Who to contact about possible account hack?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Feb 23, 2020.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Hi all,

I just got an email from dontreply@daybreakgames.com thanking me for a krono-purchase.

I have not purchased Krono in years, so likely scam or account-theft.

As I have a lot of accounts, I am not sure which account it is for.

Who do I contact, and what are the best actions to do?
  2. Grove Augur

To my knowledge the only interaction that gets a personal reply is a petition. This would be other than a personal message to a developer. But that does not seem appropriate in this situation.
    Sancus likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you log into each account it should should a Krono on any character on the inventory screen. And Krono are account wide so you only need to log into one character each account.

After checking there then I would log into each account management or your credit card accounts and see if any have purchases there.

If you petition and suggest fraud right away then they might shut down your accounts for the investigation.

Plus it would look better if you said you checked your accounts and could tell them that there is A) a fraudulent purchase or B) No purchase history and if there is a purchase and you didn't make it then you can tell them which account it is on.
  4. svann Augur

First thing you should do is check the CC you have associated with the accounts and see if there was a charge on it. If not, then its likely a fishing attempt.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The email of dontreply makes it sound like it is a fishing attempt as the real email should be donotreply, or at least that is what it used to be.
    Nolrog, CatsPaws and svann like this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It goes without saying, but change your password immediately.

I've almost been inattentive that I've nearly used my email/password combo to register on fan sites.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If it isn't a phishing scam, it will have the order number for you to give CS:

Thank you for your purchase!

Thanks for your recent purchase. This email serves as a confirmation of your purchase. Keep reading to see what you got!

Order Number: ##########
    DAYBREAK CASH PURCHASES
    Daybreak Cash Funding Purchase for EverQuest $5.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $5.00

Thanks!
    This is an automated email so don’t reply.
    Daybreak
    https://daybreakgames.com
  8. Ghubuk Augur

The donotreply email is the one they use to send you a purchase confirmation. The email would be to the account it was purchased on and would have the account name right in the salutation.
  9. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Go straight to the FBI or FCC. The DEA may be applicable if you think they're laundering drug money via kronos. Take no chances - don't let those Nigerian princes get away with this.

In all seriousness, it's obviously a phishing scam if it's from "dontreply" and not "donotreply". I doubt your accounts were compromised and they need a fair bit more than your email address to steal your password. Ignore it or err on caution and change your PWs.
  10. Nolrog Augur

I checked my e-mail. Purchasing the TOV expansion it said Dear <Account Name> but when I purchased Krono it just said thank you for purchasing Krono (similar to yepmetoo). Mine came from donotreply@ as well. The dontreply is suspicious. Is there a link in the mail that says something like if you did not make this purchase click here? A phishing attempt would typically include that.

Also, if you reply to the mail what e-mail does it go to? Did you check the headers of the message? Does it originate from Daybreak?

I would check every account to see if a purchase has been made and maybe even change the passwords as well just to be sure.

If you find the account that did purchase it, you can petition and if you can't find it, you can try to /petition on another account with that number and see if they will look it up to see if it was a valid purchase or not.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Thanks all.

I misquoted the email, it says donotreply.