Overseer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jontrann, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You need to be level 85 to use the Overseer. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what level above that you are you can get any of the rewards.

You open the overseer tab and it gives you a window, with quests on the right hand side, once you have done the tutorial you have 10 agents who work for you, you send them off to complete quests. Each quest has a set of reward that you can preview, some have 3 some have 4 others have 12 options.

You cannot send them off to farm what you like but some of what you want maybe rewarded in one of the options, you get to preview the rewards before chosing the quest.

You can do upto 5 quests at a time and the completion times (after tutorial) are 6, 12 or 24 hours. Tutorial quests take 5 seconds to complete and are really easy to work out, having never done anything like this before, I managed to work it out and if I can anyone can.

It costs nothing to do any of the quest I have done so far, I've never done this before as I don't play other PC games so I am still learning.

There is a stat page so you increase stats each quest you complete, agents seem to level but i've not done enough quests to see how that works.

Exp gain from a quest reward got me .5 % at level 100, so not a huge amount that is going to break the game.

The Overseer system is server wide, so you cannot have it running on 2 chars on the same server, but you can continue/claim the rewards on a different char to the one you started on.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I got mine in my inventory, but they don't apear to work, or I'm doing something wrong.

Try using find for dispenser or Overseer.
  3. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

In EQ2, the Overseer was account wide, not character based. So, I can only assume it'll be like that here.
  4. Quatr Augur

Quests vary quite a bit. Most are "common", some are "uncommon", a few are "rare". They have different risk-vs-reward ratios. For example, XP rewards can be 0.28% of the level, 0.5% of the level or 1% of the level. The rewards are also very different. Some quests only give a certain type of "overseer experience" (there are many types) as the reward. Others offer up to 12 different types of rewards, including trade skill items and regular XP.

The risk associated with sending overseer "agents" on a quest is that some of them can get hurt and become incapacitated for a certain number of hours, e.g. 36 hours. You can spend DB cash to affect quests, e.g. you can make a quest complete immediately instead of waiting for 12 hours.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Daedly Augur

That is beginning to sound wayyyyyy to close to stupid mobile games.

Please oh please EverQuest, don't let this system start affecting design decisions for drop rates and other things.
    Vumad and Duder like this.
  6. Riou EQResource

Well if they keep to the "catch up" style, it should be ok, the only worrying thing is if F2P accounts can use it and it dropping current Tradeskill materials or Collectibles, will basically kill the market on those items
  7. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

*** Yinla already described it so ill remove mine, didn't see his post ***
  8. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

So far its like 1 count of a few tradeskill items from the expac you chose the reward from, after a 12 or 24 hours timer and only if you succeed. In this current form, and Overseer being either account wide/server wide [not sure which yet] I just dont see it as a real viable alternative to farming for selling ... just a stop gap for people suffering bad RNGesus trying to get that one item to drop to finish the combine.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Anyone have an answer for this?

Edit: Yinla typed this: "It costs nothing to do any of the quest I have done so far, I've never done this before as I don't play other PC games so I am still learning"

It would be cool if it stayed free.
  10. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Yinla said it ...

Others have said you can use DBG cash to insta-complete a quest.
  11. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Fortunately the timers and 5/5 quests at a time, will keep this from being a "WoW Garrisons Loot Pinata". Sure there will always be a few TryHards that will log in using a popup kitchen timer on the desk to maximize "Flipping" time on quests across 10 accounts. But Joe Average will at best flip quests once a day and usually forget half the time. I honestly feel that the DEV's are very aware of WoW Garrisons and the problems that they caused and will keep Overseer a smarter feature then that.
  12. Khat_Nip Meow

A few minutes after the Test server came up (a few days ago) I ran one Overseer quest and it completed shortly after.
    Now any time I invoke the /overseer window days later I get the following:

[IMG]

Is this functioning correctly?
  13. Qbert Gallifreyan

Did you claim your quest reward? (You may need to open the quest reward window if it is just waiting for you). If you did not claim the reward, you did not get the next quest.
  14. Khat_Nip Meow

The Reward window just has the exact same 6 that my Live toon has. Not sure what's up with this.
  15. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ya the only thing I could suggest would be to re-copy or copy a different character. When I was testing the first night it was out on Test, PoK was repeatedly crashing, and every time I logged back in I was rolled back before a quest I just finished. It wouldn't shock me if your character is just in a bad state where it recognized the completion but didn't grant the reward.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Finish the tutorial and it stops doing it.
  17. Grabatz Lorekeeper

Well i did use 'inventory find' and the dispensers couldn't be found.

For my next batch of jobs/quests i noted which ones gave the selected rewards and which ones didn't.

Selected a dispenser-type reward:
    "Corflunk and Zarchoommi" - nothing in the inventory!
    "Guard for the Day" - the dispenser was in the inventory
    "Side Business" - the dispenser was in the inventory

Of course the dispensers are non-functional, but i attribute this to the testing and the proposed wiping of Overseer data upon the next patch level syncing of test and live.

By the way, i had a similar effect with TS item rerwards:
    "Dark Delivery" put the selected TS items (Conflagrant) in my inventory and
    "Strange Parts" didn't (also Conflagrant).

I hope this works reliably when Overseer goes live!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Borm_of_fv like this.
  18. Quatr Augur

Right. You can also use DBG cash to insta-heal any agents that get injured (and put out of commission for 2-72 hours) during a quest. In other words, if you are willing to throw a lot of money at the Overseer system, you can get pretty much everything that it has to offer very quickly.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm curious...other than assigning agents to tasks and/or paying DBC to ensure success...is there any actual interaction from players on this? Or is it just a matter of starting a task and then hoping and praying for a good run with the RNG?

If it's just a /random command with bells and whistles, it sounds like a waste of dev resources that could be spent actually fixing bugs in the game we have.
    PCSS likes this.
  20. Quatr Augur

You have to make various choices when sending Overseer "agents" on a quest and when selecting quest rewards. Off the top of my head:

1. You only have so many agents, so you need to decided which quests to send them on.
    2. High reward quests are also associated with a higher risk of agent injury and incapacitation. Do you want to chance it or do you want to do a low risk/low reward quest instead?
    3. Different quests have different reward options, so you need to decide what you value more at this point in your career.
    4. Some quests do not help you in-game, but have a chance of improving your Overseer abilities.
    There may be more choices that become available as you level Overseer up.
    Yinla likes this.