IDEA - Improvement for New People, Improve Grouping

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Genjo, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Genjo Lorekeeper

Please consider the following:

New Person Server - One server that all new people start on - this might encourage more low level grouping.

All new accounts start on the server, each charcater once hits 51 is given a quest that allow them to transfer to a new server.

This would allow new people to group up and if they found a good group of friends, they could all move to a new server. This would also encourage people who make a new alt to have an opportunity to team up.

I know this might be difficult to create, but it would allow a easier time for anyone picking up the game for the first time.

Yes would be different from TLP.
    Fanra, eepok and Duder like this.
  2. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Only if there was an option to bypass. I don't want to re-live EQ from lvl 1 to lvl 51. I want to get to level 105 or so as fast as possible so that I can start grouping with my regular group of folks.
  3. Genjo Lorekeeper

Ok course an option to bypass, maybe a NPC in tutorial which allows you to select a server for veterans who want to play on the same server as their mains
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So what happens if you make a level 1 then go heroic?

Why should you have to do a quest or talk to an NPC to be where you wanted to in the first place?
  5. Genjo Lorekeeper

To encourage people to group on same server at low levels.

The quest/npc would allow veterans to be on theri same server.

Bring back the fun to be a low level, which is working with other low levels
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That's what the TLP servers are for
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Warpeace like this.
  7. Genjo Lorekeeper

There are quite a few people who want to try the game free to pay. Why wouldnt we want to make it as accessible as possible to gain followers of the game who want to invest more and become a monthly subscriber. The grouping at low levels is what drew many of us in way back when.
  8. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I like the idea of having a "Starting Server" but I don't think it should be forced in any way. Create the server and designate it as the starting/low level server and promote it as such, but leave the option to create lvl 1's on other servers how they are now.
    Shanarias and Yinla like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Vox is listed as the perfered standard server, but it always gets lost at the bottom of the TLP servers.

Making that server a bit more visable and encouraging new/returning players to play on there would be better than creating a completely new server. Would also help their population as they level up as well.
  10. Fian Augur

I like the idea of a newbie server, but some concerns:
    • 1-50 isn't an issue, just use a wiz merc on burn AE to breeze through those levels. It is actually 50-100 where it is more difficult, so I would have this newbie server be for 1-100.
    • Biggest drawback of a server switch is lost friends. No way around this, and players can mitigate it by choosing to move to the same server at the same time.
    • Unlike the proposal above, newbie server should only be an option, not a place where players are forced to create new players.
    • Obviously, transfer from newbie server to another live server would be free. If a player wanted to remain on newbie server indefinitely (with level 100 cap) that should be allowed.
  11. Whulfgar Augur

Thats 100% exactly what TLP server's are for. I for one don't see a need for what your proposing.
  12. sandof New Member

eh tlp are about reliving the old days not really about new players
  13. Genjo Lorekeeper

TLP is for paying customer, if you are trying to turn free to play right now no option
  14. Windance Augur

I'd like to see them try to implement something like WOW's cross server mission queue. That way all the LFG people can get picked up from a bigger pool.
    Stephen51 likes this.
  15. Stephen51 Augur

Windance said "I'd like to see them try to implement something like WOW's cross server mission queue. That way all the LFG people can get picked up from a bigger pool. "
    This. A lot of people are not new, they are returning. If it were me, I dont know that I would want to re-roll and move servers. To be able to pick up and find a cross server group might be a way to get players caught up to the end game. I like it.
  16. Genjo Lorekeeper

There is no re-rolling needed, all charcaters would be granted a free transfer of theri current guy to a new server of their choice once they reach a specific level.

Of course you would still have the option to be on whatever server you wanted as an experienced player, but any new player would be funneled to a sigle server.

We talk about wanting to make the game more popular to bring in more people, but what are we doing to facilitate it.

When i came back after a long break, I found myself alone with almost no one to group with. I am more hard headed than most and I stuck it out to be high enough now to group with other people.

Grouping with other people is what made me be "hooked" on everquest, it is the friendship the laughter that got me so hooked that I tried coming back after 8 years.

Why would we all not get behind an idea to create the same experience for the next round of MMORPG player that has heard of eq but never played. They might enjoy the second coming and depth, if we fostered them.

I appreciate all the feedback, thank you for taking time to hear my idea out.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You have an idea. And one that has been brought up over and over for years to be honest.

I would argue that while your idea has some merit it may still not be the ideal way to go. Yes it solves a grouping issue but that is it and ONLY if there are enough folks to make it viable.

I also do not see Darkpaw investing in a new server for free to play folks. It would still be a subscription only server and that is already being fufilled by TLP servers. Darkpaw is not dumb some would just live on their FTP new player server. The idea is to get folks to sub.

I also think that for those coming back to EQ after many years that more benefit from the knowledge and of existing players on regular or TLP servers. Most servers have guilds very friendly to new players who will take them in and help them out. I have worked at recruiting low level folks for a while and by keeping at it I find its possible to keep a viable population of lower level folks down to level 50 or so. Below that folks level so fast (especially with the aid of MGBs) that I look at up to level 50 as an extended tutorial.

What would probably be a better solution is just let folks on Live servers start at level 50 if they want to. I don't think its needed because you can level up to that very quickly but it might capture the folks that are afraid to try or who think leveling from 1 to 50 will be similar to how it was 15 years ago.

In the end I think if they can ever manage a consolidation of live servers with mergers that that will go further to help new players get groups then a new player server.
  18. Shanarias Augur

My beef with starting at level 50 is that, like myself, there are players who do not play all that well. I find that it is imperative to learn how to play my character and class as best as possible, or one will soon find themselves being a pariah, and once more, no one to group with. In this, I know whereof I speak. Once you demonstrate incompetence, groups become much more difficult to find. So start at level 1 and learn how to play your toon well. :)
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You still have from 50 to 115 to learn your toon. Let's remember that on Live servers if you are actually grouping in the level 50 range the game will be extremely forgiving.

By big argument against instant 50 is that you can get that level in very little time anyway. And to be honest you can do that without knowing your class all that well.
  20. Whulfgar Augur

Of if they implemented some type of "ranking" system.. in a way as to make it impossible for even people of the same level to grp with each other in harder content unless their all close to each other in that ranking system.

If something like that was to come i to play i would not be opposed to letting new people start 10 lvls lower then current max. They just then have to learn how to play their class and build up their rank to grp in current content. But in older content like expansion orr 2 behind anything goes.