More FV-like servers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xkin, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Xkin New Member

I am a returning player from years ago. I looked over the new server types that are available now.

My question, which certainly is not new but I would like a discussion, is "could we have more FV-like servers?" It appears from my recent inspection that FV is very successful and might be the right combination of robust bazaar and high population that players are looking for. Just a thought since DB seems to be testing new combinations of rules to appeal to players - they might consider an already winning combo in FV.
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Or the reason it looks successful is .. because its the only 1 of its kind.. Thus the entire population of those types of players are all on 1 server.

You forgot to mention this very real reason.
  3. Xkin New Member

Well, I wanted a discussion. I didn't want to lay out all of the possibilities. One scenario is that some people may like the FV setup but don't like the high population and, hence, might consider a new FV server.

But, you could have the answer and no new players would arrive at new FV servers. But I wanted to float the idea. DB could set up a second FV and see if they maintain the original FV and get some love on a new FV clone. Just a thought.
  4. feeltheburn Augur

5. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Brekt is the 2nd FV server, and is empty. Your experiment has been tried and failed.
    Szilent, Ssdar, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  6. Xkin New Member

I missed Brekt due to my not playing until recently. Oh well.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

Yes FV has a decent population. No its not a large enough population to warrant literally creating an entirely new FV styled server.

If it was not worth it when EQ was in its heyday of 500k subs .. It certainly is less so now..
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In fairness Brekt wasn't started in classic with FV rules, it began life as Quarm a short life event server until OMM was beaten there, and that was never going to attract as many players as a server starting in classic so you are maybe half-right at most.

There has been no other Free Trade server started in classic as of yet, so the OP does have a point to argue in spite of Brekt's existence &/or failure.
  9. Fredescu Augur

To be unnecessarily technical, FV started in Kunark, not classic.

I agree that a new one is unnecessary. FV is popular but it's not so full that it's causing any problems.
  10. smash Augur

11. code-zero Augur

Well, if free trade was in fact a strong draw for a server Brekt should be much more popular than it is. It doesn't have the weird lack of common language and a couple of other things that held over from FV's original ruleset. I suppose that if there were free one way transfers to Brekt like FV had that there may be the possibility of it having a larger population though
  12. enclee Augur

High population servers attract more players than low population servers, it’s why FV got the free transfer and bonus experience added on. Also, no one remembers Brekt exists.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  13. bigpapa Augur

is brekt got the same 50 % xp bonus FV have?

and FV rock , many play there , sometime , specially in weekend it can have 3 or 4 general chats with some maxed , and new players close to 400 in it as well.

sure it got some ** D_ck players { like other servers can have } , but i know many there who are very helpfull , and i see everyday players looking for more * at any levels *.

---------->>> i would say yes for another server like FV .
  14. Qbert Gallifreyan

No.
  15. Hateseeker Augur

Brekt was the dumping ground for post-Quarm characters. Who was ever going to join that server after Quarm anyway? Who would have joined it even if it wasn't open trade loot? Who would even join any kind of brand new live server (regardless of rules) that opens at max level? TLP is what a new server needs to be.

An open trade loot TLP would be successful provided they dont pair it with other rulesets that dont make sense for it. Also, I don't call the requested new open trade TLP a "FV" server, I call it open trade loot, because we all know people arent looking for a "FV" server to have language restrictions, roleplay tag, etc.

Make Selo 2.0 open trade loot the way Selo 1.0 should have been!
  16. Borm_of_fv Apprentice

FV was, first and foremost, a role playing server. I started the first day of the server. Free trade was part of the selling point, but it was the role play that interested most of us. Good could not group with evil(without a hack work around). Language was different. If they brought back rp to another server I would join.

Slowly, the l33t (old school get gud) took over and by 2003 it was jut a special rules server. But for 18 months it was a special place, a unique community. I mourn its loss.