Pulling/Splitting tricks needed for my 3 box

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gio-Cefalu, Feb 11, 2020.

1. AppleSplatter Journeyman

As it was said before, splitting with feign death can result in mobs wandering back separately. If you're lucky, the namer will wander back last. It might take a few tries. Make sure you FD before your cleric heals you (you may get dotted) and shield flash can help a bunch.

I was trying to think of a way to use Companion of Necessity or swarm pets to help, but I can't think of any benefit. Don't pull with a duration spell like audacity, or the other hate dot. That probably wouldn't help anything.
  2. Cloud the Third Augur

Learn how to play an SK would be my best advice. My main buddy tank is an SK and he pulls all the time. Almost everything in ToV is undead and SK can lull undead along with FD splitting and snare splitting.
  3. arsenil Lorekeeper

pull them all slow them and kill everything
  4. Celephane Augur

Train them on other groups/characters in the area. This will cause them to become spread out and some might even die. Then you can pick off the rest at your leisure. This is evil. This is the way.
    Flatchy, Kaenneth and Buster_Shruggs like this.
  5. Borm_of_fv Apprentice

Is your first response always going to be unbridled arrogance? It’s old tired and probably unmerited. He\she asked a valid question and most of the responses have been helpful or well intentioned. Then, there’s yours.....
  6. bigpapa Augur

easy to coh pull when you are used to it as well .
    you can snare and run away some and get coh to clear agro, or cast coh followed with shm ae root and see how many are rooted.

just not be too close to the mage when you coh pull, to not get agro,
  7. Whulfgar Augur

And .. ?
  8. svann Augur

Dude. He asked for advice. Telling him to be better isnt advice its just taunting. grow up
    Hitty, AppleSplatter, Lubianx and 2 others like this.
  9. Cloud the Third Augur

Truth hurts doesn't it? But it is much faster than BSing.
  10. svann Augur

No, when someone asks for advice he is looking for ways to better himself. Telling him to learn to be better is useless as that was the point of the thread itself. He was clearly trying to learn to be better but you dont want to help you just want to inflate your ego with this BS.

Bottom line - why would you have a problem with someone asking advice?
    Kaenneth likes this.
  11. Cloud the Third Augur

Guess you can't read the entire thing I posted.
  12. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Don't waste your time feeding the trolls. After telling me to "Get good," he raved about his SK buddy who uses lull undead and snare. If he had taken the time to actually read my post, he would see that I clearly stated that I can't use those skills against these specific mobs, which are immune.

I really do appreciate all the helpful suggestions, though.
    kizant, Hitty, svann and 2 others like this.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

Couple things..

One: your not using the tools your sk has for survivability.. you mentioned being summoned by all 3 mobs after you get vp to stick.. Stop using damage to pull mobs.. dont use weapons on mobs u til after they are CC'd.. this should be pretty basic pull techniques 101. Sk's have a front 6 second (1tick) duration zero melee damage capability. Use that per each pull .

Two: stop using vp.. use spiritual rbuke.. as it is not sjngle target .. its co al frontal ae and hits up to 8 mobs. And it has a 5 min root component. And from what ive personally seen its got a fail rate of almost nvr.

Three READ THE AAS.. Learn the classes your playing.. literally reading the aa's capabilities.. is all ya gotta do ..
  14. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

You have options. Try this...

1.) Send in SK don't hit autoattack but hit deflection
    2.) Nuke 1 mob with mage - stick pet on mob (turn pet taunt on) when it's far enough away from others
    3.) Send in mage fade pet (Companion of Necessity) to get aggro and then mez mobs
    4.) CoH SK / entire group & fade mage before deflection wears off & then fade mage
    5.) Be prepared to tank them all if that fails

I actually do something similar to break up camps on my Paladin since I also box a mage.

You could also load 3 healer mercs and kill them all. Running your harmonious + deflection + shield flash to start the fight should give you enough time to burn through 1 or 2 of the mobs or spread everyone else around on the mobs that they're going to kill. Use the mage pet to off tank at least one mob. Could also use servants to off-tank a mob too. So the mage alone can handle 2 mobs, the shaman and his pet can handle the 3rd, that leaves the SK to tank 1 or 2 mobs. Wind of Malo from the mage should help the shaman land the VP punt/root if you need to do that.

Another option is to just lead with the Companion of Necessity to aggro everything and then use the SK to drag one mob out. Stick the mage pet on the one you drug out and then you'd have to use fade/FD with the mage and sk to make sure you drop aggro from the 1st 4 mobs that the companion was on (sometimes it fails to do it's job).
  15. Gio-Cefalu Augur

1. I'm not using a damaging spell to pull, and I never indicated such. I'll either use snare, Hate's Attraction, or Terror, none of which cause damage. I suspect that once the mob gets close to me, it's a riposte that does enough damage for the mob to summon.
    2. If you're referring to Deflection, it's a 12 second melee mitigation ability, which is awesome, but it's on a 20 minute timer, so I can't use that on each pull. I generally don't use that if I'm just trying to split pull. I'd rather use Deflection when I know I have the named mob coming to camp.
    3. As I mentioned in the original post, I do use the AE root/pushback on the shaman, but it's not very dependable, so I don't rely on it. If it doesn't work, or breaks very early, then you're in a tight spot because you're stuck with a group of mobs. If they are just PHs, I can disc and tank, which is no biggee. If I have the named mob, too, this method doesn't work that well, which is why I was asking for other solutions.
    4. Thank you for telling me to read the AAs. I seriously have never done that, ever, since playing the ShadowKnight since 2013. If only I had done this sooner! /Sarcasm Off. I've read the AAs many times and use them as best as I can. I think if you actually read my initial post, you would realize I have familiarity with the abilities of the classes I play.
  16. Coronay Augur

He wasn’t referring to deflection. Talking about shield flash
    Celephane likes this.
  17. Gio-Cefalu Augur

That makes more sense, but I still like to save it for when I'm tanking the named mob (or even a PH) and about to die but waiting for a heal from my shaman or the merc. It has a 4 minute reuse, so I couldn't use it before every pull anyway, but yes, it could be used more frequently than Deflection.
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Call of the Hero + FD to split is probably the best method if you can’t HA, root, or pacify.

Original monk FD splitting was done without snare, you just need to watch the mobs path back, typically they will have different reset/linger timers . However there are some zones with no linger timers and mobs reset immediately after aggro is dropped so it may not work here.

Another option, you can aggro things on SK set him to autorun away from camp, tag a single mob with your shaman or mage with hard aggro spell, bringing it to camp, sic pet to tank temporarily while mob is in camp, fade on the toon who tagged the mob in, FD SK and then CoTH the SK back to camp so he can stand and take over tanking.
  19. Petalonyx Augur

I use coth in such situations. It is fail proof as long as you have room. I typically set up, then begin casting group coth (i like it's longer cast time) then swap back and pull. Be ready to repeat. A coth macro that includes a long /pause before pull can also be used.

There is a button to lock in running, that can also help while coth pulling (just point into open space, lock in a run, and toggle to coth).

Very worst case, you can set up two pullers, each pretargetting a different mob, then start a delayed group coth macro, and pull the two mobs in different directions. That is sometimes hard to pull off, and i only use it when nothing else works.

Each pull will be different, and you have a ton of tools available between SK, Sham, Mage. When the SK and Sham have problems, try out CotH, it is pretty safe compared to many of the other strats.
  20. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Thanks for the tips everyone. I played a little bit this morning before coming into work.

Using the old school "FD and wait" approach, I was eventually able to single pull, but it was much slower. Sometimes the mobs take very strange paths back to their camp. I will hop up and try to get them to run away from each other, which works sometimes unless they run into other groups of mobs. In the end, this did work, but it will slow down my ability to keep the camp broken at the pace I'd like.

I also used COTH some. Strangely, the named mob wanders right next to my camp, which wiped me once, but the second time I was ready for it and was able COH my SK to hop up and aggro him in camp while the others went back to their camp. I also need to be sure I'm far enough away from camp that COTH will clear aggro. I don't remember the specific distance, but I know it only clears aggro if the character is greater than a certain distance from the mage.

While these methods did slow down my killing at the camp, the good news is that I should only need to pull this way if the named mob is up.