What if no class ever got nerfed?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Renotaki, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Renotaki Elder

I asked this question to my guild once as a conversation starter. If no class ever got nerfed in the history of EQ, which class would be the most powerful overall? Assume older skills that got nerfed or discontinued would continue getting upgrades to stay current if needed (like in the case of the damage that old wizard manaburn used to do to to raid boss up).

As an example, I'd throw in one of my guesses. I think zerks are a strong contender because if nothing ever got nerfed on them then current zerkers would have access to prenerf power unlimited target melee AEs, pre-nerf decap, and the increased flurry power that was only around for a short time during COTF when the devs were messing with it. They'd also be able to do this with the 100% up time version of Disconcerting. Also their dissident could be twin-casted.

I don't know every change ever made in EQ (I've only been playing since ROF) so someone who knows the game history and classes very well may be able to play this game better than I can. This isn't meant to incite class arguments or invite nerf calls for existing player power- it's just a "What if" conversation in the same tone as asking if history went differently at pivotal moments in real life.
  2. feeltheburn Augur

MONKS WOULD RULE THE WORLD
    Renotaki likes this.
  3. Derd Augur

The answer to that is, trash mobs would have raid boss hp and effects, and raids would start at uee on steroids.
    Daedly likes this.
  4. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Everyone would still be lvl 55 because bards would have every mob in every zone pulled and being killed for massive solo exp.
  5. RPoo Augur

Enchanters would be able to dps better, tank and not seem to take any damage, never run out of mana, and spam heal themselves pretty much instantly
    Tyreel, Maedhros and Renotaki like this.
  6. Sobmre Augur

there would be x10 the player population
    Skewert and Miss_Jackie like this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is really impossible to say because we can't say how things would have scaled and interacted with each other.
  8. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

You're really bad at IRL games requiring imagination, aren't you?
  9. Renotaki Elder

One other thing I forgot to mention for my zerkers canidate pick is that melee crit damage used to stack at once up until about halfway through TDS. so, if you factor that in with everything else I listed up above, I think it's safe to say that Zerk AE burn against DB mobs with heads would be totally horrifying if they had support lol

In this theoretical world, SK epic would also be pre-nerf so they could team up with one to really pull all the mobs to make use of all those stacking mods.
  10. Maedhros High King

ChanterGodMode wins for sure. Not even close really.
    Vumad, RPoo and Hellowhatsyourname like this.
  11. Tyreel Augur

Assuming we get the most powerful versions of any ability that has existed. On top of the basics RPoo mentioned...

Enchanters had access to instant cast and refresh unresistable mez with no level cap and no mana cost. Charm that would make all servers essentially free trade. Forced Chromatic Haze procs with an all wiz/mage group. Ten minute duration lull spells. Mez extension working on AE mez spells giving us PBAE Mez with 30s~ duration. Being able to take 2/3 Death Touches from Breakneck and not die during TSS Era was pretty nice too.

Our Doppelganger pets still being able to cast from our spell bar selection would lead to ... Your pet having a charmed mob that had a player charmed as a pet. If the NPC that controlled another player died from dots it killed and deleted the charmed players corpse.
    Or your Doppelganger pet could charm a raid mob and if dots would cause the raid script to update boom zone crash.

PvP charm and fear was funny before it was nerfed.

I am sure some other classes would be massively overpowered dps.
    Skewert, RPoo and Renotaki like this.
  12. Litefighter Lorekeeper

[IMG]

No, no they wouldn't. They would be worse off.
  13. kizant Augur

They should make a server like this just to show people how bad the game would be. Every class could pick like 5 things they want returned to a broken state.
    Skewert, RPoo and Derd like this.
  14. Mazame Augur

Some people say that Hell level were nerfed....... so...... bring back hell levels ?
    Renotaki likes this.
  15. Bamboompow Augur

WoW Everquest Classic.
  16. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Shaman's had God Mode for a while as well. My vote is either Shaman or Chanter, having an unkillable class is pretty OP lol
    RPoo likes this.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It would be Enchanters. No question. It wouldn't even be close.
    Mazame and RPoo like this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

If no classes ever got nerfed, designers would be more constrained about buffs and new abilities they could give classes and the game would be more bland overall.
  19. Sigpa0s Journeyman

If no class ever got nerfed, this game would be Skyrim.
  20. Bamboompow Augur

Everyone would sneak and be max archery? Or max illusion with frenzy?
    Skewert likes this.