In reply to suggestions to return/start on Mangler...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Paincake, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Paincake Elder

You're all full of …….

I played on Mangler last year when it started, up until mid Kunark. Raided, all that fun stuff. It was a riot. Nearly a dozen picks open in Hole, Guk, Chardok, etc. So many people LFG you had to specify class and level to keep from overloading your search results. It was the true TLP experience. Had to quit due to time restraints unfortunately.

Well, since the month of February was a let-down, hoping for news of a new TLP release....lots of people (especially ones on Mangler that didn't want their server to die) suggested to go play on Mangler and NOT release a new TLP.

Due to the delay on a TLP release, and hankering for some more EQ, my friend and I decided to re-roll on Mangler (instead of continuing our original characters -- still might be an option though).

The experience so far, for 35 levels has been horrible compared to a fresh TLP. Forming groups has been....challenging. You're damn lucky to fill a balanced group, and this is by sending people tells that aren't LFG, as your searches for actual LFG players turns up maybe 1-3 people around your level, if you're lucky. Need a tank, healer, or chanter? Tough. Deal with it. We never would have made it this far if we weren't boxing a cleric and druid, and twinked all to hell.

There just isn't enough population to recommend Mangler (or any other current TLP) for a decent leveling experience. Just a /who all <your level> results in less than 10 players total....every time. And most of those are OFFLINE in the Bazaar.

Maybe it's all top heavy, and everyone is 65 and just raiding?

How can you recommend that everyone who wants a new TLP go to Mangler (or other TLP)? Seems a bit selfish, because you know they are going to have issues with leveling.

My friend and I are going to stick with it though, because it honestly appears we are the only people forming up groups, as those people who join us are grateful. Poor souls. This isn't how the TLP experience works.

I suppose it is true that these TLP's die after <expansion>.
  2. Conscript Journeyman

3. tofu stir fry Augur

every tlp or live server is like this as it ages .... buck up camper git r dun and than you to can sit afk in bazaar
    Fraggly likes this.
  4. Paincake Elder

Before your sarcasm, did you even read the whole post? Or is reading comprehension difficult for you?
    The point of the post is that even before DPG delayed the next TLP release, there were many people saying, "Just go play on Mangler." Were you one of those people? Because this is not very good advice, and it in no way is even close to the play experience of a new TLP - therefore not a substitute.
  5. taliefer Augur

yes.

the days of ANY server having a healthy population from level 1 to whatever the current cap is are long gone. you either keep relatively current to the level cap, or you get left behind.

people suggest Mangler because its the easiest to get caught up on of the current servers. it has a good exp rate, and there are people leveling alts. its not what id call a vibrant low level scene, but its there moreso than on other servers
    Tymeless likes this.
  6. Paincake Elder

I get that. Good explanation.

But it also just shows the necessity of a new TLP on a regular basis for those of us who enjoy the social aspect of the leveling process.
  7. Dresden Journeyman

That's nonsense you come to a server that had pop unlocked two weeks ago and expect people to be lvling alts in lower guk? Everyone's busy with planes stuff. Demanding a new server cause you can't find a group is idiotic
    tofu stir fry likes this.
  8. Runes Augur

So what you are missing is all of the really good XP camps will be open to you and your friend who can duo together to reach max level rather fast and you can most likely join a good guild with people that will be leveling alts, that could help a guild mate.
    Try that for the next three months until the new TLPs launch like they announced would happen.
    Risiko and Tymeless like this.
  9. MMOer Augur

I played every TLP that released. People saying roll on a old TLP are full of it or like to solo.

I and most normal players like to PUG... PICK UP GROUP... to PUG anything, exp, raid, faction, anything you need other people to play. The ONLY time EQ has enough players to PUG reliably is when the server is < 3 months old. Ideally during the first month.

I played Mangler. Life (and wow classic) pulled me away. I want to play again but am forced to wait for the next TLP.

Of course with my luck by the time they get around to opening a new one life will pull me away again.
  10. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Every time I've logged in my shaman+Warrior duo since pop has launched there's been at least two picks in velks and I've been able to group up almost immediately, similarly in lguk before that.
    Tymeless likes this.
  11. Paincake Elder

6:03PM EST 3/3/2020:
    5 - people in LGuk including me. Obviously no picks.
    2 - people between 30 and 40 that are LFG (not including me - 35)
    0 - people 10 - 30 LFG
    12 - level 30's online - 3 offline
    4 - 31's
    6 - 32's - 2 offline
    4 - 33's - 1 offline
    9 - 34's - 2 offline
    9 - 35's - 3 offline
    8 - 36's - 1 offline
    11 - 37's - 1 offline
    5 - 38's - 1 offline
    4 - 39's - 1 offline
    10 - 40's - 1 offline
    5 - people LFG between 40 and 50.
    6 - people LFG between 50 and 60.
    7 - people LFG between 60 and 64.
    12 - people LFG at level 65.

That's data. Period. Yes, there's probably a few people that are anon that don't show up on the searches. But this is what I have to work with.

These results are crazy. I mean, is it doable? Sure, for the dedicated (which I am trying to be). But to consider this real activity is like having a fishing pond with 5 fish in it and saying it's ready to be fished.

No the server isn't exactly dead. There is action going on. But it's pretty slim. It is absolutely not a substitute for a new TLP. I mean yes, that's obvious without the data. But again.....that's what people were arguing and recommending. Would you like for me to spend some time finding those quotes?
    Kluien likes this.
  12. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Nothing will beat a new TLP feel.

Too many issues with joining a TLP already in progress..... always the same outcome it's dead until you reach high levels, then folks only want to level with max level type characters because it's easier to gain AAs that way.
  13. That0neguy Augur

Forced is a strong word.
  14. Pikles Journeyman

I think you are looking for a fresh TLP experience and not really EQ. You can solo to max level in EQ with almost any class, you just have to go out of your way to do it (And it's not easy depending on the class and gear). I've been leveling alts and having fun the last few months waiting for announcements, found several groups in Unrest, lguk, PC, etc.. Hell even grouped with someone in SOLA!

In fact in Unrest we had 2 picks open a few weekend nights to support the 3-5 groups that were rotating around. This of course is all about what time you show up, I got on really early EST one Saturday morning and only 3 people were in Unrest. Took about 20 minutes before another guy my exact level showed up and we started a group together.

POP Just came out, you can't expect people to be leveling alts right now either!

I think one of the bigger issues I've noticed in most games is that not everyone has LFG tagged. In EQ you can be tradeskilling, buying/selling, purchasing spells for the next levels, grinding something stupid for some quest, etc.. But not be opposed to a group if one came your way. I've always had really good experience just sending tells to put groups together on any game or server.

You are way luckier than some people where you actually have a friend playing with you, just play complementary classes and be done with it. You say you have trouble putting a well rounded group together? Well why don't you both just play a well rounded duo? Enc/Cleric can duo just about anything a group can. Sham/Monk or Sham/SK can duo really well, and there are tons of other options!
  15. ntellect Augur

Funny. I came back to Mangler on Jan 3 2020 as a Paladin and was able to find groups almost every single night. The times I didn’t group I didn’t think I had enough time to contribute. LFG is ok but wouldn’t depend on it. If you want a group you have to lead one not just make it. I start by saying hello to the whole server. I then say what I plan to do or ask for recommendations. Somewhere between figuring out how to get to the zone and actually traveling there I’ll get a tell.

I was Pauldron Caves or whatever from like 7 until my teens. Picked up many groups in Unrest upstairs and even saw the dungeon basement through that trap door. I was asked to join someone in solB. And just last night I put together a group who agreed to go to guthatk.

Each time I’m in these groups they easily fill up because people want to XP. Second the groups kill so fast that it’s hard for me to sign off.

My experience for 32 levels has been the most fun I’ve had playing EQ on and off. And the community and grouping is what brings me back, especially considering how hard it is to level a paladin solo. So it makes grouping all that more important.

But my goal isn’t to group. It’s actually to get Paladin to max level. And that’s what allows me to appreciate the down time with the good time.

What are you actually playing for? That will define your experience way more than finding a group.
    Risiko likes this.
  16. Paincake Elder

Let me be clear...I'm not LFG. We are the ones forming the groups and inviting others. I mean it's working, we are filling a group every night and still having fun. We might be the only group in the zone, but we are doing it.

Again, the point isn't about finding groups personally. We will make due. Always have, always will. It's about suggesting that another fresh TLP isn't needed - that Mangler is sufficient. Comparing the massive population of a fresh TLP to current Mangler is ridiculous. Remember, this is an MMORPG ("massive multiplayer"). If all you are doing is soloing, duoing with a buddy, or grouping with the same people every night, you're not understanding the concept of socialization in an mmo. Might as well go play a private server or something with it's 100 people population. It's more than just filling a slot in a group.

EQ has by far the BEST socialization of any mmo ever released. Yes, even more so than WoW or FFXIV. The types of people that play EQ generally usually fall into the category of wanting to group, rather than needing to. Conversations are constantly happening in group settings. Jokes are being made, arguments, etc. It's full of life socially. Well, on a new (pre-Luclin) TLP anyway.

Again, the groups we have made, have been lifelike. It's been fun and great. I hope it lasts and/or gets better. But it's a far cry from the chaos of a new TLP.
  17. sumnayin Augur

6 to 8 months ago I suggested not doing a fresh TLP to replace Mangler, yet doing a TLP designed to merge into Mangler. No one cared...so I have no pity for Mangler eventually dying due to people leaving to join a fresh TLP. Imagine going into PoP with a fresh server merging in with hundreds of people...oh well, whatever.
  18. Mrjon3s Augur

This makes no sense. So 6 to 8 months ago you wanted them to make another TLP to take away population from mangler so they could merge it with mangler once mangler got to pop? What expansion would you have had this merger server be at when it merged in?
  19. Rotlust Augur

Ehem . . . this is why we need a seasonal server that resets NOT new servers every year.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Shiba Journeyman

Did you actually think you would see the same amount of people leveling? If you and your friend both play a box problem solved.