total debuffs on mobs.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by strongbus, Mar 5, 2020.

1. strongbus Augur

I know as a long time player that there is something like 99 total spots on a mob for debuffs/dots/etc. but got people in guild trying to claim its only 55 total spots.

anyone got a link to a post with a derv saying the max number so i can give them proof.(been trying to search for one but can't find one)
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

I have no idea. But it might be broken up like Spells slots / Song slots / Aura slots am I missing any thing?
  3. niente Developer

NPC debuff slots = 55 (NPC) + 42 (player) = 97
    Only the first 55 are visible

Edit:
    Players have 42 + 30 (short term buffs) + 1 (melee effect) = 73
    "melee effect" being an active discipline.
    Derresh, Discord, Mithra and 9 others like this.
  4. Teylana Elder

How exactly does that work? What counts as a npc vs player debuff? Do mall and Tash count as NPC while DoTs count as player?
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The debuff slots are essentially one big pool on a mob … and you see the first 55. It's why if you land less than 56 debuffs on a mob, you always see them.

There's magic under the hood so to speak as to how they hook up the NPC + Player debuff space for a mob. But there's no special flags (that I know of) where a debuff will go to the NPC space or the Player space.
    Sancus likes this.
  6. Cloud the Third Augur

Not sure if I even believe this post considering you had an npc that was getting buff blocked by PC spells than couldn't cast an NPC mount spell on his self.
  7. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Here is my guess.

55 is the number of dots, 42 is the number of debuffs that dont damage but can add damage. Such as alliances, reverse ds etc.
  8. Kinadorm Augur

Is there technical reason all 97 slots arent visible? I would love to be able to see all the debuffs on the mob.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

From what a previous (no longer works at DP) dev told me when I was investigating it years back, NPCs are only supposed to have 55 debuff slots. However, due to a bug they also get the additional 42 slots from player buffs which they decided not to fix because it was beneficial if unintended.

The reason we only see 55 is because that is all that were supposed to exist and the code expects 55. The additional 42 slots are in a whole different section of code and thus aren't exposed to be visible and it would require a lot of work to make visible. <- I don't know how much of that still applies to current day but I assume it is still valid.
    enclee, Mithra, Axxius and 4 others like this.
  10. Kontra Augur

I'd like to know how those "hidden" slots work/interact when it comes to dps abilities also. Does this mean if I am holding my monk Covenant (alliance) when a boss is bufflocked (waiting for a slot to open up) I am doing so for nothing? If the hidden slots can still fulminate alliances, I've been waiting for nothing
  11. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Yes.

**snicker**

**chuckle**

**laugh**'

**falls over laughing**

...sorry, that was insensitive of me. I apologize.

**snort**
    bajoran, Allayna and Duder like this.
  12. Szilent Augur

they work totally fine. the only way they're different is that you can't see their icons.
    Allayna and Yinla like this.
  13. Lianeb Augur

/inspectbuff will list them all so they are exposed somehow to the UI. They just are not displayed.
    Would be nice if inspecting gave a total count of buffs so you could tell semi quickly if it’s buff locked, before casting and getting bounced.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Exposed to a command doesn't mean it is exposed to the UI
  15. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I'd not really recommend anyone use inspectbuffs to see if slots are full, even if the output would display a number or verbiage that slots are full. The reason why should be obvious, many debuffs are only on the target for a very brief period of time.

There could potentially be a benefit in a person using the command to see if certain debuffs are on the mob or not, especially if it was an important debuff that is absolutely needed. But they would not be reading the output (who reads that fast?) but just doing something like setting an audio trigger for it being on as a way to confirm it.
  16. svann Augur

You could probably have gina count the output of /inspectbuffs. I forget how you do it but I once used it to see how many were using dragonscale glyph.
    ;)
  17. kimbotta Lorekeeper

You would target and use a hotkey to /inspectbuffs on players individually for the entire raid? Just to see who is using Glyph ?
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

So, what you're saying is, the devs need to add 20 more levels of the buff slot expansion to players for like 1 aa each, so that NPCs also get it? =P
  19. svann Augur

No, not using inspectbuff. DS glyph has a message when you cast it and I had gina count those. Only problem is it may miss the hall groups if they are out of range when they use it.
    Allayna likes this.