Kael & npc tanking/dpsing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by blood & gufts, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blood & gufts Augur

Seems it happens in all of Kael where there is "good" npc.

A single char can keep a big stretch cleared using the giants for tanking/killing.

Can there be a hot patch where something is done with it ? Seems it happens in all the zone.

It is kind of zone disruptive, and history said it was not possible in LCE and in SoD it was also changed and made harder.

It is used for killing normal mobs but also named ones.
    Duder likes this.
  2. Angahran Augur

You have always been able to pull hostile mobs to friendly mobs and have them help.
    You have to do more dps than they do in order to get the kill.

Get a group and you'll be much more efficient killing.
    Tucoh, kizant and Member No9 like this.
  3. blood & gufts Augur

Not in this degree of Kael version
  4. enclee Augur

At least people go and play in Kael.
  5. Hitty Augur

nope, it has been used and it can be used in many zones.
    Again so much people who are envy that now groupers can do that too. You had your run and you don't want others have their run? Or you have a problem not getting the camp? News: there are much more areas then only the 5+ giants in the south if you want to use the ability.

I don't use it because I tend to aggro the giants to often with AE and DPS is as good and a bit safer in a full group. But some are using that strat and in my opinion it is a facinating way and a really nice idea.It is even fun to watch that from the outside!

USUAL GRIND IS BORING LIKE HELL.

I have no clue if this was designed by intention but if so then cudos to the developer team. These are methods to change the usual 20 year old "always the same grind" to other options - even they are there in other zones but this time in a complete refreshing way!
    Member No9 likes this.
  6. Ashian Augur

I’ve never utilized this method of killing, but I’m very comfortable with it being in game. One of the reasons I fell in love with EQ 20 years ago was the diversity of ways to play the game. Druids could quad kite, necros could fear kite, or dozens of alternatives. I hate how most of these have been removed from the game.
  7. Gundolin Augur

As long as the people holding the south room let others run the partisan/merc quest it doesn't bother me. And most do without issue.
    Member No9 likes this.
  8. Laronk Augur

If they don't just kill the good giant npcs then they'll let you do your quest
    Whulfgar likes this.
  9. NecroOnTunare New Member

I discovered this approach a little late while questing in Kael....it’s quite fun but not without dangers. I’ve died many times when a friendly giant dies and then I get squashed because I was next on the aggrieved list and wasn’t paying full attention to that.

They have definitely changed something though in this patch...it appears that the friendly guards aren’t doing as much damage as they used to, so killing is much slower than before, and you can easily move up the aggro list (and so can your non-taunting pet). So it is now a much slower approach, and I probably won’t be using it anymore.

I did use this approach to attain a full set of faded off the Names...as a soloer, there is no way in hell that I could have taken them on face to face...my gut feel is that the Named will outlast the guards now, making this approach pretty risky. But I have yet to see how that pans out...

As one of the others mentioned, you could use this approach in several sections of Kael, making it an awesome zone for the solo artist. But now it looks like I’ll be heading elsewhere!
  10. Laronk Augur

according to the patch notes

Code:
    - Yealdin, beloved resident of Kael Drakkel, will no longer attack the undead giants and vice versa.
    It might be "nerfed" anyways
  11. svann Augur

Didnt they fix this in the patch? I saw on test server that live giant's dps is 10% of what it was before so not only would it take MUCH longer to kill anything but also they dont hold agro very well anymore.
  12. Hitty Augur

oh,, if they nerfed that, that would be really disappointing. Let the people their solo/molo options. Everquest should be for every playstyle and these Giants granted the solo/molo player some chances. Gosh... decision fail... again... if it is useless - hopefully at least it is still possible to use in any form.
  13. svann Augur

Course now that the live giants hit like freeport guards you might be able to get the dead giants to help kill live giants!
    HAHA!
    Hitty likes this.
  14. Monkman Augur

This was never considered acceptable use of the giants. It wasn’t intended to allow people to “solo” named with just npc assistance.
    Duder, Winnowyl and Allayna like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Should just make the fighting giants turn grey the same as spiders in Lceanium.
  16. kizant Augur

The reason guards work like that in Lceanium is because they're surrounding a town where people are doing quests and using merchants and things. Kael is a zone where you're only there to fight stuff and it wouldn't make much sense if the friendly giants wouldn't help you out. It would be silly to ruin the immersive experience that they've created.
  17. Angahran Augur

Not considered acceptable by who ? I don't recall seeing anything posted by DBG (DPG) about this.

Or is it just unacceptable to you ?
  18. Cicelee Augur

Well if anything, this thread is going to let everyone know who used the giants like that, and who did not pre patch...
    Allayna and Jondalar like this.
  19. svann Augur

agree and,
    There were actually 3 threads asking if it was ok. The devs chose to not answer. If its not disallowed, then its allowed.

And Ill just like to add for general purposes: Anyone that consistently boxes their own group has no standing to throw shade at people that find a way to xp without other's help.
  20. Monkman Augur

I two-box, and if anything it wouldn’t be the first time DPG has not stated something is “unintended” gameplay. Take this nerf as their answer to that question. Otherwise nothing would have been tweaked.
    Allayna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.