EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PVPme Augur

Again, I agree with most everything you listed as they would be welcomed changes, but I don't realistically see them investing into that before the interest is proven.

A "seasonal" type PvP TLP server could allow for this. A teams style server would also greatly reduce the amount of griefing that could go on.
  2. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

EQ already has a built in version of "DR" for it's CC spells. They don't have the same duration and significantly different res checks. Pumice stones are a thing, doting yourself is a thing, most mezzes in the early expansions don't land on level capped players and the 2 that do have a long recast and shorted duration in PvP.

You can also always just /q and return home.

Already exists and is done on a spell to spell basis. Ever spell in EQ already has different resist checks in PVP. Problem is post 65 they stopped balancing for this, but it's already pretty well done until PoP and is decent in PoP(Psalm of Veeshan is OP)

Sounds dumb AF.
  3. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

Are you referring to EQ PVP servers or EQ in general? I only know the original Rallos zek rules as I played on there off and on from 99-2001 and this definitely was not the case. Unless what are you referring to is specific to EQ pvp servers now, it definitely does not exist on non-pvp servers. You can go to arena right now and perma mez someone. We were doing it to people during the last arena event i attended on mangler.

Think of DAoC (arguably the best pvp mmorpg ever made) or WoW pvp, both have DR on CC abilities despite the number of things you can use to get out of hard CC abilities.

The resist thing is again something I'm completely unaware of unless added in the last few years. From my experience a max resist person you'll never land spells on.

Losing movement speed buff when entering combat until you get out of combat, again is something very normal on PVP games and is extremely important for balance reasons.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Just straight wrong. Go to lucy and look at the raw spell data. Almost ever CC spell in EQ is on a shorted duration, not WoW style short, but shorter then normal.

And again you can do things like use pumice stones on yourself to dispel roots, you can do things like use Lich to break mez, cast a low damage long duration dot like Disease cloud to break mez, on non-team servers your friends and use throw stone ect on you. Fungi staff/torpor can be used to block certain snares ect.

And again if someone is just ccing to grief you can you have no other way out u can just /q and return home.

It's been in the game forever. In PvP you'll still land spells that are 0 MR check like 10-20% of the time on a 500Res target. But yeah this is why most people want SOV-SOL PvP and not live era, the resistance checks are just better balanced in those era because of gear.

It's normal but most of the games that employ it also have cooldown speed boosts, dashes, travel form, aspect of the cheetah ect that just don't exist in early era EQ.

Edit: let me spell it out for you since you;re bad an EQ PvP
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2493 These break Mezz
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4581 These break ever other CC that can lock you
  5. NinjutsuMMO Augur

you literally post on every PVP thread with nothing constructive to contribute, I see you all over the forums with your distaste for pvp and you clearly feel the need to share your opinion but why ?
  6. Kittany Augur

So, bards would be free kills right? :p
  7. Boosi Lorekeeper

PvP server will sell more in game store items than any non-PvP TLP to date. Financially it's the right decision.
    PVPme, Brawl and Dulu like this.
  8. Dulu Augur

It has to be done properly though.

If you just toggle PvP on, it's going to flop... hard.

Darkpaw, if you're willing to sit down with the PvP community.. we have all of the key players in one place. We have the developer of Project 1999, the entire dev staff of Rise of Zek, and all of the big names from the PvP community. We have a ton of people who have not played since the days of the Original 4 PvP servers too.

If you want to hear what the PvP community actually wants in a PVP server, we would love to have that talk.
  9. markkk Lorekeeper

how many people trully want to play on a pvp tlp or his it a case of the loud minority and some people not wanting a new tlp so their dosent colapse.
  10. Dulu Augur

We have a very large community discord, which is dedicated solely to the quest of convincing Daybreak to create a single PvP TLP server.

There is an event scheduled for February 29th, at 8pm EST --- we will all be rolling level 1 Ogres on the "Zek" server.

You have to keep in mind that the market for a PvP TLP is not able to post on these forums, and likely not playing EQ Live or TLP. They are on private servers or retired, and would love to come back for an official EQ TLP PvP server.
  11. Kittany Augur

Keep in mind, this is just my snarkyness coming out. But I suspect one of the main reasons many of the 'regulars' around here would not want a PvP TLP is because they would have a more difficult time farming krono. Afterall, a new TLP gives them a fresh fertile server to farm (For fun and profit) and us pesky Peekayers would just get in the way of that margin. :p
  12. Dulu Augur

Yeah, the emotional, and often irrational arguments against a PvP server definitely seem to stem from fear.

For those who enjoy the economy aspect of TLP's, they need to understand that a PvP economy is very different from a PvE server.

Things like bartering are more common. Raw kronos trading and fixed prices will become much less regular.

Faction access to certain items will also create a difference in prices across factions. One team may pay a lot for an item found in another factions territory.
  13. Dulu Augur

14. johnnie Journeyman

most of the people playing on mangler arent krono farmers neither em i,love another server like mangler where people are actually playing and spending money on everquest so please release a blue server like mangler with nontruebox and throw a bone to the pvp crowd and give them a pvp server because i would hate to see just a pvp server wich would force us poor carebears to have to play on it because its a new server.
  15. Stagentti Augur

Why are they not able to post on these forums?
  16. johnnie Journeyman

actually instead of making lvl 1 orcs why not make lvl 85 and show darkpaw your commitment on zek.
  17. Vexn Elder

Darkpaw already recognized Live & TLPs are basically two different games with two different communities. This request was ridiculous in the first place since it contradicts exactly what the Devs know to be true. TLP players aren't interested in playing EverQuest past a certain point, the PvP player base is no different.

The PvP servers all got merged and basically destroyed at level 70, so why would any PvP TLP advocate have any interest at all in playing Live EverQuest? Its a completely different game from what we remember with 0 changes to foster PvP. At least the early iterations of EverQuest tried to do things to keep the PvP community around.
  18. Stagentti Augur

Then what is the point of making lvl 1's at this event? To show them you can get X number of people to login for a 1 time thing? How does that show them there is a large interest in a PVP server?

There's a difference between logging in to check out some event (I know myself and a few others that are going to cause while I don't PVP I'm curious to see how it shakes out) and people being willing to pay a subscription, and keep it going for months, on a dedicated server.

I also get PVP folks don't want to play on Zek. It sounds like a lousy place. That being said:

Why is there this attitude that you're being asked to dedicate 15 years of your life to Zek?

Get a big group together and suck it up for 4 months. Or even 3 months. Then you can clearly say you have X # of people interested in PVP on a regular basis. And they played PVP DESPITE their only option being a terrible PVP server.

That would show DPG that you have a significant # of people dedicated to PVP and no one could keep going "only 2 of you want to PVP".

Like I said I get that Zek seems to suck but that 3 months of work will do a lot more than a one time event of lvl 1 ogres and years of forum posts.
    Meridian and code-zero like this.
  19. PVPme Augur

This has already been done as many people here have listed off successful EQ PVP private servers. (VZTZ/p99Red/Roz1/Roz2/eqpvpZek)

These private servers had from 200-800 players in their peak and many of them last longer then 3-4 months. This proves if done right there is 100% a community interested. The new EQ TLP PVP discord already has 200+ members and its only been like a week?

I see no reason to not try a PvP server for this community. Think about it the last TLP that no one asked for Miragul has less 50 people in the general chat on a daily basis. Its clear they are willing to try new things, why not at least try something new for an actually community that exist and aren't currently playing any Darkpaw games servers then recycling the same TLP player base?
  20. Stagentti Augur

DPG doesn't care about private servers. They want data on people playing on their servers which is why they clearly said Zek.

So no - what I said literally has not been done.

Why is this such a terrible idea to the point it won't be tried?

"Get a big group together and suck it up for 4 months. Or even 3 months. Then you can clearly say you have X # of people interested in PVP on a regular basis. And they played PVP DESPITE their only option being a terrible PVP server"

It is temporary and would not let the Devs hide behind that rationale for not doing one anymore.

Side question - do those private servers have the QOL updates that DPG servers have? What % of people on those private servers would be ok with the changes? I know some people on p99 who will not play TLPs because of them including lack of corpse runs, xp rates, store items, etc. How many people playing on free servers will drop $ for a TLP?

Edit: PVP TLP also wouldn't be the dame as those private servers due to class changes, balances, spell changes, etc.

(Edited a section out to not give people ideas about discord)

"I see no reason to not try a PvP server for this community. "

And I see no reason to not play Zek for 3 months to throw that demand back at the Devs and be like "done...you're move".
    code-zero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.