Can anyone recommend a laptop that doesn’t overheat?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Bamboompow Augur

This isn't a right or wrong topic. Its purely subjective. Many laptops will do the 6 box thing to some degree. Probably the cheapest laptop at the big yellow pricetag will 6 box, although compared to a desktop..... If that works for you, great. Of course there are many variables and a blanket statement won't work here. You can add monitors, mice, keyboards etc to laptops all day long. If you don't need the mobility however, than why bother? Might as well get a desktop.

My only angle on this is when you are on the road (unless you choose to use laptops exclusively for gaming which is a choice and one I personally would NOT make because I detest the ergonomics of laptops) and the thing goes TU when you are 2000 miles from home, its nice when the manufacturer has your back no questions asked.

That's all.

You and I agree on almost nothing, Smokezz. *shrug* It won't be the first time you call me out. ;)

Tappin might just be doing this to see if it can be done, and not for actual pragmatic reasons.
  2. Buri Augur

About a year ago, I bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 15" laptop, i7 with 16G RAM and a 6G gtx1060. Added a 1TB SSD HD to it. The most I've run is 2 instances of EQ on it, and while it does get hot, it has never overheated on any game. It has twin turbo fans that adapt to the load. I can recommend this one, they're not terribly expensive for what you get, I think I paid $799 after watching sales for about 2 months.
  3. svann Augur

16GB, SSD, as big a screen as you can get.
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

As for Alienware... They definitely have some thermal paste issues on their recent laptops. https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware if you buy one and are comfortable with taking it apart to repaste. If you do, it'll work perfectly well. I've got a 17R3 (4 years old now), never had to repaste, never had heat issues. I was lucky enough to not have the factory thermal paste issues.

And of course, if you don't NEED a laptop, why would you play on one?
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

My MacBook pro has 16gb of DDR3 RAM with a SSD so it's very possible that your limiting factor in EverQuest is your RAM and not the GPU. Although not having a GPU means there is additional load on your already loaded CPU so I'm not disagreeing with you.

Did you read the parts in my post about eGPUs? You didn't acknowledge it in your reply. eGPUs are beast in performance and no laptop with a dGPU can compete with an otherwise similar spec with an eGPU.

Here is a start for some information. https://egpu.io/best-laptops-external-gpu/

I completely understand that this may not be the solution for you. I am actually going to say that you should consider very carefully because there are some technology limitations. Still, just saying take the time to read up on eGPU.

The main reason I am not investing into a more compatible device for my eGPU is I can build a node 202 to travel with for half the price as a laptop.
  6. Ibudin Augur

ASUS ROG Strix G G731GU - 17.3" FHD - i7-9750H - NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti - 16GB - 512GB SSD
    I have two of those lap tops, they can run 3 accounts each no problem. Never overheat on EQ.
  7. Tappin Augur

The surface pro was just an example and I don’t regularly play eq on it. And without a discrete GPU, my guess is 16 GB may be pushing it. I honestly don’t think a need a halo product to avoid heat issues.

I’m married with two young kids and have two huskies (one is 80 lbs and not once of fat on him). I am burnt out dealing with computers that require a forklift to move. I just want something I can put away at the end of they day and forget about it.

I assumed that the Alienware laptop just needed new thermal paste, but I was wrong. The thermal pad on cooler had no indention on it. Good indication it wasn’t making proper contact (probably to small).

One of the laptops I was looking at was the Helos, but small battery is a bit concerning.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

Just use a desktop..

The type of laptops your looking at to run that many accounts is going to be vastly more expensive then just getting an average desktop for the same buck.
    Zamiam likes this.
  9. Bamboompow Augur

A solid core 6 panel interior door at Blowes or Homer = 150 dollars.
    A entry door lockset = 30 dollars (for a sorta nice one but not too nice).
    A deadbolt costs another 30 dollars. (again, sorta nice but not too extravagant)
    Telling your spouse that the kids and dogs are not allowed in the room where the computer is = free.
    If the family really really needs to violate your sanctuary, they can text!

If you are handy and can install the door/locks yourself, that's clocking in well under $1200

Plenty of people I know establish areas in their home where the chaos of the rest of the house is not allowed and strictly enforce it. Sometimes it ends up being a separate building even. Friend of mine does his gaming in a finished/heated detached garage. No wife, kids or pets allowed. Does wonders.
    Vumad likes this.
  10. Tappin Augur

I am looking for people to share what laptop they are using (have two suggestions so far). I am not looking for anything besides laptops. Anything else is just a troll post.
  11. Zvenn Just an old monk

i play on an alienware m17 r4 (build back in 2013) and it runs EQ like a champ (along with anything else i throw at it), i do not box or anything and just have this one monk but my experience with it has been one beast of a laptop.

so much so i have been considering sunsetting it for an alienware area51 laptop just to have something more upgraded but this thing still runs so perfectly i cant justify the cost just yet hehe. 0 heating problems, nothing major other than normal maintenance and upgrades (bios upgrade here, windows patches there)
  12. BrotherLamp New Member

6 box on Dell Precision 5530, i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Quadro P2000.
    Does not overheat but would still elevate the rear.

Sorting out the core assignment with something like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and setting the P2000 for video helped. Usually run 3-4 other VMs at the same time.
  13. Anatta Undead New Member

I have an MSI 1060. Runs 6 accounts just fine. I play on a white padded board that is thick plastic. Gives it a small gap under the laptop and allows my hand not to be next to the vent. Does just fine. If it is clocking high I restrict draw on instance of EQ and let my tank (main) have whatever is needed to run.
  14. E'ci - Knight Errant Journeyman

My highest recommendations go to:
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

EQ is much more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.
    Set each instance to a separate thread and you will box just fine, just make sure you get enough RAM.

One note - if you do set EQ to use the graphics card (instead of the onboard graphics) you will probably have the fans running constantly. Can be annoying if you don't use headphones.

This would work very well at a nice price point:
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6855.html
    Just add RAM. You can bump up the ram in the customization screen or DIY afterwards if you like.

Good luck to you!
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I play on a similar Asus Strix laptop mentioned above, no over heating issues. Do make sure you set the FPS in EQ to 30. It's set to unlimited by default when EQ sees you have beefy, modern hardware. There's no point to a high FPS in EQ.
  16. Tappin Augur

Thanks.
  17. Tappin Augur

Thanks
  18. Tappin Augur

Thanks to everyone who stayed on topic
  19. Ratha New Member

Hi, just another vote for the Acer Predator Helios, I also had the epic search for a cool laptop and have not been disappointed. I have the 500 (i7, 16gb ram, 17 inch) and 3 box on it. It sits on my lap on a cool pad, but i have not had to use the fans in the cool pad at all in over a year of use. With my old HPs it was on constantly.
    Good luck with your search.
  20. Balthen Lorekeeper

I have a Velocity Raptor I paid 1800 for and I 4 box on it all the time. It spools the fan up pretty fast but has never shut down or warned over heating.