Locked Doors. Is this a dead issue, or can we lobby for a change?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chikkin, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aluerin New Member

Honestly if they made the Pick Lock spell cast by https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=113785 a small AOE around the caster instead of a targeted spell, then it would solve the entire problem of having to target doors to unlock them.

Playing a ranger, i love to hunt and farm. It's my passion to run across an entire zone with track on just looking for something interesting to pop up so I can go investigate. Not a whole LOT, but often I'm cut short by a locked door. Though I am not deterred by this and I immediately check Allakhazam for this specific door to find a key or a way to get passed it. Almost always I am let down by "There is no key, 200+ LP required so get a bard or rogue." SO shoulders and head held low, I return to my adventure of seeking random things.

I never knew of this automated antiquity so now that I've read this thread I DESPERSATELY want one for my ranger.. Though, if I can't unlock any doors from OW where there are less people and the promises of ancient treasures, I really don't think I want it that badly. Instead of grinding out this achievement plus the 20+ items needed to make it worth a crap, I could just PL a bard on a secondary account that would provide said ability to move unhindered through locked doors PLUS have an arsenal of phat tunes hand from my SongBot3000.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Does not work on doors. You cannot target a door and then click the item.
    lockjaws likes this.
  3. Belkar_OotS Augur

Could add it as a stance to the rogue merc
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Aluerin New Member

Thatd be cool as well.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

[IMG]
    lockjaws, Warpeace, Vumad and 3 others like this.
  6. Fian Augur

Personally I think they should add some locked doors to newer expansions. IMO, though, the ideal locked door would be one that is a short cut, not the only way to get to a certain location.
  7. Allayna Augur

100% this.

Dreadspire Keep style with the formal dinner invitation preventing you from having to run through the hive.
    lockjaws and Vumad like this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have this device. If the number of locks it works on could increase...

I also have a rogue alt that solves my personal needs and is easily persuaded by coins and/or krono. :)
  9. Chikkin Augur

My fault. I read that as you saying to get the item and upgrade it since when I read the class it has it owns “upgrading path” I think I saw.

My bad, misunderstood.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

It's a clicky you can unlock your target. You need to be able to target a door to unlock it with the device.
  11. Bobokin Augur

Let's nerf Rogue and Bard abilities some more! Why not? o_O

I'd rather see Rogues and Bards be able to unlock doors in new content without a key.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Bobokin Augur

If Mages can still CoTH and Druids can still port at higher levels, why can't Rogues and Bards pick locks?
  13. svann Augur

Coth is a big help to groups you are in. Pick lock is almost 100% a help to groups you arent even a part of. That is, groups that ask in general for a lockpicker to come out to old world content and get them past a door. Not at all the same thing.
    lockjaws likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

As an ENC with project illusion...

A marketplace full of purchasable illusions makes this entire thread just absolute trash reading to me.

ENCs should be able to buy adventure illusions at vendors in every city. Other illusions should be at certain vendors or uncommon drops. A tiny few should be rare, quests or raids and of these no one else should have them.

Rogues and bards should get adventurer masks rarely from killing those races, and any other illusions should be a ton of work to obtain.

Everyone else should have to use shaman potions for adventures, and basically get no other illusions except for huge quests or raid drops.

The idea that we can't hurt the legacy of Chardok doors because the lore and class of picklock utility while everyone in the game is wearing illusions is so trash and insulting I just can't even fully process how I feel about it.

But for the OP, well written. I read every word and I agree with you.
    lockjaws and Barraind like this.
  15. Chikkin Augur

Thank you!

I can only hope that more red names see/read this. I'm sure DreamWeaver has.

Also since we did get one dev response, and the response was actually a fix/option that doesn't work, I figured they may respond or edit their post. But that hasn't happened either. All I can do is hope this gains more traction as more people see it. Until it is enough feedback to warrant a final answer from a decision-making red name.

It seems there could be some really creative solutions to the problem. The most fair I think would be to create quests (all keys should have quests, but this would be too much work for the current dev team) so some of the other solutions seems very reasonable
  16. Bamboompow Augur

Rogue: My dps seems to have stagnated with no new abilities added in comparison to other dps classes. Please state your reasoning for this?

DPG: We added a few locked doors to the game world. Also we addressed the complaints coming from the player community that rogues have an unfair advantage picking up collection items. It puts rogues in an advantage financially so there had to be some "balancing". (Insert Dr Evil air quote meme here)

Rogue: You're serious? For real? Well, how about giving rogues a burn that uses platinum instead of endurance then! :rolleyes:

DPG: You know, you might be on to something......
    lockjaws likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Platinum?? Insert DBC in place of platinum and the suits might pay attention.
  18. Bobokin Augur

That assumes that a Rogue or Bard is not part of the group to begin with. I guess that four Mage box group is going to have a hard time then.

You are saying Rogues and Bards picking locks instead of doing key quests would not be wanted in groups. How come a Mage can CotH through a locked door, but a Rogue can't pick it?

There should be more locked doors than there are, but almost all locks should have a key someplace, and almost all locks should be pickable. Anything else is inimmersive and lazy design for this genre of game.
    lockjaws and Fanra like this.
  19. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Good news, I think I found a solution. I made a rogue and got him to 105. (This was years ago around when the illusion nerf happened)
    When I had clashes with having to log in and out within that account too much, I made another rogue and got that one to 105 as well.

.....Well, go on.
  20. Azmadius Journeyman

A simple level detector would work. If you are X levels above the dungeon content the doors just open when clicked on as if you had the key/lock pick skill.
    lockjaws likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.