily dump entire bags of TS items and then pull up a recipe from one of the containers and say - "go get all of these from my house"
  2. Moege Augur

You don't have to empty out anything, hand a bag to a merchant/pet but do not click give, you now have a free slot, use that for the combine

If it is on find the auto combine function should be able to use it. Managing a horde of storage mules is just silly.

Tradeskill containers should have sets like the spellbook where you can save/load sets of recipes! Think those favorites are stored serverside ?
  3. charla Lorekeeper

Sounds good: but try to find a way to incentivise the crafter here: so eg 20 consignments crafts for others gives you a TS skill up or some other tangible reward? THEN it becomes more social.
  4. Evurkvest Augur

What type 7/8 is that? Cant find it.
  5. Derresh Augur

me no read whole thread.
    me no like tradeskills.
    me no like best items/augs come from tradeskills.
    just say no to tradeskills.
    Raccoo, Rila and Sancus like this.
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I definitely think the RoS model of tradeskills is preferred where actual items are created and they’re filler gear rather than just containers for named drop stuff.
  7. Triconix Augur

My only issue for TSing is that all the BIS gear has now become exclusively TS items. It used to be an alternative method of gear vs normal raid gear and each had their pros and cons. Having TS gear as BIS for everything now instantly trivializes. Why should I spend resources - plat, time, DKP - on gear that will just be replaced by the beginning of summer? Especially in TOV where I've yet to find a single moment where I was like "wow, I really could use some extra gear right now." I'll have no problem holding off to just get the TS gear, and I'm sure many people are using the same logic as I am.

What does that cause? It causes only 1 item in each raid chest to become valuable. 90% of all gear, the time invested in creating it, designing it, naming it, etc, is all for not because it's nothing more than just alt scraps.

And now the issue is getting even worse. The best 7/8 augs in game? Locked behind TSes. I've spent dozens of hours acquiring the "lootable" augs in the game either by named camping or grinding missions and they are clearly inferior to the TS augs that took maybe an hour to acquire and could be less if you just spend ~50k in the baz at the most right now and run one of the 15 (or less) minute missions.

Slot 18/19 augs? You have to grind nameds for days/weeks, acquire an item, then risk the chance of failing making the aug via tradeskills, putting you back at square and grinding the nameds. I'm over 400 nameds killed and I've seen a grand total of 4 ores. It takes roughly 2 hours for me to get a named. I usually try to camp two named mobs at once unless I'm boxing so let's say 90 minutes per named x 400 and I'm staring at 25 days played just to acquire 4 ores and I only won 2 of them, when I was boxing by myself. The other 2 went to other people when I was in a group.

I normally group with the same 6-8 people. All of us will need around 4ish slot 18s each. After doing the math, that's 150-200 DAYS just grinding named mobs and trying to get augs. That's excluding the slot 19s, doing other stuff, waiting for people to log in, raids, etc. That's an absolutely incredible time investment all to acquire something we may ultimately fail at making, adding hundreds of hours to that already excruciatingly long grind.

There just has to be some consistency at some point. Are TS items meant to always be best in slot? If yes, are they expected to be fairly easy to acquire or difficult? Well, I'm not sure because it changes depending on the item. And also, if TS items are meant to be BIS, just cut out all the extra fluff alt trash and make everything drop exclusively TS components. There's no point of doing itemization for hundreds of items that are essentially pointless when it's all said and done.
  8. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

A consignment system would be great but I question if it's already too late. You've been forcing us to be trade skillers anyways, so there isn't a real reason to seek out someone else. Nearly everyone seems to be good at doing at least 1 trade skill most have multiple trade skills that they're good at. "Crafters" just aren't rare anymore.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The issue with both is an extra item (or more) is created for each item. I consider that wasteful. I'd like to get rid of that extra item step.
    Duder, Nennius and Sancus like this.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

There is also a "tip" section. And, yes, if you are not max skill, a change to gain a skill
  11. Risiko Augur

True. You just need to convince Jchan to spend a couple weekends making the new consignment trade window :)

Show up at her office with a pizza in one hand and Starbucks in the other.

You can do it Ngreth! You are our only hope! lol
  12. Ibudin Augur

I love the TS as they have been since EOK. Well done and thought out.
    The fact you can TS a PS and its locked behind a quest, I find that outstanding motivation with that alone considering the amount of farming you had to do previously for a PS to get one (before they increased the drop rate).
    TS while I am not into as much as other people, really drive the market for PP sales second to collects. Need something to make PP off of, and making augs, gear, and now P.S. only helps that.
    Want the best in slot items, need to work for it. I choose to only work for it on one character, the alts, get second best and I am ok with that.
    Risiko likes this.
  13. Lubianx Augur

Velium Empowered Gem of Freezing. Once you reach the 4th level of the earring quest, you can upgrade Velium Infused Gem of Security with the procs
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd love to see spell research returned to crafting rank 2 spells. Some of the recent expansions had terrible drop rates for rank 2 spells. That and the RNG hates me.
  15. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

With consigned items , is it possible to give a player something and have them not give you any thing back ?

Muhbis are pretty easy to not get ripped off , because you get the item you bought, if buying from the bazaar window.

It is my experience there will always be someone who will rip off other players if given the opportunity and no type of check and balance.

How would a consignment system , ensure that the player asking for the combine will get the made components?

If I wanted something like a belt made I could just buy the muhbis from the /bazaar and add the final no-drop component.
  16. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Just and Idea but I recommend that in TOV raid chests; add one more raid diamond, and perhaps one less armor drop. Because more people want the raid diamond, since it is the best in slot gear for armor, jewelry, weapons and charms.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Monkman Augur

Dude thank you, I've been meaning to write something to this exact degree for quite some time now. The "of Security" "of Adroitness" "of Brilliance" "of Vigor" items have been exhausted and re-hashed over and over since RoS and I would be happy to see them disappear for an expansion or two.
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  18. svann Augur

I strongly doubt that all your raid loot is going to alts. Maybe a very few pieces, but not even close to what you claim.
  19. Szilent Augur

90% maybe an exaggeration? But not an outlandish one. Mains loot BPs, and bricks. 10-luck versions only of non-vis. War & rog class weapons, to be used as off handers. Pet ears.
  20. Triconix Augur

Not really. Our people doing loot have to practically beg to give away the loot. A lot of the gear goes to alts or people with very low DKP who wouldn't have a chance at ores. Its normally only 1-2 people max putting in for an item out of a raid force of 60+. That's pathetic for gear that's still only 2-3 months old
    Xeladom, Elyssanda and Monkman like this.